Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Featured: That was the week that was (Nov 15-19 2021)

Monday Nov 15:

So just Robbo, Hendo and Sadio injured on international duty then. Sound. Harvey is back in light training though, which is great news. Not especially surprising as when that Gomes tit had a similar injury he was only out for around three months or so from what I remember. It’s one of those injuries that looks far worse than it is. I mean, it looks fucking horrendous, like you’ll never even walk again, but it’s nowhere near as serious as when a ligament in your knee goes ‘ping’. 

Virgil walked off when he did his ACL, and last week Ogbonna played on for 10 minutes when he did his. That’s a nine month layoff, yet Harvey’s foot was pointing the wrong way and he’s back on the training field a couple of months later. Can’t wait until he’s back on the field again as the way he started the season was frightening really. 

England won 10-0 tonight against San Marino. Firstly, these qualifiers are a waste of time for the ‘seeded’ nations. There’s no way England are ever not going to qualify for one of these tournaments now based on the groups they always get. It’s the same fucking teams all the time. Poland, San Marino, Andorra, Estonia… just a waste of time. 

I’m just looking at all of the groups now and the whole thing is an exercise in futility. The only ‘big’ teams who haven’t basically had a bye all the way to the World Cup are Italy and Portugal, who have both been forced into the playoffs after finishing below Switzerland and Serbia. England have played ten qualifying games, and for what? Everyone knew they were going through at a canter. It feels like the sole purpose of these games is for Sir Harold of Hotspur to pad his fucking stats and become England’s all time leading goalscorer.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

I wear contacts, and back in the day when smoking in pubs and clubs was still legal, I came home from a night out and my eyes were stinging like fuck. 

One of the lenses was being stubborn though and wouldn't come out. So there I stayed, blind drunk, pinching away at my eye for the next 10 minutes. 

Turns out I'd already taken it out and not realised. I had extremely sore eyes the next day. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, A_S said:

I wear contacts, and back in the day when smoking in pubs and clubs was still legal, I came home from a night out and my eyes were stinging like fuck. 

One of the lenses was being stubborn though and wouldn't come out. So there I stayed, blind drunk, pinching away at my eye for the next 10 minutes. 

Turns out I'd already taken it out and not realised. I had extremely sore eyes the next day. 

drunk-i-was-very-drunk.gif

• Upvote 3

You talk about media outlets using photos of the wrong Mendy, but somewhere out there is a Bernard Mendy up in arms that you keep mistaking him for Benjamin.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Trumo said:

You talk about media outlets using photos of the wrong Mendy, but somewhere out there is a Bernard Mendy up in arms that you keep mistaking him for Benjamin.

Fair play, I wondered if anyone would pick up on that.

Woodgate was a scout for us in Spain and Portugal. He was mates with Michael Edwards. 

He was on the Jamie carragher podcast a while back and to be honest I found it very interesting and definitely worth a listen..

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Woodgate was a scout for us in Spain and Portugal. He was mates with Michael Edwards. 

He was on the Jamie carragher podcast a while back and to be honest I found it very interesting and definitely worth a listen..

Can't be that well in or he would have got a game last season.

23 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Why are/were we employing that fucking racist? 

Jesus, people talk about Suarez... 

I saw a piece on Tavares early last week which gave the impression, although maybe a misquote, to the effect of 'Salah doesn't know my name - but he will know it on Saturday'

If he did say that, then it would be partly true, Mo will know him the next time, not by name, simply as 'that bum who made that lovely pass to Diogo'