You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

3 hours ago, Baltar said:

Our central defence in the late 90s was just awful. A central defence consisting of Ruddock, Babb, Scales, Kvarme, Wright, Matteo. Have I missed anyone out? Our defending under Roy Evans was just diabolical. Good thing Houllier came along and shipped these jokers out.

Torben Piechnik. 

It was awful in the entire 90s.

My thing with Gerrard is he will almost certainly manage us at some point so there's no point fighting it. And Villa will be difficult because they're a middling club with high expectations they very likely won't reach. His reputation will probably get beat up there. He'd almost be better taking a job where the goal is to escape relegation and everything else is gravy.

21 hours ago, Boss said:

Following that logic, Moyes deserved the hot-seat at United for massively overachieving with Everton. However, when you look at it objectively, it was obviously a terrible appointment from the start. It's the same thing when you sign a player from a midtable club, especially if they've been there for a long time. That's why I'd never want us to sign James Ward Prowse. Doesn't have the mentality of a Liverpool player. He's too accustomed to losing. Moyes had an also-rans mentality. Rodgers has it to a certain extent. Always lowering expectations and making excuses. A manager like that won't be successful at a big club. We need proven winners. 

I mean we signed Van Dijk and Mane from the same club. Robbo came from Hull. A good player is a good player. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Won the league in his 1st season didnt we?

But yeah from memory you are spot on.

However the following year the defence was definitely creaking.

That 4 all was a horror show.

Pallister would have defo been a longer term option but I dont think back then we had that luxury. 

Yeah, the defence started wobbling once Hansen's legs went. 

5 hours ago, Boss said:

Moyes failed because the players didn't respect him. He got rid of Phelan - who's a glorified placer of cones. Muelensteen left on his own accord to become a manager. Our next appointment needs to be a manager that our star players can respect. Hiring a Potter, Gerrard or a Rodgers will doom us to failure. We need a Simeone, Tuchel, Flick or Zidane. Someone that can walk in with legit accomplishments at the highest level, so they are not showing Van Dijk videos of Shane Duffy trying to teach him how to defend.

Mulensteen left because Moyes brought his own assistant manager and didn't have a role for mulensteen, but for whatever reason was afraid of sacking him. 

So when zidane took over Madrid, did they all think he was a cunt? It's almost like you don't know who Steven Gerrard is. 

6 hours ago, Baltar said:

Our central defence in the late 90s was just awful. A central defence consisting of Ruddock, Babb, Scales, Kvarme, Wright, Matteo. Have I missed anyone out? Our defending under Roy Evans was just diabolical. Good thing Houllier came along and shipped these jokers out.

I disagree. We werent that bad at actually defending but the ability to handle any kind of pressure was severely lacking. Our goalkeeper was worth at least 10 points a season, to the opposition.

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, the defence started wobbling once Hansen's legs went. 

Mulensteen left because Moyes brought his own assistant manager and didn't have a role for mulensteen, but for whatever reason was afraid of sacking him. 

So when zidane took over Madrid, did they all think he was a cunt? It's almost like you don't know who Steven Gerrard is. 

When did I say everyone in the dressing room would think Steven Gerrard is a cunt? It's foolhardy even debating it because we'll see in the next few years what Gerrard achieves. Klopp's here, as of now, and we may as well enjoy it while we can. 

24 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I mean we signed Van Dijk and Mane from the same club. Robbo came from Hull. A good player is a good player. 

True. To be fair though, Van Dijk and Mane moved as soon as they could. They didn't languish at Southampton for several years. That's a huge red flag: a player that refuses to leave their comfort zone. I wouldn't want us to sign Zaha for the same reason. 

20 minutes ago, Boss said:

When did I say everyone in the dressing room would think Steven Gerrard is a cunt? It's foolhardy even debating it because we'll see in the next few years what Gerrard achieves. Klopp's here, as of now, and we may as well enjoy it while we can. 

Saying what I'm going to c&p below pretty much says Gerrard is a cunt who the players won't respect. It's almost like you've forgotten Steven Gerrard is one of the best players to ever play for us and while currently an inexperienced manager, your insinuation is either he's a cunt that won't be respected or he has less of a managerial CV than when zidane took over at Madrid. So his looks pretty good in comparison........

Hiring a Potter, Gerrard or a Rodgers will doom us to failure. We need a Simeone, Tuchel, Flick or Zidane. Someone that can walk in with legit accomplishments at the highest level, so they are not showing Van Dijk videos of Shane Duffy trying to teach him how to defend.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I disagree. We werent that bad at actually defending but the ability to handle any kind of pressure was severely lacking. Our goalkeeper was worth at least 10 points a season, to the opposition.

Agreed.

We werent particularly awful at the back but we had no spirit,for want of a better word.

Klopps teams never know when they are beaten

Evan's was the complete opposite.

Always remember that Chelsea cup game where we were 2 0 up at half time I think and ended up losing.

54 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Saying what I'm going to c&p below pretty much says Gerrard is a cunt who the players won't respect. It's almost like you've forgotten Steven Gerrard is one of the best players to ever play for us and while currently an inexperienced manager, your insinuation is either he's a cunt that won't be respected or he has less of a managerial CV than when zidane took over at Madrid. So his looks pretty good in comparison........

Hiring a Potter, Gerrard or a Rodgers will doom us to failure. We need a Simeone, Tuchel, Flick or Zidane. Someone that can walk in with legit accomplishments at the highest level, so they are not showing Van Dijk videos of Shane Duffy trying to teach him how to defend.

No, I'm saying he has less of a managers CV than Zidane now. I wouldn't hire Zidane if he had no experience. I wouldn't hire Gerrard with the experience he has now. Gerrard shouldn't even be in the conversation when Klopp steps down.

27 minutes ago, Boss said:

No, I'm saying he has less of a managers CV than Zidane now. I wouldn't hire Zidane if he had no experience. I wouldn't hire Gerrard with the experience he has now. Gerrard shouldn't even be in the conversation when Klopp steps down.

So what I'm saying, is do you think the Madrid dressing room lacked respect for zidane when he took the job at Madrid in the same way you lack respect for Gerrard? What "legit accomplishments at the highest level" did zidane the manager have when he took the Madrid job? What had flick won as a manager when he took over at Bayern? 

Your post insinuated that the dressing room wouldn't respect Gerrard, because he would be showing videos of shane Duffy on how to defend to vvd. It's fucking embarrassing that you think that first of all Gerrard would not command respect and second of all his ace up his sleave would be videos of shit cloggers. Honestly, I despair of our fans some times. 

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Klopp said he'd like to see Gerrard succeed him. Demagoguery or not, he said it. And it will probably happen. If not after Klopp, at some point.

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So what I'm saying, is do you think the Madrid dressing room lacked respect for zidane when he took the job at Madrid in the same way you lack respect for Gerrard? What "legit accomplishments at the highest level" did zidane the manager have when he took the Madrid job? What had flick won as a manager when he took over at Bayern? 

Your post insinuated that the dressing room wouldn't respect Gerrard, because he would be showing videos of shane Duffy on how to defend to vvd. It's fucking embarrassing that you think that first of all Gerrard would not command respect and second of all his ace up his sleave would be videos of shit cloggers. Honestly, I despair of our fans some times. 

Zidane is a bad example. I actually don't rate Zidane that highly, even though he's won three European Cups. I wouldn't hire him over Tuchel or even Pochettino. It was just an example of a successful manager. 

Would Gerrard have the respect of the dressing room? Well, it depends. If he bombs at Villa, then no. If he succeeds, he will command respect. There's more to managing than commanding respect anyway. There's experience, tactical acumen, whether you have a history of improving players or not. Gerrard is an unknown quantity, we'll see what happens on that score. I personally think he'll be sacked by Villa within two years, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong on that. 

Just to make it clear, I was talking about Graham Potter with Shane Duffy, not Gerrard. Gerrard showing Van Dijk videos of players he hasn't managed wouldn't make any sense. 

8 hours ago, Boss said:

Just to make it clear, I was talking about Graham Potter with Shane Duffy, not Gerrard. Gerrard showing Van Dijk videos of players he hasn't managed wouldn't make any sense. 

Why would Potter do that? He’s a very promising young manager with a bright future ahead of him. He’s not a moron. I doubt Pep would have shown Puyol videos or random Barca B defenders to get his points across.

8 hours ago, Boss said:

Zidane is a bad example. I actually don't rate Zidane that highly, even though he's won three European Cups. I wouldn't hire him over Tuchel or even Pochettino. It was just an example of a successful manager. 

Would Gerrard have the respect of the dressing room? Well, it depends. If he bombs at Villa, then no. If he succeeds, he will command respect. There's more to managing than commanding respect anyway. There's experience, tactical acumen, whether you have a history of improving players or not. Gerrard is an unknown quantity, we'll see what happens on that score. I personally think he'll be sacked by Villa within two years, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong on that. 

If zidane was a bad example, was Flick too? And Pochetino didn't win a thing till he was in the financial doping game. 

If Gerrard bombs at Villa, well he won't be getting the job here, so the point is moot. 

All these points you make about experience, tactical acumen , improving players etc - well back to zidane and flick, they didn't have this when taking over superclubs. Klopp has built a supposedly wonderful backroom team, so if Gerrard would be lacking in some things (which by then would be after 5 years in management and not failing at Villa), then that's what his backroom team is for. Klopp is renowned for his delegating with his staff. So these lads do much of the work today. The culture and environment klopp has built is not a one man band. Klopp is a wonderful manager and will be absolutely impossible to replace. Nobody who replaces him will have the capability he had when he joined the club. But because of klopp we will have evolved. We will have players with a winning culture, a backroom team who are used to coaching and preparing winners and he even improved the fans behaviour and atmosphere in the ground. So we don't need a manager who's going to build the club up, we need a manager who can continue the journey. 

Steven Gerrard is one of the most highly regarded footballers we've had in this country in my lifetime. There's no reason to think he won't have the command of the dressing room. Klopp has made sure the dressing room is not full of cunts. They respect each other. If Gerrard does enough at Villa to earn his crack at Liverpool, then there's absolutely no chance he would have a dressing room thinking "who's this prick from villa, what can he tell me". 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

If zidane was a bad example, was Flick too? And Pochetino didn't win a thing till he was in the financial doping game. 

If Gerrard bombs at Villa, well he won't be getting the job here, so the point is moot. 

All these points you make about experience, tactical acumen , improving players etc - well back to zidane and flick, they didn't have this when taking over superclubs. Klopp has built a supposedly wonderful backroom team, so if Gerrard would be lacking in some things (which by then would be after 5 years in management and not failing at Villa), then that's what his backroom team is for. Klopp is renowned for his delegating with his staff. So these lads do much of the work today. The culture and environment klopp has built is not a one man band. Klopp is a wonderful manager and will be absolutely impossible to replace. Nobody who replaces him will have the capability he had when he joined the club. But because of klopp we will have evolved. We will have players with a winning culture, a backroom team who are used to coaching and preparing winners and he even improved the fans behaviour and atmosphere in the ground. So we don't need a manager who's going to build the club up, we need a manager who can continue the journey. 

Steven Gerrard is one of the most highly regarded footballers we've had in this country in my lifetime. There's no reason to think he won't have the command of the dressing room. Klopp has made sure the dressing room is not full of cunts. They respect each other. If Gerrard does enough at Villa to earn his crack at Liverpool, then there's absolutely no chance he would have a dressing room thinking "who's this prick from villa, what can he tell me". 

Flick was assistant to Low for nearly a decade and managed Hoffenheim for five years, hardly inexperienced. I agree with needing a manager that can continue the journey though. I have, maybe, an irrational fear of Gerrard managing us after the Souness era and watching the club do nothing for a decade trying to reanimate the spirit of the boot room. Nostalgia doesn't usually pay well in football. Pirlo at Juve and Lampard at Chelsea are two very recent examples. If Gerrard had the mentality of Xavi I could get on board with it but he thought Joe Cole was as talented as Messi and backed Curbishley and Hodgson. I don't think he's going to be the next Guardiola or Klopp but - as they say - the future is unwritten.

If only everything in football didnt have an element of a gamble in it, eh?

Stevie's credentials to be a Liverpool manager will stand or fall on how his managerial career goes. He could become an elite manager or just a good one. So far his career indicates he isnt going to be a poor manager.

By comparison, does anyone think fwank or rooney would have dragged Rangers into the title equation never mind winning the title even if celtic were 'imploding'?

Ten Hag may equally turn into a fine manager. One of his 2 Eredivisie titles was awarded to Ajax in a dead heat when the authorities curtailed the season due to covid.

Pochettino is, I think, a good manager. But he's done no more than Rogers did when he went to celtic and were nailed on to win the league. So Pochettino has done with PSG.

All the suggestion that a future Liverpool manager has to have won a couple of titles, in what leagues? Because if that is the criteria some want to use, I think it's doubtful any manager of Bayern, Real or Juve will become manager here and outside of those clubs, any manager winning 2 titles is going to be very rare indeed.

13 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Mad how some people are so eager to write of a manager 3 years into his career.

I'm guessing the same type of people who labelled tuchel a fraud when he came to England.

Tuchel would probably be my 1 choice post Klopp to be honest. 

58 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

If only everything in football didnt have an element of a gamble in it, eh?

Stevie's credentials to be a Liverpool manager will stand or fall on how his managerial career goes. He could become an elite manager or just a good one. So far his career indicates he isnt going to be a poor manager.

By comparison, does anyone think fwank or rooney would have dragged Rangers into the title equation never mind winning the title even if celtic were 'imploding'?

Ten Hag may equally turn into a fine manager. One of his 2 Eredivisie titles was awarded to Ajax in a dead heat when the authorities curtailed the season due to covid.

Pochettino is, I think, a good manager. But he's done no more than Rogers did when he went to celtic and were nailed on to win the league. So Pochettino has done with PSG.

All the suggestion that a future Liverpool manager has to have won a couple of titles, in what leagues? Because if that is the criteria some want to use, I think it's doubtful any manager of Bayern, Real or Juve will become manager here and outside of those clubs, any manager winning 2 titles is going to be very rare indeed.

Yeah, I think Frank would've done exactly the same at Rangers. Gerrard pilfered our academy for players. I bet if Frank took Gilmour, Mount and Conor Gallagher to Scotland they'd be smashing teams left and right. He also easily outspent Celtic and they had a massive turnover of players. The minimum expectancy was a title challenge. 

Ten Hag's team destroyed Real Madrid - a feat we've failed to do under Klopp - and were a whisker away from a Champions League final. Pochettino got to a Champions League final with Spurs - which is crazy when you think about it.