You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) - Sat 27th Nov 2021 (3:00pm)

Trumo

5 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I would have agreed a few weeks ago but happily I think I was wrong and he is really growing into his role in the team again. When Dave said in one of his match reports it feels like something big is coming from him, I was doubtful but now I’m fully on board the Oxlade love bus. Smash it lad.

Since I've been watching football, we've been successful while having an average player in midfield.  From Jimmy Case to Jordan Henderson/Oxlaide-Chamberlain, as long as he puts the effort in, does a bit of chasing back, makes himself useful, and pops up with the odd goal - and more importantly, as long as the other two are top quality, we can still win everything.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

Since I've been watching football, we've been successful while having an average player in midfield.  From Jimmy Case to Jordan Henderson/Oxlaide-Chamberlain, as long as he puts the effort in, does a bit of chasing back, makes himself useful, and pops up with the odd goal - and more importantly, as long as the other two are top quality, we can still win everything.

Yep, Thiago, Fabinho, and someone who can put in a decent run of not being shit.

• Upvote 2

I have a lot of time for Ox. That injury was as bad as it gets, he was at the peak of his powers and his stock was at his highest when it happened. Lest we forget it was Gini who came on for him in that Roma game, who never really looked back from that moment.

He’s shown glimpses this season of the player that was, defensively and pressing has been excellent his speed and explosiveness looks just as good. I always feels he’s on the brink of doing something brilliant, there’s a bit of magic in him. I still feel he has a role to play.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

If we take the rose-coloured specs off that is just what we got off Gini in most of his games. Someone who can put in a solid 7 out of 10 week after week. Of course Gini had amazing fitness levels which is what we've missed at times this season. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, aws said:

If we take the rose-coloured specs off that is just what we got off Gini in most of his games. Someone who can put in a solid 7 out of 10 week after week. Of course Gini had amazing fitness levels which is what we've missed at times this season. 

Completely agree, he was a great example of an excellent '7 out of 10' player, if that's not a contradiction in terms.

58 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Wijnaldum a 7/10?  Tough crowd.

He was pure quality.  

7 is a good average, because he was either a 6 or 8.

Rarely 9 (maybe in the big games), although those were balanced by his all too familiar invisible away act, and he hardly ever won us a game.

If he's "pure quality" fuck knows what you made of Alonso, Gerrard, Macherano, or Fabinho right now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stringvest said:

Yep, it's never been about having eleven superstars. 

Was reading Jimmy Case as Jimmy Carter first though and getting a bit concerned! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, m0e said:

7 is a good average, because he was either a 6 or 8.

Rarely 9 (maybe in the big games), although those were balanced by his all too familiar invisible away act, and he hardly ever won us a game.

If he's "pure quality" fuck knows what you made of Alonso, Gerrard, Macherano, or Fabinho right now.

I leave the 9s and above for the creme de la menthe, you know Souness, Molby, Lallana etc

Chamberlain is fine in a settled team with experience and quality around him. Zero problem with the way he's been playing recently. The disappointment comes when he has to play in the league cup with a B midfield and his level doesn't rise above like it should for an experienced 28 year old.  

• Upvote 1

I think Ox is shite his good performances are nothing exceptional for a top flight premier league footballer they just stand out when he has one. I'd be more than happy with him as a squad player if he was less injury prone and didn't need a tonne of games to find some form. Shite is harsh I just don't rate him and would get rid.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I have a lot of time for Ox. That injury was as bad as it gets, he was at the peak of his powers and his stock was at his highest when it happened. Lest we forget it was Gini who came on for him in that Roma game, who never really looked back from that moment.

He’s shown glimpses this season of the player that was, defensively and pressing has been excellent his speed and explosiveness looks just as good. I always feels he’s on the brink of doing something brilliant, there’s a bit of magic in him. I still feel he has a role to play.

Definitely, the surgeon did a good job. And Ox himself needs to get a lot of credit for his rehab because he hasn't lost much pace - which is remarkable considering the extent of the injury.

I think what we're seeing now is similar to Danny Ings. Danny Ings took about three years to get over his horrific injuries and show he still had it as a player. The club have handled Ox really well. Any other top team would've sold him as soon as they could post-injury. I think we've saved his career - certainly at the top level. It's up to him now to determine his own legacy.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, stringvest said:

Replace Case with Sammy Lee?

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

I really don’t get why Hendo does not get that much credit . He’s a great player, a fantastic skipper and a wonderful man it seems. 

Probably the save bed wetters who go weak at the knees for Gini ( who was reminiscent of Pele) every time we don’t win 6-0.

Mate of ours dropped out last min for game today...got a spare ticket likely - as nobody else can go in our group of friends

Main stand block u1 roughly in line with edge of penalty area anny road.

PM if interested.....would obviously be a name and email job to be able to 'distribute' it