You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a laugh - they Rang Nick and got Ralf

rb14

13 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Could be their Ged in terms of modernising a club operating in ways it did in a bygone era.

Lets hope that’s not the case.

The fact he's only there as a consultant after this season suggests he won't be able to modernise the club - they'll be likely leaving that to murtough and Fletcher and hoping ragnick just helps them sign a few red bull players and he'll get some type of commission for helping them. 

If he really does turn out to be a good appointment then it’ll be more luck than judgement on the club’s part. 
They’ve needed somebody to be in charge of football operations for years - Solksjaer never had the clout to object to whoever they chose, and had surrounded himself with inexperienced assistants, so the board had a clear run to pick whoever they wanted. There was no excuse for leaving it until now. 
The timing also makes his job far more difficult. He’s not just in charge of sorting out the scouting, the coaching, the youth set-up, and obviously finding a new permanent manager, but he’s supposed to turn around the shambles that they’ve been on the field too. That’s a lot to do all at once. Maybe if he’d come in over the summer, before having to step in because Ole failed so badly this season, then I could be sympathetic. But instead he’s expected to do it all, being both firefighter and the man with the vision, from Day One. 
And then there’s the elephant in the room: What if he does well? And also: What if he is rubbish? We already know that Ewar Woowar is prepared to hand over the keys if a caretaker goes on a good run. Rangnick has a markedly better CV than his predecessor too (that’s not saying much, I admit) so it’ll be undeniably tempting, regardless of whether he’s the best man for the job. Of course, if United don’t do well then there will be people questioning whether Rangnick is the right man to choose the new manager. He’s effectively a luxury version of David Pleat, who seemed to spend the better part of a decade periodically spending a half season here, a half season there, filling in as Spurs caretaker manager in between signing young midfielders who wouldn’t amount to very much but might be sold on at a profit. 
It’s a mess, and even if he turns the team around over the next six months it’s been weirdly ham-fisted. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ron B said:

If he really does turn out to be a good appointment then it’ll be more luck than judgement on the club’s part. 
They’ve needed somebody to be in charge of football operations for years - Solksjaer never had the clout to object to whoever they chose, and had surrounded himself with inexperienced assistants, so the board had a clear run to pick whoever they wanted. There was no excuse for leaving it until now. 
The timing also makes his job far more difficult. He’s not just in charge of sorting out the scouting, the coaching, the youth set-up, and obviously finding a new permanent manager, but he’s supposed to turn around the shambles that they’ve been on the field too. That’s a lot to do all at once. Maybe if he’d come in over the summer, before having to step in because Ole failed so badly this season, then I could be sympathetic. But instead he’s expected to do it all, being both firefighter and the man with the vision, from Day One. 
And then there’s the elephant in the room: What if he does well? And also: What if he is rubbish? We already know that Ewar Woowar is prepared to hand over the keys if a caretaker goes on a good run. Rangnick has a markedly better CV than his predecessor too (that’s not saying much, I admit) so it’ll be undeniably tempting, regardless of whether he’s the best man for the job. Of course, if United don’t do well then there will be people questioning whether Rangnick is the right man to choose the new manager. He’s effectively a luxury version of David Pleat, who seemed to spend the better part of a decade periodically spending a half season here, a half season there, filling in as Spurs caretaker manager in between signing young midfielders who wouldn’t amount to very much but might be sold on at a profit. 
It’s a mess, and even if he turns the team around over the next six months it’s been weirdly ham-fisted. 

I don't think he's there to do any of those club level things. They only appointed murtough and Fletcher a couple of months ago into football director and technical director roles. I think he's there to get them through the season, try and persuade haaland and maybe some other red bulls join the squad and then he's out of there. I don't buy this "consultancy" stuff beyond player poaching, they just want access to his network and maybe make him less friendly to us as part of the deal. Why would 2 fellas who've been in the job a matter of months allow that? And if he has a serious job to do, why would he take a 6 month coaching gig, followed by some freelance work at the end of it? 

• 2 weeks later...

From the Gruns weekend preview, that'll sting...

'When Ralf Rangnick took charge of Manchester United, he doubtless eyed the 10-day break originally due for the period after Saturday’s game as an opportunity to inculcate and drill in his principles of play. Little did he know that a 10-year break might not be enough to get his squad to perform complexities such as thinking and trying, but at least he now has extra time to try.

Shows how irrelevant this lot are when they can drop points and be lucky to the worst team in the league and it doesn't even register anymore. 

But just watching SSN, Seville have apparently made an offer to take martial on loan for the season - without any option or obligation to buy. Apparently they are his preferred destination. 

Very interesting his interview after the Wolves defeat. Honest and good assessment of the game, like you get from Klopp. He spoke more sense in that one interview than his predecessor did in three years. 

Happy to say there’s absolutely no sign of improvement on the team so far though. Hopefully it stays that way, and they will be looking for a new manager again in the summer.

9 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Very interesting his interview after the Wolves defeat. Honest and good assessment of the game, like you get from Klopp. He spoke more sense in that one interview than his predecessor did in three years. 

Happy to say there’s absolutely no sign of improvement on the team so far though. Hopefully it stays that way, and they will be looking for a new manager again in the summer.

Some tricky questions though, asking which individuals under performed etc.

Quite telling interview from Luke Shaw  hinting at some players not doing it too.

Guest Alex_K

Mega predictable. Ronaldo is and always was the problem here. Solskjaer had them as a fair-to-decent top 4 Champions League level side (above Arsenal, Spurs). No manager can build a successful week-to-week domestic side with a 37 year talisman: its absolutely ludicrous.

22 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Mega predictable. Ronaldo is and always was the problem here. Solskjaer had them as a fair-to-decent top 4 Champions League level side (above Arsenal, Spurs). No manager can build a successful week-to-week domestic side with a 37 year talisman: its absolutely ludicrous.

I reckon he has it in his contract that he can't be subbed unless he's injured.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

I don't watch them much at all but towards the end of last season it did look like Solskjaer stumbled upon a system that worked well for them.  A defending deep, counter attacking style with the hard working Cavani leading the line.  They've tried to become a front foot attacking team while acomdating a huge selfish ego & its gone tits up thankfully.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

It's funny how many United fans don't see it that way either! Absolutely blinkered. 

7 minutes ago, KevieG said:

You could put it in the shit modern football thread, but this weird Ronaldo fetish has fucked them.

He's bigger than the club and everything must be worked to feed his ego. 

This in the replies is boss....

Just seen a tweet from a United fan saying Ronaldo has tested positive of being the greatest player in the world. A scouser replied ‘thank god he’s not showing any symptoms!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I still can't believe they didn't go for Conte. It's like Natalie Emmanuel being desperate to shag you, and you instead choose Natalie Cassidy because one of your mates said he saw her deepthroat a cucumber at a party - which turned out to be complete bullshit.

They thought they were getting their own Jurgen Klopp, and instead, they got a fella who plays Phil Jones (for the first time in 5 years) and plays a formation no football team has ever used before. It's brilliant to watch. Ronaldo's legacy is being flushed down the drain an' all. He can't handle the league. He's getting cuckolded by mid-table teams. Reduced to flailing arm gestures and blaming his teammates. Hey, Ronaldo? It's not them, mate... it's you. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12138330&f=1&nofb=1

You're fuckin' there mate... If I was you, I'd get back on that private jet of yours and fuck off!

6 minutes ago, Boss said:

I still can't believe they didn't go for Conte. It's like Natalie Emmanuel being desperate to shag you, and you instead choose Natalie Cassidy because one of your mates said he saw her deepthroat a cucumber at a party - which turned out to be complete bullshit.

They thought they were getting their own Jurgen Klopp, and instead, they got a fella who plays Phil Jones (for the first time in 5 years) and plays a formation no football team has ever used before. It's brilliant to watch. Ronaldo's legacy is being flushed down the drain an' all. He can't handle the league. He's getting cuckolded by mid-table teams. Reduced to flailing arm gestures and blaming his teammates. Hey, Ronaldo? It's not them, mate... it's you. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12138330&f=1&nofb=1

You're there mate... If I was you, I'd get back on that private jet and fuck off!

Most people didn't/don't rate Conte.

Some of the posts on here when he was appointed at Spurs were literally some of the dumbest football comments I've ever read.

• Like 1