You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

It's not dumb when the comparison is experience wise in basically their first managerial roles. The point being Dortmund saw Jurgen's potential, similarly, Villa the same with Stevie.

Correct, you didnt introduce Jurgen as an example, I did. See above why I used Jurgen's first managerial role and Stevie's.

If you're going to stipulate any future Liverpool manager has to have won a couple of league titles, it's going to severely limit future candidates.

Also, that criteria would slant the opportunities to some potential managers who'd managed at virtual nailed on title winners in say the Bundesliga being ex Bayern Serie A being ex Juve.

Personally, I dont think the next or future Liverpool manager has to have won a title or 2 to be considered for the role. Plus point, yes, necessary, no, I dont think so.

Not sure I agree Jurgen wouldnt have got the job here if he hadnt won the Bundesliga.

Didn't say Gerrard had to win a league title. He's not going to do that at Villa, anyway. Even if he does a great job there. 

But I've honestly no idea why we're so obsessed with the idea of bringing him back as a manager. Maybe he'll justify doing so, though the odds are against it. One way or another, I'm happy to remember him as a great player and to hire managers on the basis of merit rather than sentiment. 

13 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

we shouldnt have hired kenny,paisley, fagan or houllier using that argument. 

Different times, different club culture. But your kind of argument would favour the likes of Lijnders over Gerrard, in any case. Gerrard is a closer equivalent to he-who-shall-not-be-named-in-a-managerial-capacity... 

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

Different times, different club culture. But your kind of argument would favour the likes of Lijnders over Gerrard, in any case. Gerrard is a closer equivalent to he-who-shall-not-be-named-in-a-managerial-capacity... 

I'm not sure what difference the era makes?

For 20 odd years we made consistently the right choice concerning the manager.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

They have European success?

Isnt that the prerequisite now?

And the houllier appointment was hardly a completely different era.

We were an undisciplined rabble around the turn of the millennium. Houllier made sense. 

We're now recent domestic and European champions and still one of the top sides in Europe. We don't need our own Ole or Frank. 

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

We were an undisciplined rabble around the turn of the millennium. Houllier made sense. 

We're now recent domestic and European champions and still one of the top sides in Europe. We don't need our own Ole or Frank. 

It was still a gamble and certainly not a cert that he would drag the club into the 21st century.

No one is saying we want a soljaskaar. 

They are saying lets see how he does at villa and not writing him off 3 years into his career.

18 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He most definitely was.

If was seen as an one of the 2 top managers in the world you would have had the likes of psg,Barca and real after him.

I'm not disparaging him in the slightest.

He was massively rated and had done tremendously well at Dortmund but no could say with certainly he could do what he has done here.

It's in the last 3 years he was become or rated at one of the world's best

Even as recently as 3 years ago there was the.. he hasn't won anything yet at liverpool argument. 

Just now, Arniepie said:

Right now klopp,tuchel and Guardiola are rightly viewed as the best managers in the world.

5 years ago klopp was probally still seen in the category below where he had to go to a European giant and make it,which he did.

You originally said he wasn't viewed as one of the top managers in the world. Then after being challenged on that  you changed it to not being one of the top 2 managers in the world which was probably correct at the time. The fact is that he been rated as one of the best managers in the world for at least 10 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

You originally said he wasn't viewed as one of the top managers in the world. Then after being challenged on that  you changed it to not being one of the top 2 managers in the world which was probably correct at the time. The fact is that he been rated as one of the best managers in the world for at least 10 years.

I was replying to the post which said we should go after the top 2 coaches in the world.

Apologies if it wasnt clear.

His stock has risen considerably over the last 4 years and rightly so.

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

What a buzz it was when Klopp was confirmed as manager and that first press conference and the year that followed, just the aura and charisma of the man. We probably all take him for granted a bit now. What a man though. 

Yep.