You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Migrants

Bjornebye

Brits abroad get a bad rap but I've heard stuff about Russian tourists that'd curl your hair. 

When we went to Greece years ago they loved us but treated the Italians like shit, apparently they loved the Brits because we spent loads of money, but the Italians had a rep for buying one blue WKD between 15 of them then they'd head off on cooze patrol. 

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Brits abroad get a bad rap but I've heard stuff about Russian tourists that'd curl your hair. 

When we went to Greece years ago they loved us but treated the Italians like shit, apparently they loved the Brits because we spent loads of money, but the Italians had a rep for buying one blue WKD between 15 of them then they'd head off on cooze patrol. 

Most Russians I've met abroad are arrogant horrible twats not just to staff but anyone who isn't in their immediate group. 

The banner was put there by something called the National Housing Party UK. Basically a bunch of racists masquerading as a party concerned about people not having access to social housing. Their treasurer is an big fan of Katie Hopkins. 

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's kinda ironic that one of this countries greatest achievements, apparently,is fighting a  war where a minority group was being persecuted. 

On 30/11/2021 at 12:16, Jairzinho said:

Decades of being ignored by the Labour party. Towns up and down the country looking like Detroit. A complete disinterest or annoyance at the focus on social policies. The complexity of left wing positions compared to those on the right.

Couple all of this with the worst media in western europe and you have the perfect conditions for some right wing bullshit. Some simplistic ideas that many people were primed to believe. Many of the people who did/do so are indeed complete idiots. But it shouldn't have ever got to this point. These people should have been represented by the Labour Party, and they haven't been. Hence many people who should be voting Labour don't, and should have voted remain but didn't.

They rolled the dice, because they felt they had fuck all to lose. As incorrect as they were.

All well balanced arguments, however I've a gripe on the last sentence, " incorrect as they were" you are 100% correct the people in low paid employment and those living in permanent poverty had nothing to lose so decided to roll the dice, and why shouldn't they? As for how incorrect they were? Hmm, the broader economic landscape will suggest you're probably right but for a lot of those in the low paid haulage/construction/agricultural/hospitality are probably thinking they made the right choice. 

Whilst every country has its fair stare of xenophobes and racists, that superiority complex seems to bred into us here.

You see it from culture, last night of the proms being the most obvious example, history ('we'won the war)and sport,particularly football.

It also without a shadow of a doubt played a part in Brexit..why should we be governed by europe?

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Last Night of the Proms is an odd choice, given the number of EU flags being waved in recent years.

I'd say the most glaring example is the constant celebration of "are NHS", the "envy of the world" (protip: it isn't).

Tbf I'm not an avid viewer of it ,I'm only going on that clip from the design for life video.

They still sing rule Britannia though dont they?

Personally I'd say it's more down to the oft trotted out line..I'd rather live here than anywhere else.

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Last Night of the Proms is an odd choice, given the number of EU flags being waved in recent years.

I'd say the most glaring example is the constant celebration of "are NHS", the "envy of the world" (protip: it isn't).

Said it any number of times but whenever I have needed the NHS they have been abysmal, my experience of the NHS has been incredibly negative.

34 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Said it any number of times but whenever I have needed the NHS they have been abysmal, my experience of the NHS has been incredibly negative.

I've had good experiences, bad experiences, and everything in between. It's beyond me why people talk so highly of it, but it's one of the very few examples of British exceptionalism that it appears to be okay for lefties to shout about.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I reckon it depends on your circumstances and where you're from. I'm on a freelancing Facebook group and there's loads of yanks on it and they're always freaking out about health coverage and cost. 

It's like anything, if you've got money it's not an issue, but that'd be the same here, if I could afford Bupa I'd probably get it, although in many ways it's shite because they don't do emergency care, which nine times out of 10 is the reason people end up in hospital. If you need a scan on your arm of whatever they can probably fit you in faster though.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I reckon it depends on your circumstances and where you're from. I'm on a freelancing Facebook group and there's loads of yanks on it and they're always freaking out about health coverage and cost. 

It's like anything, if you've got money it's not an issue, but that'd be the same here, if I could afford Bupa I'd probably get it, although in many ways it's shite because they don't do emergency care, which nine times out of 10 is the reason people end up in hospital. If you need a scan on your arm of whatever they can probably fit you in faster though.

Definitely the NHS with all its faults is much better than the system they use in America. But most of the developed world has universal healthcare, and our version is generally unexceptional when measured against those. 

52 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The NHS is in crisis at the moment through chronic lack of investment and waiting lists are at an all time high due to Covid, but in the past it saved Mrs HL's life after childbirth, saved my life on more than one occasion and saved my Mum's 2 years ago after developing bowel cancer.

Add to that the times it saved my daughter after severe asthma attacks, or they managed to get me walking again after MS relapses, or fixed broken bones, or ferried me to hospital in an emergency, not forgetting the care given to those dying of Covid with Dr's, nurses and paramedics putting their own health and lives at risk in the process. 

The NHS might not get it right every time, there have been times where I have found it wanting, but abysmal?, we'd be fucked without it, and I for one appreciate and am thankful for it and those who work within it.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've had good experiences, bad experiences, and everything in between. It's beyond me why people talk so highly of it, but it's one of the very few examples of British exceptionalism that it appears to be okay for lefties to shout about.

I remember watching the band Idles at Glastonbury in I think something like 2019. For some reason known only to himself the lead singer started twatting on about how his wife or partner was a nurse for the NHS and was nearly in tears. U wot m8. Fucking weird.

3 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

The NHS is in crisis at the moment through chronic lack of investment and waiting lists are at an all time high due to Covid, but in the past it saved Mrs HL's life after childbirth, saved my life on more than one occasion and saved my Mum's 2 years ago after developing bowel cancer.

Add to that the times it saved my daughter after severe asthma attacks, or they managed to get me walking again after MS relapses, or fixed broken bones, or ferried me to hospital in an emergency, not forgetting the care given to those dying of Covid with Dr's, nurses and paramedics putting their own health and lives at risk in the process. 

The NHS might not get it right every time, there have been times where I have found it wanting, but abysmal?, we'd be fucked without it, and I for one appreciate and am thankful for it and those who work within it.

Not gonna go into detail it but I’ve got horror stories where my family is concerned. We’ve all got different experiences. SD is 100% correct though,  the near religious fervour in which it’s held in this country is fucking bizarre.

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Not gonna go into detail it but I’ve got horror stories where my family is concerned. We’ve all got different experiences. SD is 100% correct though,  the near religious fervour in which it’s held in this country is fucking bizarre.

Example? 

22 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

It's not perfect, I don't think any health service, national or private can be. There is always room for improvement and I've got a couple of horror stories myself, but I wouldn't be here without it and I would certainly have lost my Mrs, so I've got a lot to thank it for.