You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Arsenal 0 (Nov 21 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

We needed that. I needed that. After two poor results this was a big game for us. I don’t want to over-state it by saying it was going to be pivotal to our season, as there’s an awful lot of footy still to be played, but it was probably bigger than most people realised. It’s rare that we have two bad results in a row, but three would definitely suggest a chink in the armour.

More than that though, for me personally anyway, this is Arsenal. You have to beat Arsenal. You can’t not beat them as it’s just completely unacceptable. It’s the cardinal sin in my eyes. If you say “Hey Siri, show me a team that looks like it’s been created just so Liverpool can batter them” you’ll get Arteta’s Arsenal. I still haven’t got over us losing to them in our title winning season. I was so offended by that it took some of the shine off number 19. Ok, not really. Well, yeah a little bit. That was the night when we blew the chance to reach one hundred point mark. 

If we’d taken care of business that night we’d have ended the season on 101 points. I know most people don’t care about that, and in the grand scheme of things neither do I, but it did really fucking irk me that Arsenal beat us and were then smelling themselves like they’d done something special when really we handed them the points by being wasteful at one end and sloppy as fuck at the other. They didn’t even play well. They were fucking shite.

So yeah, I didn’t take that one well at all. Losing to a Watford or West Ham I can handle. In fact, losing to most teams I can handle as it can happen. Losing to Arsenal though should never happen. I’m not saying Arsenal are as bad as Norwich as clearly they aren’t. They’re probably a top seven or eight team, maybe even a little higher than that. But the way they play means they should never even get within two or three goals of us, let alone take any points. So I loved this simply because it went EXACTLY the way it’s supposed to.

When we play this incarnation of Arsenal, this is what should happen. Every time. Why? Just fucking look at how they play. The sheer arrogance, stubbornness and delusion of that tit manager of theirs is mind boggling. We’ve seen this movie before. He does this shit every time they come to Anfield and each time I’m sat there wondering just what he’s playing at.

It takes a planet sized ego to go up against a team as great as ours and insist on playing like that even when it’s continually getting punished. I remember being completely staggered by it the last time it happened but the arrogance to come here again and do the exact same thing, and then blame the players afterwards for it not working… just what a fucking knobhead.

Don’t get me wrong, we were really good in the second half and it was great to see. What I’m saying is that this is what should happen when a team comes to Anfield and does this. I used the analogy on the podcast that Arsenal were basically throwing chum over the side of the boat, waiting for the sharks to work themselves into a frenzy and then just throwing themselves in the water. Thats what the second half felt like. It was football suicide from them but unlike Arteta I don’t blame their players. They’re just playing to his orders.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Great stuff Dave. The ref's behaviour on the Mo pelanty was atrocious. Imagine that happening to the gimp Fernandes? Not a chance. 

Likewise the ref ignored the huge amount of time Ramsdale was taking at goal kicks. That was almost certainly an Arteta directive because he was still at it when they went behind. Like who's that helping dickwad? 

I know there's been discussion elsewhere about singing "Ole's at the wheel" when we're playing other teams, and I too think it's small-time. As equally small-time as cheering passes that our supporters were doing mid-way through the second half. Like, seriously? Purleeeeze. 

• Upvote 2

Alisson made a good save with his foot from Aubamayeng when it was 2 nil.

The header from Kosta to Jota, and the through ball header from Jota to Mane for the 3rd was just fantastic to witness.

One of my favourite goals of the season.

Also, there was a no look pass from VVD that was pure filth. I wonder if @Caramaccan do the honours?

• Upvote 2

I don’t think Dave has a lot of admiration for the Arteta project at Arsenal. Just a feeling I get.

On the atmosphere, I thought it sounded really crap until the bust up. Any idea why? Some have said the fans were nervous maybe due to recent matches.

The at the wheel songs sounded like they were being booed. And what’s wrong with the cheering when we pass the ball? I don’t think that’s new age supporter behaviour. I’m sure the kop hade done it for years.

• Upvote 5

Klopp would have knocked that spray painted wig right off his stupid little Thunderbirds looking face.

Made me spray coffee all over my screen this am.  Fucking hate that jumped up little cunt(pisses me of we lost to them in 19.20 too). And to think some peope thought he was the brains behind Baldiola. 

Anyways, great result and it means I can rip the piss out off my manager who's a cocky Arsenal fan. 

As aside now that Ole is no longer at the wheel (boooo!) Lego head is the only former player/club legend (HA!) left in charge after Lumpolard and Ole's departures. Long may he reign cos Arsenal are clearly shit & I can't believe I was worried about the fuckers. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Alisson made a good save with his foot from Aubamayeng when it was 2 nil.

The header from Kosta to Jota, and the through ball header from Jota to Mane for the 3rd was just fantastic to witness.

One of my favourite goals of the season.

Also, there was a no look pass from VVD that was pure filth. I wonder if @Caramaccan do the honours?

FPvIiDV.gif

4EX26AI.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

My favourite bit was probably the genuine hug between Sadio and Mo after Mo's goal.

Also a laugh hearing Carragher stating that Sadio is a disciplinary worry who ' always plays on the edge ' at the same time the caption came up showing that was his first league yellow card of the season in late-November.

• Upvote 5

I don't know. I kind of admire coaches that don't give up on their principles. I think it's the only way you are really going to dominate as a football team.  You might win the odd cup (or if the odds/money) are stacked enough in your favour - one league title, but if you want to win the Premier League and compete year on year, you simply can't keep playing to what the opposition does. It's why a novice like Solskjaer has a really good record against Pep (and relatively against Klopp too), but is completely out of his depth when trying to install playing principles destined to dominate other teams.

For instance, I absolutely hated whenever we played differently and gave up on our identities under previous managers. The amount of shit Guardiola received (by the English press at least) whenever his Barca side lost to a set piece or some counter attack and couldn't provide a plan B, similarly his first year at City should probably also be able to provide some context. There's a lot of similarities (naturally) to how Arteta and Guardiola set their sides up. 

It's just a bad headache comping up against us for every progressive coach out there. While I wholeheartedly agree that it's suicidal against us, I think it gives out completely the wrong signal if you suddenly fully abandon the ship whenever you come up against us (or City). It's a lose-lose situation, really. Do you play like Burnley for 90 mins and completely give up on your principles in the hope you'll get lucky? Do you do some kind of hybrid where your players aren't really sure when to go long and/or short? Or do you stick by what you have coached and worked on for your last 5-10 years? I know what I would do. Let's face it, City away and Liverpool away, you're most likely getting beat whichever way you choose if said teams are on form.

While I'm not privy as to how good a coach Arteta really is, I have a hell of a lot more trust in his project than those of Lampard and Solskjaer, where you couldn't really identify any positive attacking pattern throughout their tenures. This Arsenal side will give Utd and Spurs (and West Ham) a run for the final top 4 spot, and I wouldn't be too worried if I were an Arsenal fan today.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic