Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

PODCAST: Liverpool 2 Porto 0 - Match Reaction

Recommended Posts

Five wins from five as the Reds comfortably took care of Porto with the minimum of fuss. A memorable strike by Thiago and yet another goal for Mo to add to the collection ensured a routine win on a night when young Tyler Morton made an impressive Champions League debut.

 

Chris Smith is joined by Terry McDonald and TLW Editor Dave Usher to reflect on another satisfying evening under the lights at Anfield and to preview this Saturday's Premier League clash with Southampton.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very gratifying.  

 

Am am I the only one who thinks Mini's goal should have stood? The ball came to him after the defender played and got a touch on it. No different to that Lovren/Kane goal a couple of years back. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, aws said:

Very gratifying.  

 

Am am I the only one who thinks Mini's goal should have stood? The ball came to him after the defender played and got a touch on it. No different to that Lovren/Kane goal a couple of years back. 

 

He's miles off when the shot was taken. I think the rule is different when it's a shot rather than a through ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave u said:

 

He's miles off when the shot was taken. I think the rule is different when it's a shot rather than a through ball. 

Just checked and it's the same whether it's a shot or pass. Being in an offside position isn't in itself enough for an offence, you have to go to play the ball, interfere with play, obstruct vision etc or otherwise gain an advantage. The rule specifically says that receiving the ball after it's played by an opponent (but not a keeper save) is not gaining an advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, aws said:

Just checked and it's the same whether it's a shot or pass. Being in an offside position isn't in itself enough for an offence, you have to go to play the ball, interfere with play, obstruct vision etc or otherwise gain an advantage. The rule specifically says that receiving the ball after it's played by an opponent (but not a keeper save) is not gaining an advantage. 

I think that's where refs misinterpret the rule. It was clearly intended to make players onside if a defender knocks the ball back to their keeper without looking, rather than a deflection or attempted tackle playing someone on - much like Kane at Anfield a few seasons back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I think that's where refs misinterpret the rule. It was clearly intended to make players onside if a defender knocks the ball back to their keeper without looking, rather than a deflection or attempted tackle playing someone on - much like Kane at Anfield a few seasons back.

I think the sensible position would be for both Kane and Mini to have been offside but they should decide on what the rule means and stick to it.  As it is we've been fucked by both of the interpretations. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want no part of any sport where Minamino's goal is not seen as being offside. We may as well scrap the offside rule completely if they're going to allow that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave u said:

I want no part of any sport where Minamino's goal is not seen as being offside. We may as well scrap the offside rule completely if they're going to allow that.

Not having that. You'd have loved hanging around behind the defence waiting for tap-ins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×