You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) - Sat 20th Nov 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

7 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I struggle to imagine a team where Henderson is preferred to either Thiago or Fabinho.  Why would that happen?  Is he a better defender?  Absolutely not.  Does he cover more ground?  Dunno, but however much he runs it's to precious little effect as he seems to be afraid to put a tackle in, and positionally, he's terrible.  Is he going to create more?  Absolutely not.  He's slower in thought, vision and has less technique.  Thiago will always keep the ball moving, and almost always forward.  Playing Burnley used to guarantee a game where they would defend deep, bypass midfield altogether and launch the ball long to a grock who would wrestle our weaker CB to submission.  That view of Burnley is a little outdated; they do try to play a little more football than previously.  

But, either way, someone with the vision, wit and technique to play in front of a tightly packed well disciplined defence has to be better than someone whose default ball is sideways or backwards, and would panic if the defenders did rush out at him. 

So for me, it will always be Fabinho, Thiago and someone who can run at and beyond the defence to try to make space and opportunity for the forwards.  Someone like Harvey Elliot, Keita or Ox.  Whether we are playing Real Madrid or Burnley.  We might want to rest one of the two from time to time, but we don't need to swap either out to accommodate any opponent. 

Similarly for the LB position.  I don't see why you might select Robertson over Tsimikas these days, apart from the requirement to rest Tsimikas from time to time.  Robertson is a good full back, but we are less capable in defence and attack when Robertson plays. 

And don't get me started on Firmino. 

So we’ve carried Hendo and effectively won everything with 10 men?

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

You have the most over the top opinions on players bar my guy aRdja, mate. I can't give you the benefit of the doubt.

You can't imagine the immensity of the fuck I'm not giving, 3.  These are my opinions.  I'm not looking to convert anyone.  I'll let the players do that.

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

You can't imagine the immensity of the fuck I'm not giving, 3.  These are my opinions.  I'm not looking to convert anyone.  I'll let the players do that.

You might not give a fuck, but you have to know you generally read like a crazy person, stringo. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I did.  Coming back into the team earlier than anticipated from injury.  But you hang onto that, and ignore the shitshows we've seen from a fit Henderson most of the season.

Henderson’s rarely fully fit these days either, not that you’d acknowledge that. Anyway, whatever combination of a midfield we have will be fine for the remainder of the season if every opposing midfield is as redundant as Arsenal’s was yesterday. 

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Henderson’s rarely fully fit these days either, not that you’d acknowledge that. Anyway, whatever combination of a midfield we have will be fine for the remainder of the season if every opposing midfield is as redundant as Arsenal’s was yesterday. 

I'm aware Henderson has issues with injuries - I suspect every player in the team plays with some sort of physical constraint, it's a horrible situation when you think about long term impacts on their health.  Sadly, we'll play against far better organised teams than Arsenal most of the time.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

We did win yesterday didn’t we? 

Mainly because Arsenal are shite according to quite a few on here. 

We steamroll the opponent, it’s because they’re shite. We win by a narrow margin, it means we’re

shite, and the opposition were also shite. We draw or loose, we’re really shite and Jurgen has been found out. A lot of our players are shite as well. 

I’m probably old fashioned, as I find it all bit tedious.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Pete said:

We did win yesterday didn’t we? 

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

We steamroll the opponent, it’s because they’re shite. We win by a narrow margin, it means we’re

shite, and the opposition were also shite. We draw or loose, we’re really shite and Jurgen has been found out. A lot of our players are shite as well. 

Agree with you both. It's always the same posters turning out the same shit about the team and certain players. Maybe they were happy when we were finishing 5th, 6th or lower because they had a real cause to moan at instead of being 3rd in the table and already qualified for the CL knock outs? What a time to be alive indeed.

Them fucking chips I had last night from the Lucky Strike chippy must have got me thinking it was Harry Ramsden in goal for arsenal not Ramsdale! Oh well.

50 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree with you both. It's always the same posters turning out the same shit about the team and certain players. Maybe they were happy when we were finishing 5th, 6th or lower because they had a real cause to moan at instead of being 3rd in the table and already qualified for the CL knock outs? What a time to be alive indeed.

Them fucking chips I had last night from the Lucky Strike chippy must have got me thinking it was Harry Ramsden in goal for arsenal not Ramsdale! Oh well.

Lucky star surely.....

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I don't think there's too much wrong with saying that Arsenal played directly into our hands and that they were also quite bad. Our pressing was fantastic in the second half and credit to us for that but few teams will let us do that to them in terms of winning the ball back high time and time again. 

If we're looking big picture, we've been an attacking juggernaut this season. That's confirmed over many games. But otherwise, is there much to take from dominating an Arsenal team at home that were really shite? Probably not. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think there's too much wrong with saying that Arsenal played directly into our hands and that they were also quite bad. Our pressing was fantastic in the second half and credit to us for that but few teams will let us do that to them in terms of winning the ball back high time and time again. 

If we're looking big picture, we've been an attacking juggernaut this season. That's confirmed over many games. But otherwise, is there much to take from dominating an Arsenal team at home that were really shite? Probably not. 

The game showed that we are seriously good at football.

Something anyone with a working pair of eyes can see.

Once our midfield is back and fit, we'll hardly drop points, and probably lose none.

What other teams do is completely irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, m0e said:

The game showed that we are seriously good at football.

Something anyone with a working pair of eyes can see.

Once our midfield is back and fit, we'll hardly drop points, and probably lose none.

What other teams do is completely irrelevant.

I don't disagree with that for the most part. We have more flaws than City and Chelsea but on a good day, we may be better than them both given our attacking prowess and intensity. It won't have been a disgrace to lose out to any of those two in the end if that's what happens. 

I just don't think this game said very much or proved our quality. Well, it proved we can really punish teams who don't know what they're doing, maybe. That, the Porto game and the Atalanta away game last season. 

18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Just watching the re run of the game on Sky. Did that smith rowe turn up? All the hype about oedegaard and he still doesnt look more than a Championship player to me. Ben white?!

Ben white got the run around, and Oodegard didn’t have any impact at all, but I thought Smith-Rowe did ok, he certainly looked like their best player to me.

the one I was most surprised by was Partey. I’ve not really watched arsenal this season other than the first game against Brentford, but he looked awesome when we played atletico before covid landed, and he did absolutely nothing in this game apart from his long range shot when the game was already well out of their reach.

59 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

the one I was most surprised by was Partey. I’ve not really watched arsenal this season other than the first game against Brentford, but he looked awesome when we played atletico before covid landed, and he did absolutely nothing in this game apart from his long range shot when the game was already well out of their reach.

Partey turned into an Arsenal player as soon as he joined them. 

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Ben white got the run around, and Oodegard didn’t have any impact at all, but I thought Smith-Rowe did ok, he certainly looked like their best player to me.

Really? I thought smith rowe was utterly anonymous.

18 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I’m probably shite, as I find it all bit tedious.