You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a laugh - they Rang Nick and got Ralf

rb14

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I have to admit, I think he comes off as a charisma-less little dweeb and will fail miserably.

I hope they appoint him. 

Has a reasonable record with 2 (3 soon ) Eredivisies, but seems to have gone backward in Europe since the Spurs game, and it's one thing looking after a club with mainly young lads who have come through the junior set up or come back after foreign experiences,  to herding cats with the entitled and overpaid denizens of Old Trafford. 

25 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Has a reasonable record with 2 (3 soon ) Eredivisies, but seems to have gone backward in Europe since the Spurs game, and it's one thing looking after a club with mainly young lads who have come through the junior set up or come back after foreign experiences,  to herding cats with the entitled and overpaid denizens of Old Trafford. 

Could say the say about Frank De Boer! 

Be incredible if Ten Haag had a start like Frank De Boer at Palace.

Months long search, extensive interview process and then sacked in 5 games without scoring a goal.

28 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Could say the say about Frank De Boer! 

Be incredible if Ten Haag had a start like Frank De Boer at Palace.

Months long search, extensive interview process and then sacked in 5 games without scoring a goal.

What we really want is them to be shit, but not shit enough for them to avoid the trap of 'well, he needs time and he's rebuilding, and it's the players'. We want it to drag out as long as it possibly can. That said, I think he might end up being a decent appointment, but it can go either way. I think a lot really does depend on whether or not he is given the power to get rid of the toxic, lazy, useless sacks of shit at the club. He - or whoever takes over - needs to wrestle back power from the players and cut their way through the squad. Alternatively, please fuck everything up for years. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know what to make of ten Hag. He's clearly a decent coach and his Ajax team generally punch above their weight and play good football. But he doesn't seem to be a particularly big personality, just a facilitator - and Ajax are as stable a structure in European football as you'll find, with expectation levels - from board and fanbase - kept pretty realistic.

He'll have none of that at the toilet. They need a big character, someone totemic like Houllier was for us, who can transform the club and dressing room culture, shame the dickheads into compliance or show them the door. I'm not sure he's that. They're also dysfunctional as hell from top to bottom so he won't have the benefit of a stable club to just slot into. And he'll be working to impossible expectations from all angles so the deck is stacked against him.

Still though - other than Klopp or Guardiola, who out there would be an absolute banker for them? I don't think the coach is the quick fix they want it to be because there's nobody who's that good who's available. They tried some of the 'best of the rest' candidates (well, Jose anyway) and they couldn't do it - so the only way back for them is the long haul of rebuilding the club from the ground up whilst an impatient set of cunts watch on in despair at having lost their vessel for one-upmanship turn into a "project" rather than the "biggest club in the world."

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, Manny said:

I don't know what to make of ten Hag. He's clearly a decent coach and his Ajax team generally punch above their weight and play good football. But he doesn't seem to be a particularly big personality, just a facilitator - and Ajax are as stable a structure in European football as you'll find, with expectation levels - from board and fanbase - kept pretty realistic.

He'll have none of that at the toilet. They need a big character, someone totemic like Houllier was for us, who can transform the club and dressing room culture, shame the dickheads into compliance or show them the door. I'm not sure he's that. They're also dysfunctional as hell from top to bottom so he won't have the benefit of a stable club to just slot into. And he'll be working to impossible expectations from all angles so the deck is stacked against him.

Still though - other than Klopp or Guardiola, who out there would be an absolute banker for them? I don't think the coach is the quick fix they want it to be because there's nobody who's that good who's available. They tried some of the 'best of the rest' candidates (well, Jose anyway) and they couldn't do it - so the only way back for them is the long haul of rebuilding the club from the ground up whilst an impatient set of cunts watch on in despair at having lost their vessel for one-upmanship turn into a "project" rather than the "biggest club in the world."

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

Ten Hag is definitely not the answer.

I used to think this lot were at the stage of being like us between 1991 and the early 2000's and beyond.

Now, I think they are in a lot worse position because not only are their players seemingly at each others throats, their fans unlike ours at the time, are also in open revolt against the club.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What we really want is them to be shit, but not shit enough for them to avoid the trap of 'well, he needs time and he's rebuilding, and it's the players'. We want it to drag out as long as it possibly can. That said, I think he might end up being a decent appointment, but it can go either way. I think a lot really does depend on whether or not he is given the power to get rid of the toxic, lazy, useless sacks of shit at the club. He - or whoever takes over - needs to wrestle back power from the players and cut their way through the squad. Alternatively, please fuck everything up for years. 

The only thing I believe can help them long term is to find a generational talent like Klopp or Guardiola, (and Simeone or Conte to a lesser extent) someone who is respected enough to be allowed to set up a system, take no shit from anyone while being afforded time and patience.

Unluckily for them coaches like that are thin on the ground at the moment.

1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

Unluckily for them coaches like that are thin on the ground at the moment.

And those that might have the potential wouldn't be afforded the time and patience from owners or fans. They'd both prefer to have a 46 year old upfront with a marketable goal celebration.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Manny said:

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

A fully backed Conte would have been perfect for them. He had the personality, the experience and the standing to bring that squad in line and flush out the bad apples. I’m so glad he went to spurs. 

I agree that Ten Haag could go either way. I reckon with the right support he could be great but they don’t have the infrastructure to support him in a first big job. It reminds me of Brendan Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

A fully backed Conte would have been perfect for them. He had the personality, the experience and the standing to bring that squad in line and flush out the bad apples. I’m so glad he went to spurs. 

I agree that Ten Haag could go either way. I reckon with the right support he could be great but they don’t have the infrastructure to support him in a first big job. It reminds me of Brendan Rodgers.

Now, there’s a name that should be on the top of their tongues over at the am-dram fever dream arena.

Perfect for the role and I reckon MU can afford loads more envelopes than Leicester. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lario said:

De Gea has the second highest number of saves in the league this season!

Look at the cost of Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Verane, Shaw in front of him, and he's still having to bail them out every week!

Makes you think where they'd be without him...

3 hours ago, JagSquared said:

At the risk of taking the thread off focus, one of the highlights of the weekend games was the handshake between Brendan and Vieira at the end of the game. It looked like 'Bring your kid to work day '.

Conte is probably what they needed, but I imagine when they sounded him out, he would have wanted to get rid of Ronaldo or bench him at the very least. After all the noise the club made following his signing, they'd be reluctant to take such a course of action just a few months later.

Their owners seem happy to have the money continue rolling in, and only when there's a possibility of that being under threat do they take any decisive action. I guarantee that if the club's various sponsors hadn't commented on the fan protest and stadium break-in last season, and if the club's share price on the NYSE hadn't taken a bit of a dive, they wouldn't have made the 'placate the masses' signings they made last summer. They'd have still spent a ton on signings, but they'd be more like 'Fred for £50m' or 'Lindelof/Bailly for £30m' than Sancho and Varane for an additional 50%.

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I used to think this lot were at the stage of being like us between 1991 and the early 2000's and beyond.

Now, I think they are in a lot worse position because not only are their players seemingly at each others throats, their fans unlike ours at the time, are also in open revolt against the club.

The other, quite significant but subtle difference, is that there isn’t a radical change in ethos going on in football generally.

when we brought in Houllier, we had a culture in our club - like in most clubs in the English game - that needed to be modernised and professionalised. Wenger had done it at arsenal, but otherwise it was new. 

forcing that change was a reason to get rid of players that didn’t fit, and have a possibility for complete cultural overhaul.

United have all the problems of a club that still believes it’s no longer deserve hype, but without being genuinely unprofessional.

now you need to get culture change without a clear rationale for culture change, other than there being too many billy big bollocks around.

• Upvote 1

Love the fact their shithouse rat supporters are starting their protests against the Glazers again now their season has gone to shite

They really are only a problem when they’re losing aren't they? All the noise died when they got Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo in.

Now season has gone to shite - they are off again.

Still waiting for their punishment for getting a game called off……