You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Migrants

Bjornebye

55 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The migrants term is pretty Orwellian in terms of how you can redefine an issue and a person simply by changing words. We've been using the term in the press now for years.

Presumably the first thing 99.9% of them do is request asylum which would make them, erm, asylum seekers.

A migrant is Polish barber who comes over on the train.

I wasn't sure how to word the thread title, I could have put "Human beings" but that would have caused someone to make it all about them*. I suppose 'Migrants' is the right word for the thread because it highlights how fucking silly it is to label people as such. 

*I appreciate this has happened anyway. 

12 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Know the term was necessary for the thread but I've grown to loath that word. 

How much easier it is for us to stomach the news that 30 migrants have died than 30 people. Or 30 men, women and children. 

Dehumanising 

Yeah, my Mum and Dad never had much time for the "migrants" label either.

They were much more used to being called wogs.

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I wasn't sure how to word the thread title, I could have put "Human beings" but that would have caused someone to make it all about them*. I suppose 'Migrants' is the right word for the thread because it highlights how fucking silly it is to label people as such. 

*I appreciate this has happened anyway. 

Yeah not a dig at you, just interesting, it's become the catch all term in recent years. 

I can't imagine there's many Romanian waiters willing to risk their lives to cross the Channel on an upturned VW Beetle bonnet in search of a job though. 

As ever, Farage is largely to blame for most of this with his latest grift of being seen stood on the cliffs of Dover in his Barbour jacket bemoaning the rampaging hordes of Mordor as they approach by sea. 

If you could remove him and Johnson from history, this country would be a completely different place right now. 

It's probably not in the government's interest to do so, but it'd be helpful if their was an information drive regarding asylum seekers. 

There's so much disinformation and downright lies floating about that adds to the stigmatisation of asylum seekers. 

The "right" are often guilty of it, but do are the "left" too. 

Shit like this (below) from the "left" does my head in. It's ridiculously inaccurate. 

Even disregarding the fact that you don't qualify as a refugee if you're fleeing a non-targeted, indiscriminate risk of harm from an armed conflict, it's largely bullshit. Loads of asylum seekers come to the UK from places where there's no war or no British sourced bombs being dropped - Iranian gays or people who've protested against the government, people facing religious persecution in Pakistan, Eritreans who are persecuted for religious reasons and for evading the arduous and indefinite military service that operates there, the hundreds of people who come from countries not at war but who will persecute their nationals for political dissent and opposition, their sexuality, their religion or their minority ethnicity. 

There's so much bollocks out there. But, I can't see any government providing clarifying information. Sadly, demonising asylum seekers is seen as a vote winner. A concept that Labour mow also seems happy to embrace with their edging to the right on immigration policy and rhetoric. 

Screenshot_20211125_101416.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

I'm sure most of western europe are envious of our declining life expectancy, child poverty and over burdened health system.

In a totally surprising development the rag,the metro,the mail and the Express point the finger of blame completely at the french.

I like how you all of a sudden narrowed it to Western Europe. Our life expectancy is down, because of covid,  for the first time in ages and whilst any child poverty is awful I bet there are about 2 billion people who’d rather be poor over here than where they are now.  

Keep fucking moaning though.  You’ll fit right in around here.  

I think it’s mad, if the shit hit the fan here I’d 100% take my family away from it.  The but for the grace etc etc.  

Bloke I used to work with set up a Syrian family in a house, got the bloke a job, work provided laptops and phones etc.  he’s retired now and is doing it full time.  Nice bloke is Paul.   

• Upvote 3

One of the big myths about refugees is that they want to come too, I worked for a charity years back that worked with refugees and had many working there, Mrs has a few refugee families where she works now, and every single one of them would rather go home - just not in the state it's currently in. 

42 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I like how you all of a sudden narrowed it to Western Europe. Our life expectancy is down, because of covid,  for the first time in ages and whilst any child poverty is awful I bet there are about 2 billion people who’d rather be poor over here than where they are now.  

Keep fucking moaning though.  You’ll fit right in around here.  

Funny..I could have thought life expectancy has been dropping in certain areas for the last 10 years or so?

Covid must have been around for a while.

Yep you are right about child poverty.

Comparing one of the richest countries on the planet to countries who have gone through famine and war is perfectly logical. 

We have one go at life it would be better if more people were nice and not cunts.

Simplistic? Yes, but fucking true all the same. Unfortunately a lot of cunts run things are greedy and evil and selfish. Try to be good and help people.

That is how I got sacked as a Teaching Assistant in a Primary School. Honest.

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's probably not in the government's interest to do so, but it'd be helpful if their was an information drive regarding asylum seekers. 

There's so much disinformation and downright lies floating about that adds to the stigmatisation of asylum seekers. 

The "right" are often guilty of it, but do are the "left" too. 

Shit like this (below) from the "left" does my head in. It's ridiculously inaccurate. 

Even disregarding the fact that you don't qualify as a refugee if you're fleeing a non-targeted, indiscriminate risk of harm from an armed conflict, it's largely bullshit. Loads of asylum seekers come to the UK from places where there's no war or no British sourced bombs being dropped - Iranian gays or people who've protested against the government, people facing religious persecution in Pakistan, Eritreans who are persecuted for religious reasons and for evading the arduous and indefinite military service that operates there, the hundreds of people who come from countries not at war but who will persecute their nationals for political dissent and opposition, their sexuality, their religion or their minority ethnicity. 

There's so much bollocks out there. But, I can't see any government providing clarifying information. Sadly, demonising asylum seekers is seen as a vote winner. A concept that Labour mow also seems happy to embrace with their edging to the right on immigration policy and rhetoric. 

Screenshot_20211125_101416.jpg

Woah steady on, our Foreign Policy has no impact on the people who live there remember. 

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

One of the big myths about refugees is that they want to come too, I worked for a charity years back that worked with refugees and had many working there, Mrs has a few refugee families where she works now, and every single one of them would rather go home - just not in the state it's currently in. 

They all get bran spanking new I-phones mate, takeaways every night, 5 star hotels the lot meanwhile british war veteran families are begging on the streets*

*According to the right wing farage shaggers 

4 minutes ago, Edward. said:

During lockdown when I was sourcing food for homeless people some of them had the temerity to ask for Halal food.

(Not sure if you're joking but just in-case you aren't) Would you buy a vegan a meat & potato pie and expect them to eat it? 

Now I want a meat & potato pie ffs, a Waterfields one. 

56 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Dont understand this whole UK being a shit hole thing.

There speaks a man who has never had to play dogturd hopscotch on the way to work.

I do feel like I'm living in an alternate dimension sometimes. Am I the only person here who actually still walks to places or something?

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There speaks a man who has never had to play dogturd hopscotch on the way to work.

I do feel like I'm living in an alternate dimension sometimes. Am I the only person here who actually still walks to places or something?

In fairness there are multiple countries in one in England. Parts of the south, not all, but some, may as well be a different planet not only in terms of how they look, but the jobs and other opportunities available to people.

It's ironic though that most refugees are shoved in neighborhoods which are already deprived, not the leafy ones.

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think you are as well. 

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Really? On the pavement?

We got a puppy around 3 weeks ago, picking up shit is all the rage round here.