You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Migrants

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If you had experienced the existential loss of your homeland and everything you knew I'm sure you'd cling to whatever hope you had projected on a place/country.

Anyhows life's too short, I thought it was an odd choice of phrase and pulled you up.

I hope you, yours and anybody else you care for never know that feeling.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that people are being sold a picture of Britain that doesn't remotely resemble the reality. The streets here are paved with dogshit, not gold. I legitimately can't think of anywhere in Western Europe that would be worse to live.

My DNA has already lost its homeland on multiple occasions through history. I'm sure it will happen again.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well, I'm sorry to hear that people are being sold a picture of Britain that doesn't remotely resemble the reality. The streets here are paved with dogshit, not gold. I legitimately can't think of anywhere in Western Europe that would be worse to live.

My DNA has already lost its homeland on multiple occasions through history. I'm sure it will happen again.

So has mine...

Fuck me, choose some better battles or you're just turning in to a predictable wum.

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You said a few weeks ago you can't see any poverty here make your mind up 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You said a few weeks ago you can't see any poverty here make your mind up 

People being able to afford pets that shit everywhere isn't exactly evidence of poverty. Getting off the topic here though I think.

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Fuck me, choose some better battles or you're just turning in to a predictable wum.

I wasn't aware I was having a battle with anyone, let alone winding anyone up.

Not exactly news to anyone that I think this country is awful. I'm somewhat curious that everyone else who thinks it's awful is silent about its shortcomings in threads like this one.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

People being able to afford pets that shit everywhere isn't exactly evidence of poverty. Getting off the topic here though I think.

Yeah you were referring to dogshit there. Let's conveniently switch away from you being caught chatting shite again though, agreed. 

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not exactly news to anyone that I think this country is awful. I'm somewhat curious that everyone else who thinks it's awful is silent about its shortcomings in threads like this one.

You do you, hun.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Now I'm a bit worried as to what you think I would have been referring to when I wrote the letters D-O-G-S-H-I-T in that order.

The bit when you followed it up with "I legitimately can't think of anywhere in Western Europe that would be worse to live." kind of explains that if I'm honest fella. 

Britain is a shit-hole but as has been said, there are plenty of legitimate reasons they might be desperate to get here. Plenty of mainland Europe is an even bigger shit-hole. 

But... you being caught out (yet again) chatting shit and desperately back-peddling isn't what this thread is about. Let's move on. 

26 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I genuinely believe that you meant actual dogshit. 

The bottom paragraph is dogshit too though. Yes. Some of us think that the country is shite. We've reached that conclusion through our lived experiences and because we don't think that the country satisfies our wants or needs. We can picture a better life elsewhere. 

But, this isn't a post about what we think about our country. It's about migrants and asylum seekers. And how the UK might, from their perspective, and in terms of satisfying their wants and needs, might offer them a better life than France or Spain or other European countries at this moment in time. 

Personally, I'd prefer to live in Denmark than the UK. But, I can understand why a Syrian asylum seeker might opt for the UK, even if they're fully aware that chilling at the Tivoli Gardens would be better than a weekly trip to Heron Foods in Belle Vale shopping centre. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57156835

Anyone who thinks the UK in 2021 isn’t in the top 0.00001% of places to live in the entire history of the planet is talking complete and utter fucking bollocks. 

Medical care: free

Housing: free

Education: free

chances of being in a war: tiny

chances of a violent death: tiny

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Anyone who thinks the UK in 2021 isn’t in the top 0.00001% of places to live in the entire history of the planet is talking complete and utter fucking bollocks. 

Chances of standing in dog shit: Highly Likely

Get it right Rico for fuck sake. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've never been to France, but I do wonder how it's so bad that people risk their lives trying to escape it to get here.

How is that possible? Go to Paris immediately and take the missus. It’s wonderful and Galeries Lafayette has a great floating Christmas Tree with a 30 foot astronaut Santa at the moment. Shopping is pretty good in there too

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm sure Johnson will do everything he can to stop these gangs.

Apart from stopping them laundering money through the City of London of course or trying to reduce the need for some of these people having to leave their homes because they are being bombed using weapons we sold them.

Helping people is all well and good, but we can't be doing anything silly like compromising our bottom line to do so. 

9 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Yep I've often fancied a stay in one of those delightful detention centres we have.

If what you are saying is trie why do 100% of all asylum seekers come here?

9 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I'm unsure how many are getting housing for 'free'. Also from memory aren't there some blocks on being able to access the welfare system for the first X number of years you are in the UK?

I think being an anglophone country is probably a significant draw given how widespread English is a second language.

In my view what is currently happening (and terrible tragedies like the one which occurred yesterday) is going to look absolutely miniscule in comparison with the migration in-flows when climate forcing really start to amp up, the below figures from the 2020 paper by Xu, Kohler, Lenton, Svenning, Schefer et al. gives an indication of where we are heading to.

457612869_XuKohlerLentonSvenningScheferhumandensitygraphandprojections2020.thumb.jpg.af573eccbadc2450bb2b4d1edfc6ead4.jpg

231216889_XuKohlerLentonSvenningScheferhumandensitymapprojections2020.thumb.jpg.b4be0152f035b9844b6fd1c21c9f9498.jpg

Looks good for India, Bangladesh and Pakistan! With their tiny combined population of 1.76 Bn...

This is why the government are trying to set up a deal with the Albanians to take migrants prior to processing at £100k a pop. They have been looking to the Australian Nauru bit for inspiration.

I think it will be very difficult in the future for political parties in the UK not to be extremely anti immigration and tub thumping about this. I expect that drones will be part of the response.

Migration of course will actually help the UK given our aging demography and rapidly falling birth rate*.

1271235561_UKpopulationpyramid2021.png.08a4f29572f8d1313643fbbf470d5e74.png

2081424210_UKbirthratelast10years.png.51139b55f0402c5a8c1da102b77f0e2c.png

* the predominant cause of which in my opinion is asset price inflation (difficult to have children in shared flats/private rental accommodation** where huge chunks of your income are going to rentiers) and childcare costs*** rather than any concerns about the climate or drops in sperm counts/motility (caused by long term plastics and chemicals ingestion)

**Number of households occupied by private renters in England from 2000 to 2020 (in millions)

image.png.1e6a271703feb0b2b399f8c98512302a.png

141540582_Rentalpriceincrease2015-2021.png.88c403a0905be4dc845490fc71b33f2c.png

***Child care costs graph from the world economic forum

2103276827_WorldEconomicForumChildcarecosts.png.7d10136ce9e59a72df004a781e47441c.png

Private renters UK 2020.png

• Upvote 2

The migrants term is pretty Orwellian in terms of how you can redefine an issue and a person simply by changing words. We've been using the term in the press now for years.

Presumably the first thing 99.9% of them do is request asylum which would make them, erm, asylum seekers.

A migrant is Polish barber who comes over on the train.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

I'm unsure how many are getting housing for 'free'. Also from memory aren't there some blocks on being able to access the welfare system for the first X number of years you are in the UK?

I think being an anglophone country is probably a significant draw given how widespread English is a second language.

In my view what is currently happening (and terrible tragedies like the one which occurred yesterday) is going to look absolutely miniscule in comparison with the migration in-flows when climate forcing really start to amp up, the below figures from the 2020 paper by Xu, Kohler, Lenton, Svenning, Schefer et al. gives an indication of where we are heading to.

457612869_XuKohlerLentonSvenningScheferhumandensitygraphandprojections2020.thumb.jpg.af573eccbadc2450bb2b4d1edfc6ead4.jpg

231216889_XuKohlerLentonSvenningScheferhumandensitymapprojections2020.thumb.jpg.b4be0152f035b9844b6fd1c21c9f9498.jpg

Looks good for India, Bangladesh and Pakistan! With their tiny combined population of 1.76 Bn...

This is why the government are trying to set up a deal with the Albanians to take migrants prior to processing at £100k a pop. They have been looking to the Australian Nauru bit for inspiration.

I think it will be very difficult in the future for political parties in the UK not to be extremely anti immigration and tub thumping about this. I expect that drones will be part of the response.

Migration of course will actually help the UK given our aging demography and rapidly falling birth rate*.

1271235561_UKpopulationpyramid2021.png.08a4f29572f8d1313643fbbf470d5e74.png

2081424210_UKbirthratelast10years.png.51139b55f0402c5a8c1da102b77f0e2c.png

* the predominant cause of which in my opinion is asset price inflation (difficult to have children in shared flats/private rental accommodation** where huge chunks of your income are going to rentiers) and childcare costs*** rather than any concerns about the climate or drops in sperm counts/motility (caused by long term plastics and chemicals ingestion)

**Number of households occupied by private renters in England from 2000 to 2020 (in millions)

image.png.1e6a271703feb0b2b399f8c98512302a.png

141540582_Rentalpriceincrease2015-2021.png.88c403a0905be4dc845490fc71b33f2c.png

***Child care costs graph from the world economic forum

2103276827_WorldEconomicForumChildcarecosts.png.7d10136ce9e59a72df004a781e47441c.png

Private renters UK 2020.png

I wasn’t referring to migrants or asylum seekers, I’m responding to people who live in the U.K. now who variously describe the U.K. as a shit hole or a place they’d be desperate to leave.  We don’t realise how fucking lucky we are, this place is heaven compared to a vast majority of the world. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I wasn’t referring to migrants or asylum seekers, I’m responding to people who live in the U.K. now who variously describe the U.K. as a shit hole or a place they’d be desperate to leave.  We don’t realise how fucking lucky we are, this place is heaven compared to a vast majority of the world. 

Agreed, though there are a number of metrics indicating declining living standards segments of the UK's population. Also I've always thought it's a bit reductionist to say look how much better we are doing than x,y,z population over there 'we are so lucky', the aim should be to both improve the lot of people here and in the other locale.

• Upvote 1