You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a laugh - they Rang Nick and got Ralf

rb14

39 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Ronaldo signing is just a hilarious situation. They actually had a good attack last season and they've managed to neuter it thus far and get worse by signing their former hero and another 80m attacker. You couldn't write this stuff.

I watched a good few Juve games last season and Ronaldo is basically a very well paid goal hanger now. It's purely to appease United fans who've always dreamt about him 'coming home' even though he literally spent years engineering a move to Madrid.

I wrote the above in a group chat after he signed and got nothing but shit from Untied fans over it. It's nice to be vindicated.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Didn't take long...

Screenshot_20220105-014225_Chrome.jpg

The players gave up on Moyes.

The players gave up on Mourinho.

The players gave up on Solakjaer.

Sounds like history is repeating itself.

Although I no expert and certainly no expert on the mancs, this 4-2-2-2 he’s got them playing “feels” wrong. 

They were absolutely shite against Newcastle & Wolves (I didn’t see Norwich) and it was absolutely glorious.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

They were just as bad against Norwich. David De Gea was the man of the match which says it all. 

Whoever comes in during the summer is going to need a significant amount of time and patience. They need a change in culture more than they need a change in players.

Granted, the two will probably end up going hand in hand, but they need a Houllier type reset when players like Ince, Ruddock, McAteer, James and some other big time Charlie’s were ruthlessly bombed out. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Whoever comes in during the summer is going to need a significant amount of time and patience. They need a change in culture more than they need a change in players.

Granted, the two will probably end up going hand in hand, but they need a Houllier type reset when players like Ince, Ruddock, McAteer, James and some other big time Charlie’s were ruthlessly bombed out. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

See, this is being said around the league, and in my opinion it's just not true! They have a lot of high-profile players, bought way over their real market value. Add in a few over-hyped youngsters, with the whole squad being on massive wages, and it's pretty much a complete mess.

The season they got 2nd under Mourinho is about the biggest anomaly in terms of Xg and actual results since Opta began. Solskjaer's 2nd place being the other. I've never seen a "big" team being consistently outplayed as much as this post-Fergie United. The one time they were looking like they were assembling a coherent possession based team was under LVG, and he got the boot for not being attacking enough, not playing "the United way".

The "penalty years" under Solskjaer lulled them into thinking they were on the right track, with their diving/theatrics being rewarded to a such degree that even fellow managers felt the need to comment on it. Fact is, they've performed to 4th-8th place over the last few years, and are firmly stuck in mid-table mode.

I've made a few posts on this topic before, but I'll repeat the highlights. To play a similar style of us, Chelsea or City (possession-based with great focus on high(gegen) press, and attacking width from the full-backs, I reckon this might be their best shot;

-------------------------De Gea-------------------

Dalot---------Varane---------Bailly---------Shaw

------------------------Matic-----------------------

--------------Fernandes------Fred----------------

Greenwood--------Cavani------------Rashford

How many out of that lot would you have starting for us on current evidence?

I'd take De Gea, Varane and Greenwood as good squad options from that lot, possibly Fernandes (though he gives the ball away more than Luis Garcia ever did for us). The other players are just not a good fit for a modern style of football/Premier League tempo (Shaw and Matic are probably borderline cases as well).

I wouldn't have a single player starting for us out of that lot. It's way beyond coaching too. Someone like Pogba might shine on the international tournament stage, having Kante and 1 other to do his dirty work. Helps playing a few matches a month too. Ronaldo is the same, completely unfit for a pressing style. He's so rigid in his movements these days that the only option is to use him as a goal-hanger.

Martial and Rashford are all tricks and no end product, but Rashford MIGHT be able to rescue his career still if he digs deep. Some of my Utd mates are ruling the same roost over Greenwood, but again, in my opinion, he's the most talented of the bunch.

It will be YEARS of waiting and misery for them before they threaten us, City (or even Chelsea) on a consistent basis again. Sure, they might fluke a 3rd or 4th place here and there over the next seasons, but they need a Klopp-like overhaul to get back to being real contenders. 

The only real hope for them is a mass exodus and striking gold with the new manager and his first few signings. Imaginge being finally rid of the Rooney debacle, then going out and getting Ronaldo, presenting yourself with the biggest possible headache in terms of team selection for the next couple of years. It's fucking poetry, and to quote Kramer going commando, "...and I'm lovin' every minute of it"!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Just reading that Ronaldo is ready to leave (again) if he doesn't approve of the next manager. They should just make him manager. I'm sure he'd do a wonderful job...

Just reading the same thing. 

I would say a free transfer to the MLS was on the horizon but given his court case, maybe not. 

Maybe the Middle East. They aren’t as bothered about protecting women’s rights there.