You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Think this is spot on.

You can't limit the field to managers who have won league titles because then all you do is ensure that you're picking the leftovers of other clubs and/or managers who won the title in a one- or two-team league.

You have to say "who has done the best with the resources they've had?" So if a manager has been given roughly the 15th-best squad for several years and yet always manages to finish top four, then I wouldn't mind him in the mix for the Liverpool job. Because odds are we can give him the 2nd-4th best squad in the league and he might win it (given that we're rarely going to have the best squad in the league, given the finances at 3, possibly four now, of the other clubs).

Following that logic, Moyes deserved the hot-seat at United for massively overachieving with Everton. However, when you look at it objectively, it was obviously a terrible appointment from the start. It's the same thing when you sign a player from a midtable club, especially if they've been there for a long time. That's why I'd never want us to sign James Ward Prowse. Doesn't have the mentality of a Liverpool player. He's too accustomed to losing. Moyes had an also-rans mentality. Rodgers has it to a certain extent. Always lowering expectations and making excuses. A manager like that won't be successful at a big club. We need proven winners. 

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Following that logic, Moyes deserved the hot-seat at United for massively overachieving with Everton. However, when you look at it objectively, it was obviously a terrible appointment from the start. It's the same thing when you sign a player from a midtable club, especially if they've been there for a long time. That's why I'd never want us to sign James Ward Prowse. Doesn't have the mentality of a Liverpool player. He's too accustomed to losing. Moyes had an also-rans mentality. Rodgers has it to a certain extent. Always lowering expectations and making excuses. A manager like that won't be successful at a big club. We need proven winners. 

Moyes was a safe pair of hands who played boring football. The guy who gets the best out of his teams and has them overachieving also obviously has to play good football or have an overwhelmingly intense style of play to qualify for a big club. You need at least 2 out of 3. Pedigree, style of play, do you get the best out of players. Moyes had maybe one of the three, debatably. 

10 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I'm not Evan's biggest fan but I'd hardly call the period 94-98 the wilderness years

Maybe call the undisciplined years.

That team should have won so much more.

David (I spend too much time on console games)James.

Ruddock?

For me they basically took the piss out of Evans.

6 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Ruddock?

That team wasn't as good as utd's. 

Pains me to say it, but they just weren't. 

David James was terrible, they had Schmeichel. 

Ruddock and Julian dicks in the back 4. Come on. Our midfield was badly aging, but our forward line was always good, especially when fowler came in. But the spine of the team was no where near utd's. Unfortunately 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Ruddock and Julian dicks in the back 4. Come on. Our midfield was badly aging, but our forward line was always good, especially when fowler came in. But the spine of the team was no where near utd's. Unfortunately 

Ha ha, forgot about Dicks.

10 hours ago, Boss said:

Moyes biggest mistake when coming into united was wanting his whole team and throwing away everything that was there. He brought his team in, forcing out the likes of muelensteen and phelan. This was compounded with the change of CEO (not Moyes doing obviously). We'll never know how Moyes could have done had he come in to a stable team, but it absolutely won't have helped him thinking Everton was the same as man united. It's why we need to change as little as possible when klopp goes. As I said before, I hate the cunts in Boston, but I'm sure they're very focused on continuity for when klopp leaves to make any transition as likely to work as possible. 

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Ruddock?

Oh without a doubt and Evans didnt have the strength to keep them in line.

Houllier transformed the club when he came In.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Wasnt dicks the souness era?

Every single player utd got it,we could have bought.

12 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You can't limit the field to managers who have won league titles because then all you do is ensure that you're picking the leftovers of other clubs and/or managers who won the title in a one- or two-team league.

Literally nobody recommended limiting the field in that way.

But I certainly wouldn't be selecting a manager on the basis of a Scottish or Norwegian league title, either. 

12 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Incidentally, who's the last league-winning or generally successful Premier League manager who's never worked outside Britain?

Ferguson?

If you're talking about other English managers, then the last English manager to win the league in England is Howard Wilkinson (Leeds 1992). For the FA Cup, it's Harry Redknapp (Portsmouth 2008). For the League Cup, it's Steve McClaren (Middlesbrough 2004), although he has worked on the continent, so for English managers you have to go back to Brian Little (Villa 1996) although he has managed in the Channel Islands. Being specific about the British mainland then, I guess it's our very own Roy Evans when he won the trophy in 1995. With all of these, it's arguable as to whether or not they were 'generally successful' so you have to go back even further to the likes of Joe Fagan, Sir Bob Paisley, Ron Saunders and Brian Clough (Howard Kendall and Ron Atkinson were also trophy winners in the 80s but both managed in Spain too).

The Premier League has been good for English managers' bank balances, but trophy and title success has been rare to non-existent so the LMA in particular have been at pains to redefine the meaning of the word 'successful'.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Literally nobody recommended limiting the field in that way.

But I certainly wouldn't be selecting a manager on the basis of a Scottish or Norwegian league title, either. 

Quite a few people have suggested we should be going for a proven manager and the very top level tbf.

I'd imagine this to be quite a short list

No one has suggested the time is right for gerrard here now.

We need to see how gets on at villa.

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Remember laughing when we "stole" Hysen"

Think they got Pallister, turned out well for us!

Tbf it took a good few years for palister to come good at utd.

Utd bought the likes of Keane and schmeichel and we bought nigel clough and David James.

But again that was the souness era.

11 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Dalglish says in his book that he wanted Pallister and Gascoigne but used all the budget up by bringing Rush back from Juve instead. 

Reading between the lines I reckon he regretted doing that. 

We were heavily linked with mabbutt at one point aswell.

Pallister was a seen as a joke at utd for a few years and he only really settled after about 2 years.

At that time we didnt have the luxury of letting players bed in

I thought we had a look at gazza but his demands were ridiculous..think he wanted a helicopter and all sorts.

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Tbf it took a good few years for palister to come good at utd.

Utd bought the likes of Keane and schmeichel and we bought nigel clough and David James.

But again that was the souness era.

Paul Stewart was signed on the back of his one good game for Spurs in that FA cup final. 

Mark Walters. An absolute load of fucking shite who was always garbage. 

christ, if ever there’s a blueprint on how to fuck up a great institution, the signings from Kenny’s end days right up to Klopp taking over is the route to follow. Hope the mancs continue in this vein of copying everything we do and claiming it as their own.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

We were heavily linked with mabbutt at one point aswell.

Pallister was a seen as a joke at utd for a few years and he only really settled after about 2 years.

At that time we didnt have the luxury of letting players bed in

I thought we had a look at gazza but his demands were ridiculous..think he wanted a helicopter and all sorts.

We couldn’t get the money together to pay what Newcastle wanted. Then at the last minute we smashed a few piggy banks and phoned him to tell him we could bring him in only for his agent saying he’d just signed for Spurs. Spurs wouldn’t let him back out and he smashed the hotel room up. Hed kept on bringing ridiculous demands to Spurs as he wasn’t that arsed going to them. 

The stories now morphed into how it was Ferguson who called him and could have saved his career. Despite Fergie hanging on by his fingernails and Spurs being a better better side than the joke utd were at the time. 

Amazing how history changes things.

4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Paul Stewart was signed on the back of his one good game for Spurs in that FA cup final. 

Mark Walters. An absolute load of fucking shite who was always garbage. 

christ, if ever there’s a blueprint on how to fuck up a great institution, the signings from Kenny’s end days right up to Klopp taking over is the route to follow. Hope the mancs continue in this vein of copying everything we do and claiming it as their own.

Souness bought Walters and Stewart.

I can't remember his first couple of seasons but I always thought Pallister in the mid 90's was a superb centre-half. Very under-rated. Compare him to some of the shite we had back then. Ruddock fucking Neil Ruddock, that twat playing for us less than 10 years since we had Lawrenson and Hansen at the back. Thank god we've got 4 top centre backs now. 

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

We couldn’t get the money together to pay what Newcastle wanted. Then at the last minute we smashed a few piggy banks and phoned him to tell him we could bring him in only for his agent saying he’d just signed for Spurs. Spurs wouldn’t let him back out and he smashed the hotel room up. Hed kept on bringing ridiculous demands to Spurs as he wasn’t that arsed going to them. 

The stories now morphed into how it was Ferguson who called him and could have saved his career. Despite Fergie hanging on by his fingernails and Spurs being a better better side than the joke utd were at the time. 

Amazing how history changes things.

I heard it was a sunbed for his sister than clinched the deal