You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone’s Continuing To Have A Real Laugh - Michael Carrick Interim United Manager

Anubis

He isn't going to be allowed to chuck Maguire, Pogba and Ronaldo on the bench so I'd be quite surprised if they even scraped 4th.

Odd league now. The top three are in the top five or six sides in the world. The fourth best team, whoever they end up being, aren't in the top 20.

• Upvote 1

Leaving the next 6 months aside, because they’ll throw up plenty more comedy for now, if the plan is as it seems to bring in a Pochettino or similar and have Rangnick as someone above manager level with the first clue about football, this isn’t great news in the medium to long-term. He’s a great example of someone who knows how to build a modern football club where all the elements link up and work together, and that’s not only exactly what they need but the lack of it is realistically what has been helping them waste the enormous advantage of their bottomless well of cash.

• Upvote 1

On 25/11/2021 at 17:21, Jairzinho said:

He isn't going to be allowed to chuck Maguire, Pogba and Ronaldo on the bench so I'd be quite surprised if they even scraped 4th.

Odd league now. The top three are in the top five or six sides in the world. The fourth best team, whoever they end up being, aren't in the top 20.

I agree with the first bit, but the second just isn't true, I'm afraid.

Even the fifth-best English teams is probably in the top 20. Even Leicester and West Ham (maybe the 6th/7th-best?) are top of their Europa groups, for example, so even they aren't miles away.

I think we really underestimate the financial advantage the Premier League has and how it's causing a talent drain from what were the previous 20th-40th best teams in Europe over to the PL. You see teams like Leicester and Villa taking the best players off of the likes of Salzburg and Leverkusen and you just know that it's trickling down further than just the top 4 nowadays.

I haven’t been on the forum for a wee while, so sorry if this has already been raised but… hearing the way Scholes has talked about Carrick (and to a lesser extent Phelan, etc) has been truly weird. Apparently Solksjaer’s backroom team have just as much responsibility as he does - more, even.

Just can’t wrap my head around this. But presumably it means that there’s no chance of a Carrick’s At The Wheel bandwagon. 

11 hours ago, Ron B said:

I haven’t been on the forum for a wee while, so sorry if this has already been raised but… hearing the way Scholes has talked about Carrick (and to a lesser extent Phelan, etc) has been truly weird. Apparently Solksjaer’s backroom team have just as much responsibility as he does - more, even.

Just can’t wrap my head around this. But presumably it means that there’s no chance of a Carrick’s At The Wheel bandwagon. 

I think OGS modelled himself on Ferguson and was very clear he was the manager and he had other people to do the coaching. I think that's why Carrick and phelan are getting so much shit. 

2 hours ago, Em City said:

I was laughing during the match yesterday, the commentators talking like he has literally invented modern football. And not once did they ask why he's won fuck all and why he was plying his trade in Moscow. 

On 27/11/2021 at 05:18, Ne Moe Imya said:

I agree with the first bit, but the second just isn't true, I'm afraid.

Even the fifth-best English teams is probably in the top 20. Even Leicester and West Ham (maybe the 6th/7th-best?) are top of their Europa groups, for example, so even they aren't miles away.

I think we really underestimate the financial advantage the Premier League has and how it's causing a talent drain from what were the previous 20th-40th best teams in Europe over to the PL. You see teams like Leicester and Villa taking the best players off of the likes of Salzburg and Leverkusen and you just know that it's trickling down further than just the top 4 nowadays.

Spot on.

On 23/11/2021 at 14:18, Turkish Delight said:

I was delighted they signed Ronaldo in the Summer.

They did ok last year based on a defence that defended deep and having lightning pace on the counter.

The now play a forward each week who can't/won't run which harms their ability to do that. To compensate their defence is no longer as deep and it exposes the likes of Maguire, Wan Bisska and Shaw who don't have the pace or ability to play further up the pitch.

They're caught between two ways of playing. Dropping Ronaldo and going back to last season's basics is the short term answer that would probably get them 4th but he'll be looking to plunge the knife at any opportunity if they do that.

Long term to be a progressive team their whole defence and midfield needs a complete overhaul.

Exactly!

That's why it's so good he scored a couple yesterday and will continue to score every now and then, making it difficult maybe even impossible, to drop the lazy f**cker

Catch22 really.

Glory glory ....

6 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Exactly!

That's why it's so good he scored a couple yesterday and will continue to score every now and then, making it difficult maybe even impossible, to drop the lazy f**cker

Catch22 really.

Glory glory ....

Ronaldo was our's and cities best signing. They will eat themselves.

On 29/11/2021 at 09:03, Barrington Womble said:

I think OGS modelled himself on Ferguson and was very clear he was the manager and he had other people to do the coaching. I think that's why Carrick and phelan are getting so much shit. 

That makes sense (insofar as how Solksjaer has spun the narrative anyway). Ta. 
Still a crock of shit though - the buck stops with the guy in charge, and this complaint about “Jobs for the boys, even if they’ve never done anything as a coach or manager,” applies more to the Norwegian than it does to any of the others. 

On 25/11/2021 at 22:21, Jairzinho said:

I think they still have a decent chance of fourth, awful as they are, as most other sides outside of the top three are less than impressive too, aside from the ‘great story’ exceptions like Brentford who won’t challenge either as they don’t have the resources. West Ham are about the pick of the bunch. 

On 29/11/2021 at 09:03, Barrington Womble said:

It was a smart move.

He was just lacking that wee bit of leadership, influence, intelligence, personality, character, and know-how to pull it off.

• Upvote 2