You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

43 minutes ago, Boss said:

I wouldn't be opposed to it if he was the best option available at the time. What are your thoughts? You know him better than me based on his time at Celtic. Obviously, if he goes to the mancs then no chance. My number one choice is Tuchel - same as you.

He did a great job at Celtic (tbh r*ngers were in a shit state when he took over anyway) but left like a cunt when he was a few months away from another treble. 

he's doing a good job at Leicester, if he hadn't been here before I'd have him up there as a candidate but fuck having him back. The guys a prize dick. 

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Does anyone think what Gerrard did at Rangers is more impressive than all that Rodgers did at Celtic?

Cuz I do.

No. Not at all. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, although Rodgers dominated for three years. Gerrard had a single season. 

Gerrard won the league, St Johnstone won both domestic cups. Rodgers won everything domestically available in all his time at Celtic. 

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Gerrard won the league, St Johnstone won both domestic cups. Rodgers won everything domestically available in all his time at Celtic. 

I've accomplished nothing in my life and I've still done more impressive stuff than Rodgers winning domestic cups at Celtic.

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

'BRodge' wow

It wasn't. 

It was. Celtic had it easy for years and Gerrard and his work changed the balance of power dramatically. He used his contacts to wheel and deal to make it happen and that's part of skill of the job. His brand of football may have been shit but he got the job done. I reckon it wont be as easy for the new appointee though.

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It was. Celtic had it easy for years and Gerrard and his work changed the balance of power dramatically. He used his contacts to wheel and deal to make it happen and that's part of skill of the job. His brand of football may have been shit but he got the job done. I reckon it wont be as easy for the new appointee though.

It wasn't. 1 title in 3 and a half years against 2 titles, 2 scottish cups and 3 league cups (would have won another title and scottish cup if he'd held on a couple more months) is not better. 

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

Gerrard won one trophy in three years after signing 60 players. Rodgers won seven trophies in the same timeframe, arguably eight, because he was out of sight in the league when he left. How is this even being argued? 

Because one is an accomplishment no one had done in over a decade and the other was the status quo.

As has been said - Rodgers was not brought to Celtic to win League Cups - he failed, by any definition, to move Celtic up the notch that was expected.

Gerrard took a side that had won the square root of fuck all the previous 5 seasons and went unbeaten and won the league and topped their group in Europe.

Rodgers took a side that had won the last 5 titles and 3 of the last 5 big domestic cups and added a few league cups., while getting snotted in Europe.

Yea, its close.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Boss positioned himself clearly in the Gerrard debate and doesn't want to back down. Ever been on the internet before? That's not even a shot at Boss, that's what most people do.

No, I've never been on the internet before. Ever touched a womans breast before? 

7 hours ago, Boss said:

I said, if Gerrard gets top 4 and gets to the latter stages of the Champions League, he should be hired. All the managers I mentioned have achieved that criteria. You've taken that point and superimposed your own, "what did those managers achieve before they got hired by a big club?". I'm not interested in what they achieved prior. I'm interested in what their CV looks like in 2024. That's the only thing of relevance to our situation. You've even said yourself, you're expecting him to be sacked by Villa. If that's the case, why are you pushing him for the Liverpool job?

There are managers far more qualified for the job in this league. Rodgers is more qualified. He won every domestic trophy in Scotland back to back and then almost qualified for the Champions League with Leicester twice. He plays more eye-catching football than Gerrard - from what I've seen. Why should we overlook him - let alone all the managers that are more qualified than Rodgers - just because Gerrard has survived two years at Villa? Assuming, of course, that Rodgers is available at the same time.

What other managers have gone to a mid level club and put them on a par with the 3 greatest managers in world football and 1 of the richest clubs on the planet?

Saying Rodgers did a better job than Gerrard is like saying Guardiola did a better job than Klopp, and then pointing to the trophies to justify that statement.

The same people who say Zidane isn't a top manager despite 3 CLs on the spin.