You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) - Sat 20th Nov 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

35 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Easy win, as usual against the spineless wonders. Great to see us give them their annual spanking at anfield. 

According to MOTD, since the start of the 1992/93 season, Arsenal have only been beaten by 4 goals or more 11 times; 6 of those were at Anfield.

4 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Sometimes Fab and Thiago both play too deep and kinda neutralise the mid. Would like to see Thiago operate 20 yds in front of Fab. I like his little shoulder dip and change pace - really opens up space - more of that in the last third.

Did you notice Fabinho freed up to get forward? Was running past the forwards into their box at times.

Our midfield were really good yesterday, but Arsenal were absolutely  dire so I wouldn’t draw any massive conclusions from it.

Our biggest problem this season has been our failure to win games that we concede in so we learnt nothing new. 

Really wish we could play Arsenal every week. Or alternate them with Manchester United. 

• Upvote 1

Arteta said in his post-match interview "They had their moments, we had our moments" as if it was a game of even chances. We scored four, and but for Ramsdale, we could have had eight or nine. Meanwhile, Alisson had only one save of any note to make, tipping over for a corner late on.

Moments indeed. What game was he watching?

4 hours ago, Barnesey said:

Trent, hendo and Mo make for a fantastic right side. We need to replicate something similar and the left. fab sits behind them in the middle of course.

Henderson has been in the team recently when teams have just walked through the midfield, including Fabinho.  That doesn’t happen when Thiago is in the team. 

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The debate about"our best midfield" misses the point, in my opinion. The best midfield against  Arsenal wouldn't be the best midfield against Burnley. Klopp has built a squad that (if he can keep enough of them fit) allows him to tailor tactics according to the opponents.

This. Amazing how some people don't see this. 

Thankfully didnt have to queue for more than a minute to get in turnstile K yesterday. Maybe it pissing down with rain focused a few minds about getting in, I dont know?

Overall, a good game but I thought the first 20 minutes or so we were a bit slow at getting forward and gave arsenal a bit too much respect. They've been on a good run of playing no one of real class and maybe our defeat at West ham contributed to that?

I dont rate that Ramsden. He's been relegated in 2 successive seasons and while that's not entirely down to him, before this season I wouldnt say he was much good.

But he's certainly in a purple patch and made 4 very good saves against us. One of my mates said yes, they were good saves but maybe just at the right height? Hmm, not sure about that, I think they were quality.

In contrast, I only remember Alli having to make 2 real saves: one in the first half almost straight at him and another he tipped over the bar. Good to see that on arsenal corners, we did at least give Alli some protection unlike at West Ham.

Thiago was passing the ball around and having a good game. Fabinho likewise and stiffled virtually every arsenal threat. Ox looked desparate to score against his old club.

Jota was frustrating in the first half and hardly in the game at all. In the 2nd half he put both Ramsden and another arsenal player on their bums when they passed the ball to him in their box. He could have snatched at the ball there but showed composure to draw the attempted blocks and scoot around them to make it 2-0.

Sadio had opened the scoring with a header on 40 minutes that I think bounced and deceived Ramsden after a bit of a scramble. In truth we should already have been 2 or 3 up and would have been had it not been for the keeper. Despite him keeping the scores level for so long, I didnt get the feeling we werent winning this.

Like Jurgen said, Im getting a bit sick of players and managers trying to get Sadio booked and sent off. Legohead can get to fuck with his antics on the touchline that rightly incenced Klopp and the crowd. The way some of these oppo players go down makes you realise they wouldnt last 5 minutes in a Sunday League game.

That incident certainly racheted up the atmosphere and resulted in a quick break down the left and cross from Sadio for Mo to score the 3rd.

But talking about Mo, just what the fuck has to happen before he gets a pen, have his leg snapped off or what? Oliver's condescending wave of the arm to 'get up' was a complete joke. What's all this shit about 'force' not enough for a pen? Cresswell nearly took Hendo's knee off last week and doesnt even get a card, Mo pulled back in the box and that's legit? Fuck off.

Taki came on with just over 10 minutes to go and promptly scored. You keep wanting the lad to do well and it must be hard for players now to get a run going. In the old days, they could play in the Central League but now, it's on the bench and have to make the impact when they come on. Hopefully he'll get a run out against Porto and the goal will boost his confidence a bit.

It was good to get this result after the disappointment at West Ham followed by an international break.

I dont think anyone was below par today, Thiago, Ox and the Greek Scouser all made an impact.

MoTM is a close one between Mo and Fabinho but I think Fab deserves this because he snuffed out virtually everything from arsenal.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The debate about"our best midfield" misses the point, in my opinion. The best midfield against  Arsenal wouldn't be the best midfield against Burnley. Klopp has built a squad that (if he can keep enough of them fit) allows him to tailor tactics according to the opponents.

I struggle to imagine a team where Henderson is preferred to either Thiago or Fabinho.  Why would that happen?  Is he a better defender?  Absolutely not.  Does he cover more ground?  Dunno, but however much he runs it's to precious little effect as he seems to be afraid to put a tackle in, and positionally, he's terrible.  Is he going to create more?  Absolutely not.  He's slower in thought, vision and has less technique.  Thiago will always keep the ball moving, and almost always forward.  Playing Burnley used to guarantee a game where they would defend deep, bypass midfield altogether and launch the ball long to a grock who would wrestle our weaker CB to submission.  That view of Burnley is a little outdated; they do try to play a little more football than previously.  

But, either way, someone with the vision, wit and technique to play in front of a tightly packed well disciplined defence has to be better than someone whose default ball is sideways or backwards, and would panic if the defenders did rush out at him. 

So for me, it will always be Fabinho, Thiago and someone who can run at and beyond the defence to try to make space and opportunity for the forwards.  Someone like Harvey Elliot, Keita or Ox.  Whether we are playing Real Madrid or Burnley.  We might want to rest one of the two from time to time, but we don't need to swap either out to accommodate any opponent. 

Similarly for the LB position.  I don't see why you might select Robertson over Tsimikas these days, apart from the requirement to rest Tsimikas from time to time.  Robertson is a good full back, but we are less capable in defence and attack when Robertson plays. 

And don't get me started on Firmino. 

• Upvote 1