You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

McCoist: Gerrard risking long term prospects by becoming Aston Villa manager

TLW

McCoist: “Are you trying to tell me Aston Villa are a bigger club than Glasgow Rangers? Of course he should (stay at Rangers).

Is that question even worth the breath of asking? Aston Villa have won 7 league titles, 7 FA Cups, the European Cup in '82, plus the UEFA Super Cup, and in 2001, the Intertoto.

Rangers, for all their domestic success, sit alongside Everton with one European Cup Winners Cup to their name. Although they have also been twice runners-up in the CWC and once in the UEFA Cup. All their domestic titles can only be measured by the quality and depth of the competition for same. That may be good in Scotland, but hold little currency elsewhere.

Staying at Rangers and winning another title means and proves absolute zero in respect of his qualifications and suitability as Liverpool manager in the future. If he does well at Villa, that still won't prove anything, but it would be whole lot better marker than anything he has done at Rangers. If he doesn't do well, in the longer term there, then it would hamper his chances at getting the Anfield job, but he's going to have to show some mettle and succeed in challenging situations to prove he has what it takes to be worthy of the opportunity, and not just taking the easier option all the time. 

McCoist has proved himself to be a good pundit and co-commentator without the whole line of clichéd patter most of the rest come out with. However, he's not only got his Rangers hat on, but the blue tinted glasses, the full kit with a rosette thrown in, with this one.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand how he'd be better served staying at Rangers (although surprised he left them now at the same time). As others have said, even winning 3 leagues on the bounce wouldn't qualify him for the job here, IMO. He always needed to go to a better league. If he's a home bird and wouldn't entertain abroad then it would have to be the PL.

The path from Villa to Liverpool though? I hope it's long as he'd have to do something pretty magical to make that jump.

I just hope when the time comes the club show more sense and make the decision based on merit. Can't imagine a more painful sight in football as watching it fall apart with Stevie at the helm. I was too young to remember Kenny as a player, and we weren't challenging for titles year in year out when he took over. Ans he has earned endless credit for everything else he has done.

For Stevie to take Klopps team and collapse it would hurt too much.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I was too young to remember Kenny as a player, and we weren't challenging for titles year in year out when he took over. 

The first go round? We were man. Golden age.

The fear is it getting a little Sounessy.

That said Rodgers got the gig on the back of a single season in the Prem - after season and a half for two Championship teams - and getting sacked..

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

No sorry, the second time around

Yea , get that.

TBH if Gerrard is still managing Villa when this deal runs out I don't think there would be many better candidates to continue on from Klopp. That job is going to be a killer to pull off and to bring someone in with no history at the club to try to keep that going would be a step backwards I think. 

42 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea , get that.

TBH if Gerrard is still managing Villa when this deal runs out I don't think there would be many better candidates to continue on from Klopp. That job is going to be a killer to pull off and to bring someone in with no history at the club to try to keep that going would be a step backwards I think. 

I don't disagree, but depends on what shape we're in when Klopp bows out.

Fucking hate thinking about Klopp leaving. Best manager in my lifetime.