You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone’s Continuing To Have A Real Laugh - Michael Carrick Interim United Manager

Anubis

3 minutes ago, clangers said:

That's it, if they have any sense let him manage the team for six months which gives him proper oversight of the squad and club structure then move him upstairs as the director of football with genuine control. Still think they'll screw this up, the Glazers won't stand for anyone interfering and their supporters will have turned on him by then.

Yeah. Rangnick is respected by a lot of people in the game,even our own boss. But I feel his strength is behind the scenes rather than out front like his fellow countryman Klopp. Only getting a 6 month contract is a bit of a lack of a vote of confidence even before he takes over though.

If the end result is Marsch or Nagelsmann or another Red Bull alumni, then it makes sense. But their next coach won’t be one of them. 

Why would the players break their back learning gengenpressing when he won’t be there in 6m?  

I don’t get it. It’s not as if his reputation as a manager is particularly stellar.

4DBBFF92-24FE-4BA7-8A04-D239B2897C91.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If the end result is Marsch or Nagelsmann or another Red Bull alumni, then it makes sense. But their next coach won’t be one of them. 

Why would the players break their back learning gengenpressing when he won’t be there in 6m?  

I don’t get it. It’s not as if his reputation as a manager is particularly stellar.

4DBBFF92-24FE-4BA7-8A04-D239B2897C91.jpeg

Yeah,just seems to emphasise his strengths appear to be more on the administrative side than much else.

This UTD team are not set up physically to counter press, their main striker WILL NOT press, if one player doesn't buy onto it then the whole house of cards can fall down.

To me this is a 50 / 50 appointment, could end up getting top 4 comfortably ar could end up 8th.

There will be no high line, there will be no press from the front, that midfield are not capable of dominating a game. This will be very interesting.

33 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

This UTD team are not set up physically to counter press, their main striker WILL NOT press, if one player doesn't buy onto it then the whole house of cards can fall down.

To me this is a 50 / 50 appointment, could end up getting top 4 comfortably ar could end up 8th.

There will be no high line, there will be no press from the front, that midfield are not capable of dominating a game. This will be very interesting.

Although I tend to agree, Rangnick has nothing to lose by binning Ronaldo. Not his problem in 6m time.

I think they have the players to do the press, I’m sure Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, Sancho, Fernandes & Van De Beek could all get on board quite quickly but why stick in all the effort just for 6m? 

Rangnick‘s general record as a manager isn’t great. If they don’t get results straight away, it doesn’t give players the motivation to persist.

Still doesn’t solve the “Right Said McFred “issue.

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The Athletic discussion thread about this is pure gold. Fletcher can soak up all of Rangnick’s knowledge and take over the reins in two years. 

I had no idea that they've apparently recruited the inventor of german football and the greatest tactical football brain on the planet for six months tasked with forcing Ronaldo and Pogba to run around a bit more. What could possibly go wrong?

They have recruited a man that definately knows what he’s doing. That has his own, genuine ideas, of how to build both a team and a club. If they intend to keep him in a sporting director type of role after the 6 months, and they give him the authority and freedom to do things his own way, I think this could be a very good move for them. 

Let’s hope that’s not the case, and that they just see this as a safe pair of hands to steady the ship until they manage to regroup and appoint a permanent manager, which will indeed be him if he manages to win a few games.

On 24/11/2021 at 16:01, Harry Squatter said:

The point I was trying to make in my original post. We could have put more distance between us and them given their repeated incompetence since Ferguson left. As it is they only have to find a half decent manager to make them good again. 

They will still have to compete against the 3 best managers in the world.

There is no way they will dominate like in the 90s again

It's another reactionary signing to show Jurgen's got permanent residence in their head. It's the same logic that saw them sign Harry Maguire because he had similar aerial ability to Van Dijk or when they signed Fred, Ronaldo and Sanchez to thwart City. They're reacting to what us and City do, rather than focusing on themselves. Rangnick has been brought in to be their pound shop Jurgen Klopp, but Jurgen's greatest strength is not the gegenpress, it's who he is as a person.