You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago: I made the right choice to join Liverpool   

TLW

Thiago Alcantara is adamant that he made the right decision to join Liverpool and says that he is at the club for the long haul.

The Spanish international with the glittering footballing resume came to the Reds last season understandably with much fanfare.

But with everything that took place courtesy of the pandemic, it certainly was not the perfect time to adapt to a new league.

The cause of Thiago was not helped early on by the fact that he was infected with coronavirus and not soon after, suffered a serious knee injury courtesy of a incredibly reckless challenge by Richarlison in the Derby which saw him on the sidelines for over two months.

The inconsistent nature of his performances in the second half of last season led some pundits to question if he was the right player for the Reds and if his style suited the Premier League.

After being fit at the start of the season, a calf injury sustained in September saw the midfielder on the sidelines for around six weeks saw more doubts raised if the 30 year-old could be relied upon on a consistent basis.

It led to rumours that a return to Barcelona to play new manager and former teammate Xavi could be on the cards.

After playing cameo roles in a couple of fixtures prior to the international break, his performance against Arsenal last Saturday was a illustration in what he can bring to the side.

Speaking ahead of the Champions League clash with Porto (per the Mirror), Thiago made it clear that he is extremely happy where he is at this point of time.

thiago1_600.jpg

100% I made the right choice to join Liverpool, the right move.

“As I always have been, I am a guy who plays football - I am not concerned about the rumours. I’m focused on the duty I have with my team and the years I have in contract with my team.”

The midfielder has won a incredible 11 league titles in his career to this stage, four with Barcelona and seven with Bayern Munich along with Champions League triumphs at both clubs, not to mention many domestic honours.

Alcantara though is far from satisfied and wants to have his share of success at Liverpool.

“I just want to know about this new adventure that I have here in the Premier League and try to win all the trophies I can..

“With my experience and knowledge in football, I can be better, learning new things, so why not come?

“And my commitment is maximum with this team, my commitment is much more.”

"With my experience and knowledge in football, I can be better, learning new things, so why not come?

Along with the success that he has had, Thiago is in the fortunate position to have played under two of the outstanding managers of the modern era in Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp and described the similarities and differences in the pair.

“They both have the same charismatic character and have a group in their hands, they know what to do to make them perform better and to help them in difficult situations.

“The differences you can see in how the teams play. One has more possession and one has wildness with control, at the same point. It’s great, both are doing what they want in the greatest way football can bring.”

View full article

• Upvote 1