You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF's All Time TV Theme Tune - Group 21

Bjornebye

The GF's All Time TV Theme Tune - Group 21  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Two

• The South Bank Show
    • BBC Cricket
    • BBC Rugby Special
    • Scooby Doo (Original)
    • Poleterac
    • Cheers
    • Sparta FC
    • Doctor Who (Original)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 13:14

Fucking hell, I thought the round a few ago was the group of death but this is a right bastard. Always loved that South Bank Show theme. 

Has to be Cheers and BBC Cricket, just beating Dr Who. There were about 5 BBC Rugby Special versions so I picked the oldest. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Cricket and Cheers. Doctor Who an unlucky third. 

This is the Rugby Special theme I expected to see.

https://youtu.be/X3lOD44Oexw

I watched that one but thought it couldn't have been as some of the images were too modern. It's fucking shite anyway mate 

• Upvote 1

I would argue that Dr Who is the most iconic theme music of all time, it's quite astoundingly spooky and ahead of it's time. Agree with Stig that this is a very, very tough group though. I've gone for the BBC cricket and Dr Who. I quite like the rugby one but i've never heard the one that was posted, i do remember this cheese packed classic though

EDIT : Yorkshire Red is on the same track

16 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I would argue that Dr Who is the most iconic theme music of all time, it's quite astoundingly spooky and ahead of it's time. Agree with Stig that this is a very, very tough group though. I've gone for the BBC cricket and Dr Who. I quite like the rugby one but i've never heard the one that was posted, i do remember this cheese packed classic though

EDIT : Yorkshire Red is on the same track

I don't think it's ahead of its time, what makes it even creepier is that it's from the 60's. Adds to the atmosphere around it. I suspect many a young kid had nightmares about that tune alone. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't think it's ahead of its time, what makes it even creepier is that it's from the 60's. Adds to the atmosphere around it. I suspect many a young kid had nightmares about that tune alone. 

It deffo is, those kind of techniques used by the radiophonic workshop were totally rare back then. How many tv themes or even music released generally used tape loops and treated sounds like this in 1963? It's hugely experimental.

Deffo agree with the nightmares thing, it used to scare the hell out of me. 

Doctor Who is wonderful, Cricket is just Booker T+s Soul Limbo (unless that was composed for the show?), South Bank Show is a valiant effort, but I am contractually obliged to give my other vote to Poletarac.

Now, about Cheers. I know that it's famous and all, but I have recently re-watched a few of early seasons and found the song completely insufferable, after a couple of episodes, I am talking Guantanamo torture material. FF was earning its pay from about ep4 on here.

Crikey, this is really difficult. The BBC cricket theme is excellent. As always though, I’m voting for my favourites. Therefore, it’s Doctor Who, then either The Southbank Show or Scooby Doo, Where Are You!. I’ve never actually watched The Southbank Show but I love the theme tune, so it has to be that.

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Crikey, this is really difficult. The BBC cricket theme is excellent. As always though, I’m voting for my favourites. Therefore, it’s Doctor Who, then either The Southbank Show or Scooby Doo, Where Are You!. I’ve never actually watched The Southbank Show but I love the theme tune, so it has to be that.

I tried listening to Variations once. I wouldn't again.

Wow easily the toughest group, all of them are brilliant apart from the Rugby. I feel sorry for SasaS as that'll get fuck all votes even though it's been his best shout so far. Cricket gets one vote, the 2nd is between several: Dr Who, Cheers, South Bank show and Sparta FC. 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Now, about Cheers. I know that it's famous and all, but I have recently re-watched a few of early seasons and found the song completely insufferable, after a couple of episodes, I am talking Guantanamo torture material. FF was earning its pay from about ep4 on here.

Couldn't agree more with this, it's horrifically saccharine. It would be better if Leonard Cohen had sung it, if only to take the edge off it.  

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

1 minute ago, Total Longo said:

Couldn't agree more with this, it's horrifically saccharine. It would be better if Leonard Cohen had sung it, if only to take the edge off it.  

ricky-gervais-talking.gif