You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a laugh - they Rang Nick and got Ralf

rb14

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Yep, while I don't think Solskjaer would have got them back to the top, the clubs obsession with social media metrics torpedoed what he was building. Pivoting to signing Ronaldo just when they had been trying to strengthen the midfield sealed their fate.

If you can't find a way to have a unified recruitment policy, you're doomed. At Chelsea, the manager has nearly no input, but they last 5 mins and in general it works for them. Klopp found a way to work with Edwards. It was a complete mess before. It didn't matter which of them chose the players, there were just too many who failed. Over there OGS had one policy and those outside had an Instagram. It's different to the mess we were in, but both are a mess. Another klopp masterstroke right there, finding a way to get the best out of Edwards and his team rather than creating division and a "your signing / my signing " set up. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Razoray said:

He is but he is the least of their problems. He seems like a good pro. It's not his fault they paid £80m for him. 

He shouldn't be at a club like Manchester United but I bet he isn't a cancer in the dressing room like half of the cunts there currently. 

It's disgusting what they have done to Maguire and I'm not condoning it for a second but I'd have more time for their "fans" if they went after Pogba 

Its not about what a nice lad he is or isn't or how good a pro he is or isn't. With Maguire they can't play a high line because he is slow. 

They played Varanne and Lindelof yesterday and they could play a higher line and it worked quite well. 

The problems came from the ludicrously bad Telles. 

7 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

As bad as Maguire is I’m starting to feel a bit sorry for him as he, at this point is

essentially a meme. He doesn’t help himself of course but literally the whole football world is laughing at him.

Nah, fuck him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Yep, while I don't think Solskjaer would have got them back to the top, the clubs obsession with social media metrics torpedoed what he was building. Pivoting to signing Ronaldo just when they had been trying to strengthen the midfield sealed their fate.

Did he buy 1 good player in his time there?

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

As bad as Maguire is I’m starting to feel a bit sorry for him as he, at this point is

essentially a meme. He doesn’t help himself of course but literally the whole football world is laughing at him.

He's an £80m Phil Jones wannabe.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

He was building fuck all, and was fully on board with the club's mantra of being the biggest/best/richest just because they are Man Utd, so he had no problems with that approach.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Trumo said:

He was building fuck all, and was fully on board with the club's mantra of being the biggest/best/richest just because they are Man Utd, so he had no problems with that approach.

For better or worse he was building something, certainly internally amongst the players they were less fractured than they are now.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

1_England-v-Albania-FIFA-World-Cup-2022-European-Qualifying-Group-I-Wembley-Stadium.jpg

He's foolish. If you have a very large head, you don't put your hands either side so you look like you've got an even larger head. Steve Bruce could have told him that. Steve is a clever man. He's made his stomach larger so that it distracts attention away from his head.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

For better or worse he was building something, certainly internally amongst the players they were less fractured than they are now.

Nah. What’s really striking is how quickly everything has crumbled. Whatever he was building, it was built on sand - and after it collapsed there’s little you’d want to build back with. 
There are all sorts of reasons for that; sure, buying a 36-year-old Ronaldo, who meant the entire attacking strategy had to be junked, in exchange for a £13million per year salary, was the most striking part of it.
The whole transfer strategy was wrong-headed from day one, in just about every part of the pitch. He spent £350million and so much of it was on complete junk - Maguire, Pellistri, Diallo, Wan-Bissaka, James, Ignalo and van de Beek cost £218million. Have any of those players made a positive impact? Would any of them get into any Top Six side? That’s not building, it’s just spending lots of money, badly. 

But above all, the team Solksjaer built peaked last season. Pretty much every player, bar de Gea, seems to have regressed, perhaps irreversibly. They’ve got three big players out of contract, whose last year with the club have been entirely wasted - Cavani as a massively-paid back-up, Pogba with his eye on the exit, and Lingard openly claiming the club lied to him. Last season was now or never, and all they managed was a distant second-place finish. 
Shame they didn’t stick with him. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I keep reading that Ronaldo is their main issue and a bad influence,  but then read he has scored 8 of their last 9 goals and raced back after the loss of a child.

He was a bad signing in terms of any kind of team spirit or harmony but he looks like a prime Messi in that squad.

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He was a bad signing in terms of any kind of team spirit or harmony but he looks like a prime Messi in that squad.

I can see both sides. I’d love to have seen  where they’d be without him this season. 

29 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I can see both sides. I’d love to have seen  where they’d be without him this season. 

2019/2020 season (without Ronaldo)

6 players scored at least 5 goal in the team, of which 2 scored more than 10 and 2 scored more than 20.

2020/2021 season (without Ronaldo)

8 players scored at least 5 goal in the team, of which 2 scored more than 10 and 2 scored more than 20.

2021/2022 season (with Ronaldo)

5 players scored at least 5 goal in the team, of which 0 scored more than 10 and 1 scored more than 20.

• Upvote 1

Give this new fella till Xmas then when they're mid table again call in the dream team, sort it all out, the United legends, Rooney and Giggs joint managers, big Ron director of football, all three a bit controversial but all three know the club inside out. What could go wrong?