You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

McCoist: Gerrard risking long term prospects by becoming Aston Villa manager

TLW

Steven Gerrard is putting at risk any hopes of becoming Liverpool manager if he leaves Rangers and joins Aston Villa according to Ally McCoist.

Dean Smith was sacked on Sunday after three years at Villa where he returned the Midlands club to the Premier League and had a win percentage just over 39% during his tenure.

Gerrard went into Rangers folklore last season by breaking the stranglehold that bitter rivals Celtic had on the Scottish Premiership guiding them to a unbeaten season and winning many managerial awards along the way.

That led to Gerrard being linked to some Premier League jobs, firstly Newcastle and in recent days the Villa post.

The momentum of Gerrard getting the job at Villa Park seems to gathering pace by the hour, however McCoist feels that he will be much better served by staying at Ibrox for the time being.

Metro (via Talksport) reported the Rangers legend as saying:

“Are you trying to tell me Aston Villa are a bigger club than Glasgow Rangers? Of course he should (stay at Rangers).

“He wants the Liverpool job, what if he goes to Aston Villa if it doesn’t work out. He’s got a better chance of success at Rangers than he does at Aston Villa if he wants the Liverpool job.

‘So he goes to Aston Villa and it doesn’t work out he’s not going to get the Liverpool job. He could stay at Rangers, retain the league, straight into the Champions League, that’s great success and a better chance of the Liverpool job.”

image.png

Gerrard has regularly said that managing Liverpool is his dream job however he has an awful lot to prove to even be considered for the job once Jurgen Klopp departs.

He is even comfortable in the knowledge that it may never come his way.

“Liverpool is my club. I had a great journey. Is it a dream for me to one day be the Liverpool manager? Yes, it is, but not yet and who's to say I'll ever be good enough. There's a lot of managers on this planet, we need to respect Jurgen first and foremost."

Gerrard will be looking to follow the footsteps of his former manager in Brendan Rodgers who after coming down from a very successful reign at Celtic, has turned Leicester into a consistent top six club while also challenging for domestic trophies.

Villa have often been referred to as the ‘sleeping giant’ of the Premier League, a club who have looked really promising at certain periods of a season, only to fail when the pressure is at its highest.

So could the man who haunted the Claret and Blue so many times in his playing days (13 goals in 27 games across all competitions) be their ultimate saviour?

Time will tell.

View full article

Some truth to that but nothing he did at Rangers(bar something miraculous  in Europe) would have been proof he could step up after Klopp. If he gets Villa into Europe or wins a cup he will have shown something. Got some good players there to work with. Reckon he needs to send Watkins over in a swap for Origi and convince the Villa board than Nabby Keita would solve many issues they have. 

I'm of the opposite view to Ally, I think Gerrard going to Villa first and how he fares there enhances any chance of him becoming Liverpool manager.

We've been down the road of having a Liverpool midfield legend coming from being in charge of Rangers with no other managerial experience and it wasn't a pleasant memory  

• Like 2

I think Stevie's got nothing to gain and everything to lose going to Villa, if he fails to massively improve them he will rule himself out of any bigger job forever, if he improves them but doesn't win something and or qualify for the cl, he will always be just another decent English manager. To get a top job he needs to win league titles, Villa won't do that imho.

11 minutes ago, DiddisSillyRun said:

I think Stevie's got nothing to gain and everything to lose going to Villa, if he fails to massively improve them he will rule himself out of any bigger job forever, if he improves them but doesn't win something and or qualify for the cl, he will always be just another decent English manager. To get a top job he needs to win league titles, Villa won't do that imho.

Totally disagree. Racking up meaningless titles in Scotland is less impressive than say getting Villa into Europe or a domestic cup win. It's a great move for him and a brave one too. Even if he fails he will still get plenty of offers afterwards because of who he is. I think he will do well there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Totally disagree. Racking up meaningless titles in Scotland is less impressive than say getting Villa into Europe or a domestic cup win. It's a great move for him and a brave one too. Even if he fails he will still get plenty of offers afterwards because of who he is. I think he will do well there.

Pathetic statement 

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You just wont accept how meaningless Scottish football has become. It's a harsh fact but it wasnt me that made it so. The PL and expansion of the CL has done for Scottish football.

It's not meaningless for fans of Scottish clubs, which is a point you keep missing. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It's not meaningless for fans of Scottish clubs, which is a point you keep missing. 

Then you're making a different point, mate. Everyone's passions mean everything to them. No-one's saying Scottish football is meaningless because the fans of those clubs are more or less passionate. It just doesn't mean that immediately transcends into a big deal on a macro level. 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Then you're making a different point, mate. Everyone's passions mean everything to them. No-one's saying Scottish football is meaningless because the fans of those clubs are more or less passionate. It just doesn't mean that immediately transcends into a big deal on a macro level. 

I'm not making a different point. He's calling it meaningless titles, I'm saying it isn't. 

1 hour ago, DiddisSillyRun said:

By titles you mean the PL or a top league? Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Utd have managers who have not won the PL, Arteta’s has won nothing although he was Fraudiolas apprentice. This will test Gerrard as he will have money to spend and a decent expensively assembled squad already. As long as it doesn’t affect us good luck to him.

1 hour ago, DiddisSillyRun said:

Is an SPL title enough?

I think Villa is a risky but needed middle step in his development, I'd like to see him go abroad after Villa and see how he does there. Staying at Rangers would have been treading water.

Great move for Gerrard. He’s done an absolute brilliant job at Rangers but at the same time he knows he needs to forbid himself in England to be in the reckoning for one of the big jobs here.

Think Villa’s a good move for him personally, big stadium, a club with history and tradition, a very good squad and ambitious owners.

Of course it's a risk. Most things in life worth having involve some element of risk.

Truly this statement sums McCoist up perfectly; a gifted striker who was happy to be a big fish in the little pond of Scottish football, never having the bottle to test himself at a higher level, despite possessing all of the required attributes.

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Of course it's a risk. Most things in life worth having involve some element of risk.

Truly this statement sums McCoist up perfectly; a gifted striker who was happy to be a big fish in the little pond of Scottish football, never having the bottle to test himself at a higher level, despite possessing all of the required attributes.

He had a spell at Sunderland when he was younger but couldnt hit a barn door even in the then 2nd Division. Returned to Scotland and rangers.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Or he was a rangers fan living out his boyhood dream? You never know, he might have been happy where he was? 

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

He had a spell at Sunderland when he was younger but couldnt hit a barn door even in the then 2nd Division. Returned to Scotland and rangers.

Yes, I know he was briefly at Sunderland when he was a teenager. Doesn't really have any bearing on my point, but okay.

6 hours ago, Stickman said:

I'm of the opposite view to Ally, I think Gerrard going to Villa first and how he fares there enhances any chance of him becoming Liverpool manager.

We've been down the road of having a Liverpool midfield legend coming from being in charge of Rangers with no other managerial experience and it wasn't a pleasant memory  

Agreed. The Villa job is almost like the practical element of the recruitment process for coming to us.

27 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Great move for Gerrard. He’s done an absolute brilliant job at Rangers but at the same time he knows he needs to forbid himself in England to be in the reckoning for one of the big jobs here.

Think Villa’s a good move for him personally, big stadium, a club with history and tradition, a very good squad and ambitious owners.

Been talking about this in work, they were a very good side last season and deserved the title but Celtic (Lennon) imploded which helped, plus St Johnstone won more domestically than them last season. Ok a fair run in the Europa but 1 piece of silverware at glasgow r*ngers in 3 and a half years (signing about 60 players and all) is not a 'superb' job for them.  A fair number of their fans wanted him sacked just over 12 months ago.