You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FC Porto (H) – CL, Wed 24th Nov 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

A game that has nothing riding on it for us as we’ve already fulfilled our first goal by qualifying for the knockout stage with 2 games to spare. We have been a class apart from the rest of the group, and on the face of it this game gives Jurgen an opportunity to give some players a rest and others an opportunity. I say ‘on the face of it’ because a number of those who could do with games are currently sidelined so it’s hard to say what the manager will do. Anyway:

Firepower. Urgency. Composure. Know-how. Organisation. Ferocity. Flexibility. Moxie. Order. Utter control. Maximum concentration. Outstanding performances. Utter belief.

I don’t ask for much.

We have dismantled the Portuguese side in recent years, attacking them from all angles and punishing their lethargy as they simply did not know whether to press or drop back. They’ve ended up doing neither, leaving gaps everywhere and getting picked off. We play to a greater intensity than most teams in the world and, even if sides handle it during a game against us, they appear to feel it for weeks afterwards. Playing in the Portuguese league and being one of 3 dominant teams, that level of intensity is not something the likes of Porto will be used to.

The games used to be much tighter. During our 2001 UEFA Cup run, we met them in the quarter finals. The first leg in Porto had been a very cagey affair where we merely kept it tight, sat back and looked to hit them on the counter. It was a typical European away performance, and most of our European games that season followed that pattern. We were much more expansive in the second leg at Anfield in mid-March 2001.Murphy and Owen scored 2 fairly scruffy goals against a team that looked shell-shocked by the atmosphere under the Anfield lights. This was the pre-Mourinho era but they still had Deco and Alenichev in the team – two players who scored in their Champions League final win just 3 years later. We were too good for them and the win set up a semi final against a Barcelona team that no longer contained Figo but still had the likes of Rivaldo, Xavi and Kluivert. And Pepe Reina of course.

The number one film at the box office in March 2001 was Steven Seagal actioner Exit Wounds. I’ve seen it but I cannot remember it at all. Seagal movies are like that. You’ve probably seen more than you realise because they’re all so samey. He kicks some arse,says very little, speaks in a slightly raspy voice and dons his singular cardboard cut-out facial expression. Jason Statham raised the bar years later by adding ‘incredulous’ and ‘tired of this shit’ facial expressions to all the arse-kicking and even raspier-voiced direlogue.

It’s hard to know what we’ll do for this one. There’s a chance to fuck up Diego Simeone’s chances of progress with Atletico but I’m pretty certain the boss is only focussed on his team. Injury avoidance is probably the big thing he’ll want to take away from this one. I’m certain he will want to avoid defeat, and I’m with him on both counts. It’s the last game away in Milan that really doesn’t matter. For now, let’s build some momentum while several players slowly return to the squad after injury. After all, momentum is everything. Whoever is selected, just go in there and get the job done. Oh, and avoid any exit wounds.

• Upvote 9

Between now and January is a ridiculously busy period for the team (and Trumo). There's no choice but to use everyone who's available in the squad at some point or other. The two CL games are the ones with least riding on them (in terms of trophies) so I'd be happy to see some unfamiliar starters for these games.

Having said that, it's Porto and snotting them has become our thing. Just get these beat, Reds.

Cant have any old European teams winning at Anfield just because we've qualified for the knock out. Jurgen has to shuffle the pack but this isnt a domestic cup so I dont expect a team from the 'B' list for this. Besides, Porto seem to think they should always be beating us when we play them so I dont want them having an easy game.

'Dead rubber' me arse.

I expect a pretty strong side here. Including the likes of konate, tsimikas, origi, taki, neco, possible philips. It all depends on whether Keita, Milner and possibly robbo are fit. 

I'd imagine robbo will be saved for Saturday. 

Kelleher, tsimikas, konate, philips, neco, hendo, fabinho, morton, origi, taki, salah

Let's hope we have a couple more lads fit as December is unforgiving 

Given we have a largish number of injuries and fact we seem to pick up a new injury more or less every game i wouldn't want to see us risking anyone really.....Fringe and B list players is fine with me for this - bigger picture heading into a ridiculously busy schedule should be looked at....

If we weren't battling with so many injuries then it would be a lot easier to put out a strongish team, but we are struggling and i don't see any point in taking risks here.

6 minutes ago, Butch said:

Hope Philips gets the chance to play in the remaining games, he made a massive contribution to us getting into the champions league this season. Play with a full house too, he deserves it 

Screenshot_20210523_193255.thumb.jpg.68b69afe2cf1848590cb0a4f12123f3c.jpg

Absolutely should play midweek.

VVD needs a rest - just come off back of internationals and we have a heavy programme ahead.

Matip - just not worth taking any unnecessary risks.

Gomez - injured.

Phillips and Konate it surely has to be.

We played Midgetland last year after we had qualified. Klopp had complained about the players having no rest then played almost a full strength team. Jota got injured in that game and was out for a while. It was only down to the fact that the money was worth more to the owners than probably winning the Carabao Cup.

47 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

We played Midgetland last year after we had qualified. Klopp had complained about the players having no rest then played almost a full strength team. Jota got injured in that game and was out for a while. It was only down to the fact that the money was worth more to the owners than probably winning the Carabao Cup.

Here's hoping we've learned from that