You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

The Mings situation is weird - club captain, England regular, now shut out - but even weirder is that it's practically identical to Coady's situation at Wolves.

Not arsed really though, I don't particularly want Gerrard as our manager, and I don't think there's that many people in the "Give it Steveh" camp.

Agree. At least I would hope so, it’s after all basically the same way of thinking we’ve been ridiculing the red mancs for the last few years.

Gerrard is neither the right or wrong next Liverpool manager because the job isn't available. By the time it is, he may be one of the outstanding candidates. If he's not, he won't get the job. I don't know why people get so hung up about it. And the same people usually make the proclamation it should be pep ljinders, despite him failing badly at his only management role. Through the entirety of football the game has been littered with number 2s who can't make it as the boss. Paisley is one of the very few exceptions to this at the top of the game and at the same club in this country. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

I’m glad he’s failing tbh, it fucking stinks of a Souness like appointment when Klopp goes, I don’t want him anywhere near the club as a manager so him struggling at Villa means he won’t get the job here….

I think it’s nailed on that Pep Ljinders succeeds Klopp.

I sincerely hope not. Howard Kendall to Colin Harvey?

17 hours ago, Strontium said:

The Mings situation is weird - club captain, England regular, now shut out - but even weirder is that it's practically identical to Coady's situation at Wolves.

Not arsed really though, I don't particularly want Gerrard as our manager, and I don't think there's that many people in the "Give it Steveh" camp.

How is it weird, he’s shite?

• Upvote 1

I thought it was a strange move to take the Villa job at the time he did as he is on a hiding to nothing by managing a club who have had actual trophy winning success but are miles off that level at the moment. The handling of the expectation at Villa and their underperformers is his biggest test. I really wish him well and hope he gets enough time to sort some things out.

I thought he done well at Rangers & at at Villa last season. To say he's failing after the first game of this season is ridiculous.

I'm in no hurry for him to be Liverpool manager but people on here seem to have some bad will towards him these days. Probably because Villa are twats like but I think he had to move from Scotland to England at some point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

While never doubting what a great player he was I can imagine he’s pretty unlikeable and he comes across as arrogant. He’ll say the right things about not wanting to replace Klopp but don’t doubt he’d snap their hands off.

Theres the stories you hear from the likes of Crouch guffawing on about how Gerrard and Carragher were ‘ruthless’ when it came to new players when they were the top dogs at Liverpool. Firing the ball in at them and ‘testing’ them etc and how some of the players would wilt. He seemed to think it was a good thing but I never got on board with all that. Sounded like bullying and counter productive as far as I’m concerned.

Like others have said, it will also be the Keane type situation where he’s better than the players he manages and can’t understand why they can’t do what he’s asking. Didn’t he also want Hodgson? That should set alarm bells ringing.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Mook said:

I thought he done well at Rangers & at at Villa last season. To say he's failing after the first game of this season is ridiculous.

I'm in no hurry for him to be Liverpool manager but people on here seem to have some bad will towards him these days. Probably because Villa are twats like but I think he had to move from Scotland to England at some point.

He hasn't done well at Villa.

Yeah, seemed weird so took a quick look.

Gerrard took villa up the table, only 2 places mind, but still... They really fell off toward the end of the season and I think he has a tough job on to bring it back on track, might be too much for him.

Neville was brought in because the club had gone from a 4th place finish to 8th, and left the club with them in 15th. Those win stats seem to include the cup, with 2 leg games against awful sides with nowhere near the resources. 

Mings is a shite defender so he’s spot on with that analysis. However, quite a few people say Beale was his brains behind the scenes and with him gone it will be interesting to see if that rings true. I personally would never want Stevie as our manager, I just don’t see anything there that makes me think he has the tactical nous needed at the very top level and I would hate to see his legacy tarnished. He also wanted Curbishley to become manager before Rafa if I remember rightly? IMO Pep is being groomed to take over from JK.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought it was a strange move to take the Villa job at the time he did as he is on a hiding to nothing by managing a club who have had actual trophy winning success but are miles off that level at the moment. The handling of the expectation at Villa and their underperformers is his biggest test. I really wish him well and hope he gets enough time to sort some things out.

I thought he may have gone abroad bit I can see why he took the job.He is ambitious and wanted to prove himself in the prem.

However they do have a particular thick fan base who seem to think they have a right to be more successful than they actually are.

Felt he should stayed longer at Rangers compete for the league on an annual basis and more importantly get experience of managing in Europe .The  prem jobs would have come anyway if he was doing well in Scotland and because of his name .I don’t think FSG will give him Liverpool job think it’s going to be Ljinders 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I don't know 1 person who thinks he is anywhere near ready for the Liverpool job.

If he does turn things round at Villa it and maybe go somewhere else,then a few years down the line,assess it then.

I think even gerrard himself knows the talk is ridiculous but there seems to be an appetite in writing off a new manager a few years into his career.

Couple of thoughts

1. I really want him to be good enough to get the Liverpool job at some point.

2. I think based upon certain interactions he struggles with the fact he's working with players who aren't as good as who he used to play with

3. It's the first game of the season

4. Its early days in his managerial career 

2 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

Felt he should stayed longer at Rangers compete for the league on an annual basis and more importantly get experience of managing in Europe .The  prem jobs would have come anyway if he was doing well in Scotland and because of his name .I don’t think FSG will give him Liverpool job think it’s going to be Ljinders 

They won't give him the job because he isn't ready.

I'm fairly sure both parties know that.

3 hours ago, Code said:

How is it weird, he’s shite?

Yes, I'm aware that anyone who doesn't play for Liverpool is shite. It wasn't a scout report, just an observation that key players at club and international level in the same position have been ostracised in identical circumstances at two different midlands outfits.

51 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

He hasn't done well at Villa.

He kept them up/improved them & now they have something to build on this season. I think a manager needs 12 months before you can start to judge them (unless it's a complete disaster from the off).

He was on a hiding to nothing with Rangers - as Celtic managers often are too - as any success is probably a bit unfairly derided.  

Agree that looking at getting promotion with a Championship side should have been his next job. 

He's a born winner and from what I read about him with Rangers he seems open to delegating and taking on the advice of others. Hopefully he'll turn things around with Villa, though modern footballers are often a nest of vipers so things might already be beyond him. 

47 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Manc source and motivation notwithstanding... 

Stats like that are useless without any context.

Why would the media hide the form of two teams in different countries, at different times, in two completely different sets of circumstances? A bizarre tweet from some manc rat.

• Upvote 3