You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

Villa have a fucking massive squad already from the looks of things. Some good players in there, but Smith hadn't been able to make it work without Grealish.

Of course if Stevie wants to transplant the beating heart of our League Cup side to Villa Park, I'm sure we can find a way to make that happen.

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He can say that to be nice. The reality is; he doesn't.

Lampard managed Derby, Pep managed Barca B, Zidane Real Madrid B, Pirlo, a Juve youth team before managing Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid and Juve. They didn't have to prove shit. Neither does Gerrard. Gerrard will be wasting his time at Villa. 

Half of those managers are shite, and 3 quarters of them are out of work.

17 minutes ago, m0e said:

Half of those managers are shite, and 3 quarters of them are out of work.

As usual, you've managed to miss the point. For your information, the point was he could get a way bigger job right away because of his status as a player. No need to waste his time at a club like Villa, potentially crash and burn and not get a bigger job down the line because of that. Clear? Happy to help as always, mate.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

As usual, you've managed to miss the point. For your information, the point was he could get a way bigger job right away because of his status as a player. No need to waste his time at a club like Villa, potentially crash and burn and not get a bigger job down the line because of that. Clear? Happy to help as always, mate.

So, let me get this right.

There is no point "wasting time" on his own managerial development?

That he may as well just walk into a big job now... you know... because he can?

And that crashing and burning at said big job - like the brilliant examples you gave with Lampard and Pirlo - would be better?

Alllllrighty then

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

So, let me get this right.

There is no point "wasting time" on his development through more experience?

That he may as well just walk into a big job, you know... because he can?

And that crashing and burning at said big job - like the brilliant examples you have of Lampard and Pirlo - would be better?

Alllllrighty then

It's an opinion of mine, mate. A little like that opinion of mine that we weren't great at the back or at managing games which you also made  fun of, and what do you know, there's maybe some truth to it.

I gave you the reasons as to why I think it's a bad move, it's pretty clear. One, if you fail at Villa, it's unlikely you fail upwards to a bigger team after. Two, players of his reputation have easily gotten massive jobs right off the bat. Pretty simple. Very easy to understand. Maybe it will work for him, maybe not. I don't like it for him. Get over it.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's an opinion of mine, mate. A little like that opinion of mine that we weren't great at the back or at managing games which you also made of fun of, and what do you know, there's maybe some truth to it.

I gave you the reasons as to why I think it's a bad move, it's pretty clear. One, if you fail at Villa, it's unlikely you fail upwards to a bigger team after. Two, players of his reputation have easily gotten massive jobs right off the bat. Pretty simple. Very easy to understand. Maybe it will work for him, maybe not. I don't like it for him. Get over it.

Get over it?

What a tit you are!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not this one he couldn't.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

players of his reputation have easily gotten massive jobs right off the bat. Pretty simple. Very easy to understand. 

Not this one he wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

As a Liverpool supporter the burning issue at some stage will be who takes over after Klopp. And if we’re gonna have any hopes of maintaining the levels we’ve seen over the last years we’ll need to get in one of the very best managers in the world. 

If Gerrard is on course to developing into that category I have no idea what so ever. But if he is he should be able to lift Villa a level or two. And if not we should definately stay well clear.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

we’ll need to get in one of the very best managers in the world. 

I think this is part of the fallacy. United tried it. Hell, Everton have tried it.

Some guy with a CV is the last thing that will work here.

Managing Liverpool post Klopp will be about far more than tactics.

Most of it will be continuing to turn doubters into believers.

And continuing to get more out of a team than the sum of the individuals.

15 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Which massive job do you think he could have got right away?

10 minutes ago, Moo said:

Which massive job do you think he could have got right away?

How should I know?

My main thing is he's gone to a club where it's gonna be difficult to succeed and the shine will probably come off him. He should've stayed at Rangers until something bigger opens up, in England, abroad, whatever. In fact, he probably could have stayed there until Klopp leaves and we all know he'd probably get the job. 

All he has to do at Villa is get them punching above their weight for a couple of seasons. Top 8 and he's doing well. Doubt he will achieve it this season but if he keeps them up (he will) and then finishes in the top 8 for two seasons then he's doing a good job.