You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a laugh - they Rang Nick and got Ralf

rb14

The problem isn't even signing a 37 year old player, though if I was a decision maker, I'd never do that. The problem is buying a player of his status. If Cavani isn't fit, I'd play Fernandes false 9 and give Pogba more attacking freedom. But they can't do that because they have to play Ronaldo.

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

To be fair to this Gary Moore cunt, at least he's not written a wrestling analogy.

The mancs really are the biggest shower of gimps going. Fuck them, may their misery be painful & prolonged.

The wrestling analogy, in this instance at least, was spot on! 

Arsenal have four or five very good young players. Not going to stick my colours to the mast about Arteta but he looks like he has the makings of doing a good job there. 

Spurs have Conte but I guess that train could smash into the bollards at any point, especially if one of the big Italian clubs or PSG decide they are prepared to put up with a world class manager who demands his every whim is met. 

United have what looks to me like the German Bielsa, a guy who is more lauded than actual substance. In fairness to him, I guess he inherited an absolute clusterfuck. They are so badly managed that Sancho looks like a half decent Brentford quality player rather than the potentially outstanding player he is. Rashford is still a fine player, but you wouldn't say he has kicked on for a few years. Greenwood looked world class player in waiting and that's a huge loss for them - I mean clearly he is a complete dickhead so maybe his personality could have stopped him getting to that level in fairness. The others - Ronaldo was a magnificent player, the second best of his generation, but is a lot more harm than good now. Cavani is possibly still world class when fit - I actually love him as a player still, De Gea looks like he is back in some kind of form but not the world class player of a few years ago. Varane was (is) a top player so maybe that might turn out okay for them. The rest of them are mediocrity and I include Pogba who is a complete waste of time. They are in a mess. Hillariously, you just know they sell Lindgaard and he does very well for West Ham or whoever. A complete mess of a team.

Must be worse for united that Liverpool are a good side who look well run and their local rivals are the biggest cheats in world football completely dominating the Premier league for most of the last 5 years. Oligarch FC being European an World champions can't help either I mean they grind my gears and things are going well with us.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Starting to think guardiola pretends to be interested in players, then let's united 'steal' their target 

If you think about it, why wouldn't teams devote time and energy into causing their rivals to overspend? A bad transfer can be equally as damaging to a club as a good transfer is positive.

There's no doubt in my mind that City get involved in bidding wars for players they have no intention of signing. How else can you explain £55m on Fred and £80m on Maguire?

14 hours ago, A_S said:

It'd be fucking hilarious if that was their thinking with Big Virg!

I don't think it was the case with Virg. There was a scene in the City documentary where the Chairman (Khaldoon) and the Director of Football (Txiki) at City were discussing signing Van Dijk. City, Chelsea and us enquired about him and all of us were quoted £75m by Southampton. The chairman literally says "You can't be serious. What are we doing here? He's a central defender". They took the piss out of us for paying that amount of money, but we had the last laugh.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

I don't think it was the case with Virg. There was a scene in the City documentary where the Chairman (Khaldoon) and the Director of Football (Txiki) at City were discussing signing Van Dijk. City, Chelsea and us enquired about him and all of us were quoted £75m by Southampton. The chairman literally says "You can't be serious. What are we doing here? He's a central defender". They took the piss out of us for paying that amount of money, but we had the last laugh.

They bought Laporte for like 60m that same window. That whole scene was some produced nonsense.

On 12/02/2022 at 17:55, Code said:

To be fair to C.Ronaldo, he has 8 goals and 3 assists in the league, only four players have scored more than him,  in the CL he has got 6 goals in 5 games.

Only 2 goals, 1 assist in their last 13 though. Definitely not suited to Ragnick's style 

12 hours ago, Trumo said:

As long as they keep signing players to "make a statement" instead of ones that can be meshed together to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts, they'll continue to look like 1980s Man Utd.

It's like when Big Ron threw piles of money at the nom du jour in the 80s to try and win a title and they all turned to shit.

Terry Gibson, Peter Barnes, Garth Crooks, Laurie Cunningham, Alan Brazil, Peter Davenport all signed in a 3 year phase. A bucket of crap/busted flushes

On 12/02/2022 at 20:44, 3 Stacks said:

The problem isn't even signing a 37 year old player, though if I was a decision maker, I'd never do that. The problem is buying a player of his status. If Cavani isn't fit, I'd play Fernandes false 9 and give Pogba more attacking freedom. But they can't do that because they have to play Ronaldo.

They've got more problems than just Ronaldo. They've got two average fullbacks, one of them can't attack and the other can't defend. Their £80m central defender can't play a high line because he's too slow. The midfield is shambolic. Fred and McTominey are rubbish footballers. Pogba is a total liability defensively.

They were always going to take a hit to their ego this season because their 2nd place finish was bullshit. We were forced to play a Championship level defender and a Conference level defender for the majority of the season. Their title challenge was destined to end like this...

B3EC9DC3E.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Upvote 1

On 11/02/2022 at 01:02, Razoray said:

It looks like Henderson, Wan-Bissaka, Bailly, Jones, Pogba, Matic, VD Beek, Mata, Martial, Greenwood (might be still paying his wages though), Lingard, Cavani and (if latest rumours are to believed) Ronaldo are all out the door this summer. 

They will have 

De Gea

Dalot Varane Maguire Telles

McTominay Fred

Sancho Fernandes Elanga 

Rashford 

Heaton, Lindelof, Shaw and kids on the bench.

That 11 would be in contention for top4 at best but the squad is threadbare. They will be spending fortunes on reinforcements again. In 2000 we were  couple of years into Houlliers reign and were turning a corner. They are starting from scratch again.

It's superb 

Even appreciating that some of those are out of contract, that’s a lot of players to try and shift. I can’t conceive of anyone paying the wages some of those must be on. 

5 hours ago, Razoray said:

It's like when Big Ron threw piles of money at the nom du jour in the 80s to try and win a title and they all turned to shit.

Terry Gibson, Peter Barnes, Garth Crooks, Laurie Cunningham, Alan Brazil, Peter Davenport all signed in a 3 year phase. A bucket of crap/busted flushes

didn't realise he played for them!?!?!? that explains a lot

On 11/02/2022 at 01:02, Razoray said:

It looks like Henderson, Wan-Bissaka, Bailly, Jones, Pogba, Matic, VD Beek, Mata, Martial, Greenwood (might be still paying his wages though), Lingard, Cavani and (if latest rumours are to believed) Ronaldo are all out the door this summer. 

They will have 

De Gea

Dalot Varane Maguire Telles

McTominay Fred

Sancho Fernandes Elanga 

Rashford 

Heaton, Lindelof, Shaw and kids on the bench.

That 11 would be in contention for top4 at best but the squad is threadbare. They will be spending fortunes on reinforcements again. In 2000 we were  couple of years into Houlliers reign and were turning a corner. They are starting from scratch again.

It's superb 

Even appreciating that some of those are out of contract, that’s a lot of players to try and shift. I can’t conceive of anyone paying the wages some of those must be on. 

Eighty million quid on a grock with a top speed of 4mph and the turning circle of Bezos' new substitution for a personality, fucking marvelous.

The only thing better could better is if they insisted he signed a six year deal with the option of a seventh on a fucking fortune that nobody else would ever match...

• Upvote 2