You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a laugh - they Rang Nick and got Ralf

rb14

45 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I think it's a decent appointment for them really. Rangnick's had a huge influence as a DoF, and he's been brought in to get them playing modern European football, and stamp some kind of style onto the squad, to give the next guy a chance.

Obviously players like Ronaldo and Pogba are not going to be very compatible with this style of play, so they won't be as good as the likes of us, City or Chelsea any time soon.

If they want someone who can put together a case for getting rid of Pogba and Ronaldo in the summer, with an actual plan of what to do instead, then Rangnick is certainly capable of that. Whether or not they listen to him is going to be the big test.

Nothing like bringing in a pensioner to get them playing modern football. 

12 hours ago, Baltar said:

I don't know much about him but I'm sure he'll be much better than Ole. Nobody, least of all a German could ever be as bad as the clown they've just fired. Could turn out to be a decent interim appointment.

Totally agree about the first part.

On the last sentence however, I see it differently. Ole was probably the perfect interim manager, especially after Mourinho. Ole brought back a good atmosphere, which was exactly what they needed to get rid of the Mourinho poison. Ole probably didnt install any sort of real changes at all, just harped on about the old days and how we do it at this club. Only problem was he didnt have a clue how to bring neither the team nor the club forwards, and they fucked it up completely by giving him the job on a permanent basis. Rangnick on the other hand, I suspect will have very clear ideas of what he wants to do and what needs to be changed. This means things wont necessarily improve short term, but with the resources they have could take them far long term. Hopefully the lack of structure, knowledge and direction higher up the club hierachy will mean they dont give him the necessary support. Because if they do I reckon he could turn them into a force again.

He's a genius when it comes to signings. Signed Mane, Werner, Upmecano, Keita and Kimmich for a total of £7.5m. He knows what a good player looks like. He's going to realise very quickly that Maguire, Shaw, McTominey, Fred and Wan Bissaka are shite. I'm just hoping he butts heads with Woodward over signings, with Woodward favouring the Galactico approach over the more unheralded players Rangnick will pick.

Said it in the other thread, he's not actually a great manager, but as someone who has something to do with the operations of a club, he could be very good for them. It's easy to find good managers that will see eye to eye with the way he sees football. It's a good step for them in terms of coherence. The 6 month period could go a number of different ways, but the consulting after is what will help them.

What could also happen is that he butts heads with people at the club if there's philosophical disagreement, though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Said it in the other thread, he's not actually a great manager, but as someone who has something to do with the operations of a club, he could be very good for them. It's easy to find good managers that will see eye to eye with the way he sees football. It's a good step for them in terms of coherence. The 6 month period could go a number of different ways, but the consulting after is what will help them.

What could also happen is that he butts heads with people at the club if there's philosophical disagreement, though.

This is pretty much it.

As a manager, he's been very hit-and-miss. But as a DoF, or similar, he's done very well and implemented structures at well-run clubs that have been excellent.

As a Liverpool fan, obviously I hope this goes like the Mislintat thing did at Arsenal - a competent manager who immediately runs afoul of the whole rotten structure at the club and eventually flees with his reputation in tatters. I could see him losing a few games, being totally misunderstood by the ownership, and then being run out of town.

Unfortunately I think the more likely outcome is that in order to go there he's been made certain promises about a lack of interference, so he'll right the ship a bit (albeit with a season or two of 5th/6th finishes at first while he sorts out the dreck like Klopp had to do here at first) and then install a good manager (Poch?) who by 2023 is presiding over a very good team.

They were interviewing Mancs in the city centre last night on Granada reports. Most of them had never heard of him and said they needed Zidane or Pochettino to bring back the glory days.

Only one who had a clue who he was and she was a teenage girl who said they need to play entertaining football like Liverpool. 

3 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

They were interviewing Mancs in the city centre last night on Granada reports. Most of them had never heard of him and said they needed Zidane or Pochettino to bring back the glory days.

Only one who had a clue who he was and she was a teenage girl who said they need to play entertaining football like Liverpool. 

Poor cow's probably been lynched by now.

18 minutes ago, Iceman said:

He's obviously going to be ace but it would be absolutely hilarious if we got some magical moyes moments out of him, he fails hard and they despair as it all goes down the old toilet. 

He’ll be ace in comparison to the previous incumbents post Fergie (not difficult really)  but the club seems to be a mess from top to bottom and they always seem to be a few defeats away from the Green and Gold brigade getting antsy again.  

They actually remind me of us when Gerard joined us in 1998.