You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

On the bit in bold, this is why I struggle to see how villa helps Gerrard. I don't know what represents success and if that success is even possible. Last financial year villa were turning over less than Burnley. Frankly I think success is breaking in to the top 8, but I am not sure that will be enough to be seen as a good job. Because historically villa were a big club, there's an assumption he can somehow perform miracles and success is fighting for top 4. Most clubs measure their manager on league position, so like most teams i dont think he will prioritise domestic cups. Personally I think unless he does perform miracles, he's going to find it hard to leave there as a success - and I've no idea what his next jump should be if there's to be one before Liverpool. 

He's going there under the guise of learning and taking another step. Those aren't tangible things, though. If he's crap at Villa, it may not matter how much he's theoretically learned because he may not get a better job after. That's the issue. And it's not easy succeeding at Villa because as you said, success is hard to define.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, m0e said:

I can't see him taking a year out.

It'll be exactly like Kenny and Shakly, who almost instantly regretted resigning.

Daily football with his group of players... that's in his blood.

I'm pretty sure that at the time of his last contract extension he said (or someone said he said) that he had promised his wife that he would take a year off at the end of his last contract. If true, then that's not the kind of promise you break twice. 

I honestly dont see Jurgen taking a year sabatical and then coming back to the club. I think that's very wishful thinking. Obviously I cant speak for Jurgen but he seemed a very focused guy for want of a better description.

I think he decides to stay at Liverpool, without a break for a few more years or, decides he's done his stint and spends some time away from the game.

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think he will end his contract here take a year off then manage Germany.

I don't see how he'd be interested in the German job.

Absolutely nothing about that type of work seems to interest him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aws said:

I'm pretty sure that at the time of his last contract extension he said (or someone said he said) that he had promised his wife that he would take a year off at the end of his last contract. If true, then that's not the kind of promise you break twice. 

Have you got any links to that?

55 minutes ago, m0e said:

Have you got any links to that?

44 minutes ago, aws said:

Sorry no. It's just something I recall hearing. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-contract-2024-sabbatical-epl-a9675556.html

Jurgen Klopp has admitted that he may not return to management after his Liverpool contract expires in 2024. 

The German signed a new five-year contract last year but plans to take a sabbatical at its conclusion and will only return if he “misses football” during his time off.

“I’ll take a year off and ask myself if I miss football,” he said in an interview with Sportbuzzer. “If I say no, then that will be the end of coach Jurgen Klopp

“If one day I am no longer a coach, there is one thing I will not miss: the brutal tension immediately before the game.”

Klopp, who joined Liverpool in 2015, followed Champions League victory in 2019 by ending the club’s 30-year title drought last season, cementing himself as one of Europe’s great modern managers.

• Upvote 2

I think he might sign for another three years taking him up to his 60th birthday. Guardiola is supposed to be planning to leave City at the end of next season, and with him gone there could be a chance they’ll be a bit less competitive and Klopp might fancy his chances of adding to his trophy haul.

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-contract-2024-sabbatical-epl-a9675556.html

Jurgen Klopp has admitted that he may not return to management after his Liverpool contract expires in 2024. 

The German signed a new five-year contract last year but plans to take a sabbatical at its conclusion and will only return if he “misses football” during his time off.

“I’ll take a year off and ask myself if I miss football,” he said in an interview with Sportbuzzer. “If I say no, then that will be the end of coach Jurgen Klopp

“If one day I am no longer a coach, there is one thing I will not miss: the brutal tension immediately before the game.”

Klopp, who joined Liverpool in 2015, followed Champions League victory in 2019 by ending the club’s 30-year title drought last season, cementing himself as one of Europe’s great modern managers.

Well, that's that then.

8 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yep. Of course tactics play a part, but I don’t think many would argue Alex Ferguson was the greatest tactical mind of his generation, and I’d argue that they’re secondary to how players perceive you.

For some managers, that’s exclusive to one club - I’m not convinced you could slot Zidane in at Chelsea and have him win three European Cups - and others are aided further by a combination of mystique and money (Mourinho and Guardiola, who was fortunate to have inherited an incredible generation of players at Barca), but you rarely see a previously gilded manager who has been down in the dumps for years suddenly recapture his former glory.

I would. Ferguson's brilliance came from man management,not tactical knowhow. Hence why their European record was underwhelming considering their domestic dominance.

23 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I would. Ferguson's brilliance came from man management,not tactical knowhow. Hence why their European record was underwhelming considering their domestic dominance.

No, I agree. That was just poorly written on my part. Should have been something like “suggest” rather than “argue”.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I remember when Graham Potter was anointed the next great English manager.

So far young Stevie has gained 7 points on BHA - tonked them home and away and has a far more dangerous side going forward.

Gerrard is easily the most promising English manager in the game now. No contest.

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I remember when Graham Potter was anointed the next great English manager.

So far young Stevie has gained 7 points on BHA - tonked them home and away and has a far more dangerous side going forward.

Just compare their players. Gerrard already had a better squad to begin with and he added Coutinho and Digne. whereas Brighton players are championship-level and it got weakened further in Jan. 

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

Just compare their players. Gerrard already had a better squad to begin with and he added Coutinho and Digne. whereas Brighton players are championship-level and it got weakened further in Jan. 

Gerrard signed them both. They weren't there before. It's one of the key parts of management,successful transfers. 

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

Villa are championship players except for a couple of players brought in the last 2 windows. Potter has had years to stop Brighton being a championship side. He's in his 3rd year and his players still can't score. 

49 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Even if I agreed, that's not the greatest endorsement as it stands.

I'd also add British to that but again that's not much better as it is. That said,Gerrard will be a top level manager one day soon. I just can't see him not being one with his career and the people who have mentored him during and after.

39 minutes ago, m0e said:

Neither of them will be managing one of the big clubs anytime soon, if that's what this is all about.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gerrard gets a job too early at a club too big for where he is in his development.

Maybe in 2 or 3 years.