You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone’s Continuing To Have A Real Laugh - Michael Carrick Interim United Manager

Anubis

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Half a million bones a week for an over the hill ego to come on and snatch a winner against Newcastle?

Again, more than happy with that.

The way I saw it when there signed him was him winning them games they weren't winning in previous seasons. An NBA-like closer to make sure they wrapped up close games down the stretch.

Those games at home where they couldn't break teams down, or gave up leads. If they'd deployed him from that perspective, it wouldn't have been a bad signing for them. Hell, he pulled it off a few times this season, especially in Europe.

But the whole playing from the start thing constantly was pretty silly when you're trying to actually build a winning team in this league where the demands are so strong.

The great thing about Ronaldo is - to the stat geeks - he'll look perfectly fine. He'll score 25 goals a season. They'll be able to argue he's not the problem because of his numbers. But to anyone with a brain, they can see he makes them significantly worse as a team. The people that'll back Ronaldo are the same ones that think Firmino is rubbish. They fixate on stats rather than what's in front of their eyes.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

Their stats must be pretty close in giving the ball away if thats what you mean. 

they are kind of

In the league

Firmino - 2.9 average per game  (lost touches or dispossessed)

Ronaldo - 2.2

Firmino - passing 77%

Ronaldo - 85%

Then

Winning back possession

Firmino - 1.2 per game 9 (tackles and interceptions)

Ronaldo - .1 

Luckily Ronaldo is a force going forward

Ronaldo - 734 minutes  -  4 golas and 2 assists

Firmino  - 369 minutes  - 4 golas and 1 assist

• Like 1

They already had a clinical and experienced striker they can either start or use off the bench in Cavani. While he's completely overpaid at this point in his career, he has been good for them, he's useful and most importantly he has little ego. One of Cavani's best traits has always been that he'll do dirty work and is pretty selfless. 

Ronaldo, while he's still a great goalscorer, is the complete opposite of that. Everything must go through him and he's made Cavani redundant. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

Where do you find these numbers?

There are loads - trnsfrmrkt  whoscored  premeirleaguestats

1 minute ago, Boss said:

If that's accurate, Ronaldo wins the ball back once in every 10 games. Brilliant.

Yea, also, according to whoscored he hasn't won a single tackle and the PL site doesn't even list him.

I was looking at United's player stats the other day and Lingard is miles ahead of the others for distance covered and pressing. Ronaldo covers less ground than most of their centre backs barre slabhead.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12444126/man-utds-damning-stats-the-numbers-which-underline-the-problems-for-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Would love to have Cavani on our bench - quality.

Someone told me a little while back that they weren't making an offer for cavani in the summer (they had an option to extend) and we did. So they did. Dunno if it was true, but it was from someone who could know and would have no reason to lie.

• Upvote 1

The longer they have an interim coach the better. If they keep Carrick until the end of the season, that is a ludicrous decision even in the unlikely event he turns out to be a decent manager.

Yeah, they could line up a top manager for next season, but actually getting in someone between now and May is huge. Getting to know the squad on a personal level, seeing them on the training pitch, is very different to watching them from afar on the telly and pinpointing who might be a good signing. 

They are an absolute mess and from here it looks like they are writing off next season along with the beautiful mess they are currently this season. They will throw money at it, so hard to see how it won't stick eventually but going into double didgets without a title. Wonderful to see.

I'm unsure how great a manager Zidane is but he has won a lot of trophies and managed the biggest club in the world. He also has the kudos of being one of the best players of all time, so no bad thing if he turns them down. Poch and Brendan Rodgers are good, but not good enough to manage United imo, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep. 

Jurgen is the best manager in the world and Tuchel and Pep truly outstanding as well, so that is what they are up against. It's beautiful.

I was worried about them coming back for years, but I think it's over now. It's been too long; all their potential candidates have flaws. Rodgers is flaky in Europe and always prone to a fuck up. Pochettino hasn't won anything. Zidane has won things, but he's average as fuck as an actual manager.

Watching Conte going crazy on the sidelines in Spurs last match - it was obvious he was the perfect candidate. A firebrand that could motivate a bunch of prima donnas. A man known for his defensive rigidity. A proven winner. I'm so glad they thought he wasn't good enough for them. Their version of the United way is what keeps them perpetually in the shit. 

I reckon these are miles away from getting back to the top now, money to throw at it or not. Apart from Varane, who gives me the impression he’ll always be injured from when the clocks go back, their defence is terrible. 

De Gea’s been their best player but he’s still letting shots that aren’t straight at him fly in.

The entire midfields a joke and Sancho and martial are shite.

Massive rebuild needed and I doubt the right players are out there.

Zidane’s a manager who doesn’t wanna manage, Simeone won’t last playing the shite he serves up and Poch hasn’t kicked on from his early promise.

Fuck them. I hope this carries on for another 30 years.