You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Migrants

Bjornebye

I wasn't sure what to put as the thread title.

Awful this. At least 31 migrants have died trying to cross the channel when the boat they were in capsized. 

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/31-migrants-dead-and-26-rescued-after-boat-capsizes-in-the-english-channel-41086186.html

I was listening to something this morning that said virtually all those that get across immediately try to claim asylum.

This suggests they aren’t hiding, so removing their need to take risks in the channel seems the right thing to do. Let them come, safely, and then process them one way or the other. Put a huge dent in the people smugglers profits as well. Spend some money making certain this can be done with proper resources and treating each applicant decently, whether their asylum is granted or not.

If the asylum system needs changing  then so be it but in the short term let’s just stop kids from dying. 

I’m sure that’s far from a perfect solution but if it prevents one scared child, escaping from god only knows what, from drowning in the freezing water then so be it.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm instinctively against offshore processing centres for asylum seekers. But, cases like this are one of the few factors in favour of such an approach. 

Not having a go at the original post, rather the papers etc, but surely 31 people would've been more suitable wording? 

Yep. I should have wrote 'human beings'. Apologies. I was just still a bit numb from reading the article. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There what is? I can see now Anubis basically made the same point anyway. 

The absolute distortion of the immigration/asylum situation.

Percentage wise the amount that come to Blightly is much, much smaller that most European countries, yet it's used as a tool to angry up the rabble with nonsense like 'Why do they bother?'

Multiple reasons, family here, common language (Most likely their 2nd/3rd), the draw of living in one of the most recognisable and diverse countries on the planet, schooling in the worlds lingua franca for their children and the options for work that brings if they are successful, I could go on...

As a liberal I assume you'd just see England as a construct and a scrap of land, but hey-ho, your instincts to play the contrarian are starting to outweigh your liberal tendencies.

• Upvote 3

Lots don’t get a choice, they don’t even know where they are.  

Then there’s no requirement to claim asylum in the first, second or any number of country you are in.

At what point does the money spent to keep ‘them’ out exceed the money that would be spent processing and helping those genuinely claiming asylum. 

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The absolute distortion of the immigration/asylum situation.

Percentage wise the amount that come to Blightly is much, much smaller that most European countres, yet it's used as a tool to angry up the rabble with nonsense like 'Why do they bother?'

Multiple reasons, family here, common language (Most likely their 2nd/3rd), the draw of living in one of the most recognisable and diverse countries on the planet, schooling in the worlds lingua franca for their children and the options for work that brings if they are successful, I could go on...

As a liberal I assume you'd just see England as a construct and a scrap of land, but hey-ho, your instincts to play the contrarian are starting to outweigh your liberal tendencies.

I think the only thing being distorted here is my words.

I'm not remotely angry about people coming here, Britain is an island so everyone here is an immigrant.

Regardless, if it was me, then wild horses wouldn't drag me to this fucking shithole, especially if it meant risking my life, if I had the option of remaining on the continent.

Just now, Paulie Dangerously said:

Know the term was necessary for the thread but I've grown to loath that word. 

How much easier it is for us to stomach the news that 30 migrants have died than 30 people. Or 30 men, women and children. 

Dehumanising 

I know it's only a small thing, but I always correct people over here when they call ma 'Ex-pat' I tell them I'm an immigrant, as I know if it was the other way around the phrase would be loaded.

When a Naval ship goes through the Dover Straits they close all doors and hatches being that it's one of the busiest shipping lanes on the planet and a dangerous stretch of water. These poor people are that desperate to reach Britain that they get in a crowded dingy just about fit to cross the Mersey. They aren't doing it for a holiday. 

39 Vietnamese basically cooked to death in a shipping container to get here not long ago. This is a massive humanitarian crisis and far too many people dismiss it "The RNLI, I won't be donating to them anymore (as if you ever did) they're just a taxi service" fuck off. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I was listening to something this morning that said virtually all those that get across immediately try to claim asylum.

I think that's 'cos you can't claim asylum until you are here. Not 100% sure on that though.

• Upvote 1

I think the main factor might just be a mixture of human nature, self preservation and the natural instinct to make the best of one's life. 

As already touched on, asylum seekers are people. They've made a choice to leave their old life, including family and friends. That's quite a big, life changing decision to make. Some might argue that getting refuge as quickly as possible should be the dominant factor in their decision to lay down roots. But, should it? If you were to make a decision to set up life somewhere else, I'd seriously question if you said you wouldn't look at other factors such as language, the presence of family and friends in your new home area, life prospects including the ability to seek employment and access healthcare and education, how you'd be treated by the state mechanisms and authorities in the place you'd now be calling home, as well as the local residents. If I was to move somewhere, I'd weigh up stuff like this. Why shouldn't asylum seekers do this? Despite misinformation to the contrary, they have no legal obligation to claim asylum in the first safe country they reach. 

Then there's issues of whether they're acting with autonomy or have left everything to the agents/traffickers they've paid large sums of money too. 

The "what's wrong with France?" argument is a fairly basic, ignorant and short-sighted view on a much more complex situation. 

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think the only thing being distorted here is my words.

I'm not remotely angry about people coming here, Britain is an island so everyone here is an immigrant.

Regardless, if it was me, then wild horses wouldn't drag me to this fucking shithole, especially if it meant risking my life, if I had the option of remaining on the continent.

If you had experienced the existential loss of your homeland and everything you knew I'm sure you'd cling to whatever hope you had projected on a place/country.

Anyhows life's too short, I thought it was an odd choice of phrase and pulled you up.

I hope you, yours and anybody else you care for never know that feeling.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If you had experienced the existential loss of your homeland and everything you knew I'm sure you'd cling to whatever hope you had projected on a place/country.

Anyhows life's too short, I thought it was an odd choice of phrase and pulled you up.

I hope you, yours and anybody else you care for never know that feeling.

To be fair to Strontz here, he did it in reverse and moved from Woolton to Wallasey.