You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ticket prices on the trains? Whats happened?

Code

It's called inflation and everyone and his dog is taking the opportunity to reduce discounts or increase their prices. 3% inflation, me arse. My pension went up 0.5% last year and they took the triple lock off us which would have been a small cushion.

Fizzy flavoured water at Asda near ours has gone up to 60p a bottle in the last 3 weeks when it was previously 49p and before that, 35p. I darent look how much milk has gone up by.

When many people were working from home or furloughed during the pandemic, train services virtually halted as there's no point running empty trains. The companies lost shitloads of money so when they opened up again, reduced the discounted fares and \ or increased the fares.

3 hours ago, Code said:

Yes Virgin, deffo had cheaper tickets availible. 

I thought the service was very good as well.

How did they lose the contract?

Yep, I never had any gripes with the Virgin service apart from having to stand all the way to London once as couldn't reserve seats and the train from Lime Street was rammed as it was the day after an Anfield champions league game. Haven't used Avanti yet, but will know how they compare in a few weeks time. 

I think Virgin's contract was expiring and they were barred from submitting a new bid due to some issues with their employee pension scheme. 

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Maybe they should get the privately-run airlines to run the railways, they seem to have no problem getting people from A to B cheaply.

Ironically due to its potential danger,air travel is a highly regulated industry in most of Europe and those 'plane drivers' have a very strong union too. Probably shows that being successful doesnt have to mean one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

British Rail was very expensive, I used to travel between Liverpool and Bristol regularly in the late 80s and it was a joke.

Rail fares (like bus and coach fares) went through the roof between 1987 and 2017.

(House of Commons Library Briefing Paper SN06384)

55 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Yep, I never had any gripes with the Virgin service apart from having to stand all the way to London once as couldn't reserve seats and the train from Lime Street was rammed 

Careful now! Branson will be along in a minute with his Jedi mind tricks "That train wasn't rammed."

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Wrong.

It doesn't pay to constantly conflate capitalism with the EU and to act as if all the ills of capitalism are caused solely by the EU.

Er OK Angry, but er I'm not saying the ills of capitalists are solely caused by the EU. 

Got asked to go to a meeting in London once about 5 years ago and was given a days notice. The train fare was £427 return. Standard class and I was getting the 5.27am train. 

Found a couple of flights to New York cheaper than that. 

Virtual meetings must save companies millions now and keep it out of the hands of these greedy twats.

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Foolow up threads:

Petrol prices - WTF??!!

Have you seen the price of a steak? Whats happened?

To be fair, when you've privatised vast swathes of your infrastructure and services to the point that you're subsidising the same in foreign countries because they can profiteer in your own country, then it kind of gets a bit ridiculous.