You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) - Sat 27th Nov 2021 (3:00pm)

Trumo

22 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Agreed. Not just staying to the end, but making more noise, too. From the Lower Kenny it sounded like sections of the Kop and the Anny Road were doing their bit, but the rest of the ground was quiet.

Maybe today lacked any of the sense of jeopardy that can sometimes inspire you to get behind the team more loudly, because Southampton were very poor (look at the defending for Jota's second and for van Dijk's) so the contest was effectively over after two minutes.

A thought struck me today that might be true or might be bollocks: the singing around most of the ground tends to fizzle out after the first few minutes, when the Kop (or sections of the Kop) sing the more complicated songs, like Poor Scouser Tommy or Every Other Saturday. These are usually sung in different pockets of the ground, at different tempos and a line or two out of synch. It's impossible for the rest of the ground to sing along. I think it would improve the atmosphere if those songs were saved until a bit later on and we focused on the "whole ground" songs - like Allez Allez Allez, Fields of Anfield Road, Poetry in Motion and some of the player's songs - for the first 15 minutes or so, to build a proper atmosphere. 

Yeah...would also help if every bloody song was not sung at 250mph

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I thought the crowd was alright today. I was in the kop so maybe it was a skewed perspective but I could hear the Anny Rd singing a fair bit too. It’s bad to leave early but it was fucking freezing, and the transport links aren’t great. Soccer bus/ train combo takes forever.

But I agree, I think we need some sort of public campaign about staying to the end. It improved after Klopp spoke out about it but it’s gone back to empty seats everywhere. It’s more important when we need a goal.

Agree transport links are not great - but i just don't see how people benefit by getting off on 85 mins - and it isn't just when game is won, it was happening in droves v Brighton the other week, when we were in need of a late goal.

I know some people are less mobile etc than others, but the exodus of people isn't IMO all people who need the head start....it seems to have got worse this season...maybe a bit of covid related stuff is a part of it...don't know - but i just don't like to see it.

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Agreed. Not just staying to the end, but making more noise, too. From the Lower Kenny it sounded like sections of the Kop and the Anny Road were doing their bit, but the rest of the ground was quiet.

Maybe today lacked any of the sense of jeopardy that can sometimes inspire you to get behind the team more loudly, because Southampton were very poor (look at the defending for Jota's second and for van Dijk's) so the contest was effectively over after two minutes.

A thought struck me today that might be true or might be bollocks: the singing around most of the ground tends to fizzle out after the first few minutes, when the Kop (or sections of the Kop) sing the more complicated songs, like Poor Scouser Tommy or Every Other Saturday. These are usually sung in different pockets of the ground, at different tempos and a line or two out of synch. It's impossible for the rest of the ground to sing along. I think it would improve the atmosphere if those songs were saved until a bit later on and we focused on the "whole ground" songs - like Allez Allez Allez, Fields of Anfield Road, Poetry in Motion and some of the player's songs - for the first 15 minutes or so, to build a proper atmosphere. 

agree with this. Leave the shit songs until later on. 

I've always wanted to live in a world where Liverpool twat everyone they come across, and yesterday I got a glimpse of it as Southampton were just hopelessly outmatched in every area of the field. There was a moment in the first half when the linesman let play carry on when a Southampton player was miles offside, and my primary thought was 'Alisson will save it anyway'. And he did. This was what I've always thought I wanted, a game where Liverpool can be as casual as fuck yet still breeze past the opposition.

So is it what I really wanted? Yeah, it was. I don't give a shit about 'football', I just care about Liverpool, and being able to relax and just admire the men in red was a real pleasure. It was, for example, the first time I have had the headspace to look at Trent in a forensic manner and lordy, he really looked the generational player that he's meant to be. He made the Southampton players look like they'd won a raffle to play against him. After all the dross that we've watched over the years, how could you not be happy? It was a delight.

And yet...a part of me was bothered by it all. I thought I may have been developing a conscience, an out-of-towner  piggybacking on Liverpool's greatness alongside the two Londoners sitting next to me while a few thousand Southampton fans dragged their butts halfway along the island to see their local team walloped. And that might be a small part of it. Mostly though, I think I fear for a future where the financial dopers send out teams proportionately outmatching Liverpool teams shorn of Klopp's genius. I'm determined to enjoy days like yesterday, especially because I know it can't be sustained in a world where there will be a handful of teams boasting a Trent in every position. 

• Upvote 16

Dragging this back from the philosophical (and excellent) post from deisach, I thought there were individual performances that demonstrated the sense of Klopp's approach yesterday.  Robertson put in his best performance for at least half a year, after seeing that his replacement has raised the bar of what should be accepted.  Oxlaide-Chamberlain once again looked hungry and was all over the pitch demanding the ball when he came on, a great thing to see after the travails the lad has been through.  The appetite and workmate of Mane was again immense - back to his best, and the steady improvement in Konate, and for that matter Virgil, who seems to be getting back to the form we expect from him.  Fabinho and Thiago playing together is always going to be a joy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

Dragging this back from the philosophical (and excellent) post from deisach, I thought there were individual performances that demonstrated the sense of Klopp's approach yesterday.  Robertson put in his best performance for at least half a year, after seeing that his replacement has raised the bar of what should be accepted.  Oxlaide-Chamberlain once again looked hungry and was all over the pitch demanding the ball when he came on, a great thing to see after the travails the lad has been through.  The appetite and workmate of Mane was again immense - back to his best, and the steady improvement in Konate, and for that matter Virgil, who seems to be getting back to the form we expect from him.  Fabinho and Thiago playing together is always going to be a joy.

What about Hendo? x

What pisses me off, and I don't mean it in an entitled way, is that I can't help feeling that we should have more to show in terms of trophies for these past few years. This team really deserves to be spoken of in hushed tones at times and but for the likes of Kompany getting away with that tackle and that dirty bastard at Real Madrid we could have been boasting the amount of trophies that I feel we deserve.

Probably just me but with Klopp probably going in a couple of years I can't help having a bit of 'what if' from time to time. Hopefully this year balances this out a bit.

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Just thinking about it, with Mo very firmly planted on the right hand third of the width of the pitch, Jota might well catch up to his talley if he keeps this up, if Mo get’s too wasteful in the box. I’m hoping Mo is up for the spirit of the goal scoring competition and ups the anti. It can only propel us further toward the title...and yes...I’m very aware that w/o Mo’s assists, Jota wouldn’t have as many goals.

Salah's goals will dry up a bit as long as Jota is playing. Jota and Firmino play that role very differently. It's why I've gone with Jota as my Fantasy captain since Bobby's injury.

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Agree transport links are not great - but i just don't see how people benefit by getting off on 85 mins - and it isn't just when game is won, it was happening in droves v Brighton the other week, when we were in need of a late goal.

I know some people are less mobile etc than others, but the exodus of people isn't IMO all people who need the head start....it seems to have got worse this season...maybe a bit of covid related stuff is a part of it...don't know - but i just don't like to see it.

I agree it seems to have gotten worse this season and I don't like to see it either. But leaving 5 minutes early does make a difference. I'll never do it, but I know when I get back to the car park and I'm stuck in there waiting to get out, that if I'd got back there a few minutes quicker I'd been out of there and half way home. That's why people do it, although I wish they didn't, especially in games like the Brighton one.

38 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Covid could definitely be a factor.  People don't want to get caught up in crowds. 

If you leave 5 minutes early, you’ll still be on a crowded bus or train. If you’re driving, it makes no odds, and you’ve still been in a crowd for 2 hours watching the game as well as near the kiosks buying a coffee or whatever.

20 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

It wouldn't as crowded, though.  It could well factor into people's thinking. 

Having shamefully left early myself on occasion, when I have work after etc,  I can confirm they are just as crowded as the busses wait until they fill up before they move. I can see how it might factor into peoples thinking though if they have a health condition. ( mind you I’ve only ever left 2 minutes early not 10 like the moaning arl fellas in the SKD.

Re. Crowd noise- Wasn't there a match recently when Klopp cupped his ears after we scored? It’s clearly doing his head in too. ( or is he just a massive Harry Maguire fan, and that was his tribute?)

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I agree it seems to have gotten worse this season and I don't like to see it either. But leaving 5 minutes early does make a difference. I'll never do it, but I know when I get back to the car park and I'm stuck in there waiting to get out, that if I'd got back there a few minutes quicker I'd been out of there and half way home. That's why people do it, although I wish they didn't, especially in games like the Brighton one.

I suppose it all depends on where you park/where you choose to get a bus and where you are going/how mobile you are etc.

We always have same routine...if we drive we always park on Sheil Road - and then walk up to ground from there...after game by time we have walked back there which is 15/20 mins traffic down there is clear and we can get away dead easy....for us leaving 5 mins early would be neither here or there, but yeah i suppose different for everybody.

If we are on bus - my own personal preference is to let the mad scramble pass and just take time have a steady stroll - often catch one on West Derby Road down by The Belmont....by time have ambled down there crowds have thinned out - things are not as chocker.

I appreciate everyones journeys are different and from and to different places etc etc and what works for one does not for another....but still for me i just think this getting off early is shite and is there really much to gain?

IMHO i just can't stand it and i just don't get it at end of day....tickets are expensive - we have had months and months of not being able to go and it to me at least the team deserves better from its fans.

It's a funny one.

6 hours ago, an tha said:

I suppose it all depends on where you park/where you choose to get a bus and where you are going/how mobile you are etc.

We always have same routine...if we drive we always park on Sheil Road - and then walk up to ground from there...after game by time we have walked back there which is 15/20 mins traffic down there is clear and we can get away dead easy....for us leaving 5 mins early would be neither here or there, but yeah i suppose different for everybody.

If we are on bus - my own personal preference is to let the mad scramble pass and just take time have a steady stroll - often catch one on West Derby Road down by The Belmont....by time have ambled down there crowds have thinned out - things are not as chocker.

I appreciate everyones journeys are different and from and to different places etc etc and what works for one does not for another....but still for me i just think this getting off early is shite and is there really much to gain?

IMHO i just can't stand it and i just don't get it at end of day....tickets are expensive - we have had months and months of not being able to go and it to me at least the team deserves better from its fans.

It's a funny one.

Best thing to do after the  game is going for a bevy. Beers have become gross around Anfield though. So now, we walk to the city center and enjoy good ales at the Ship and Mitre. It’s a 40 mn walk, you talk about the game and it goes pretty fast. Well, I get it’s different when you live far away or if you do have to work. I don’t attend many games a season obviously, but I would never leave early, it does not make sense for a football fan ….

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Arnaud said:

Best thing to do after the  game is going for a bevy. Beers have become gross around Anfield though. So now, we walk to the city center and enjoy good ales at the Ship and Mitre. It’s a 40 mn walk, you talk about the game and it goes pretty fast. Well, I get it’s different when you live far away or if you do have to work. I don’t attend many games a season obviously, but I would never leave early, it does not make sense for a football fan ….

Is right.

10 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

What pisses me off, and I don't mean it in an entitled way, is that I can't help feeling that we should have more to show in terms of trophies for these past few years. This team really deserves to be spoken of in hushed tones at times and but for the likes of Kompany getting away with that tackle and that dirty bastard at Real Madrid we could have been boasting the amount of trophies that I feel we deserve.

Probably just me but with Klopp probably going in a couple of years I can't help having a bit of 'what if' from time to time. Hopefully this year balances this out a bit.

Yeah I get it, with the talk about Klopp being off in a few years I get the feeling that we're only just getting started. I want this team to be spoken about for decades, not to look back and think it was good but we only won a couple of trophies. 

• Upvote 1