You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

Back on topic, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone have the goalposts moved further away from reviving praise than what Steven Gerrard has to go through.  

No matter what he does, he’ll always be undermined.

Seen that Dave Hendrick having a breakdown on twitter the other day naming 40 managers better suited than Gerrard to get the gig here.

Some of the names given humiliated him. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I can't remember his first couple of seasons but I always thought Pallister in the mid 90's was a superb centre-half. Very under-rated. Compare him to some of the shite we had back then. Ruddock fucking Neil Ruddock, that twat playing for us less than 10 years since we had Lawrenson and Hansen at the back. Thank god we've got 4 top centre backs now. 

He was definitely crucial for them later on but they got him in 89..they didnt win the league till 3 years.

Remember reading some manc thing and he was a bit of a whipping boy early doors because he cost so much.. think he was a record signing at the time.

Defo would have been an improvement on that fat cockney cunt.

Missing out on Keane was another big one..apparently he was desperate to come to liverpool but we got nigel clough instead

35 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yep utd were after him and we stole in.

Tbh from memory he wasn't that bad..just not a long term option

I seem to remember he was sound in his 1st season, shite in his second and then it was Souness time. I'm not even sure he survived that first summer under Souness and if he did, I don't think he got on the pitch much. 

I thought Hysen was out of his depth in the First Division despite all his reputation. We signed him when he was in talks to join the mancs, given his performances, I wish he had joined them.

Never forget the nightmare he had at old Trafford when he was fortunate not to give them 3 penalties with his swinging arm in the air on every ball into the box. Ref gave them one pen and kindly decided to ignore the others.

If people thought Degsy wasnt good enough, they'd have had palpitations with this guy.

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I seem to remember he was sound in his 1st season, shite in his second and then it was Souness time. I'm not even sure he survived that first summer under Souness and if he did, I don't think he got on the pitch much. 

Won the league in his 1st season didnt we?

But yeah from memory you are spot on.

However the following year the defence was definitely creaking.

That 4 all was a horror show.

Pallister would have defo been a longer term option but I dont think back then we had that luxury. 

Our central defence in the late 90s was just awful. A central defence consisting of Ruddock, Babb, Scales, Kvarme, Wright, Matteo. Have I missed anyone out? Our defending under Roy Evans was just diabolical. Good thing Houllier came along and shipped these jokers out.

43 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Personally I thought pallister was pretty poor in the period hysen played for us. He did come good later, but it took a while. 

Yea, that's how I remember it. Glen looked the dogs and Pallister looked like shit.

And then it flipped, about 18 months later?

But they deffo got the best deal long term.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Moyes biggest mistake when coming into united was wanting his whole team and throwing away everything that was there. He brought his team in, forcing out the likes of muelensteen and phelan. This was compounded with the change of CEO (not Moyes doing obviously). We'll never know how Moyes could have done had he come in to a stable team, but it absolutely won't have helped him thinking Everton was the same as man united. It's why we need to change as little as possible when klopp goes. As I said before, I hate the cunts in Boston, but I'm sure they're very focused on continuity for when klopp leaves to make any transition as likely to work as possible. 

Moyes failed because the players didn't respect him. He got rid of Phelan - who's a glorified placer of cones. Muelensteen left on his own accord to become a manager. Our next appointment needs to be a manager that our star players can respect. Hiring a Potter, Gerrard or a Rodgers will doom us to failure. We need a Simeone, Tuchel, Flick or Zidane. Someone that can walk in with legit accomplishments at the highest level, so they are not showing Van Dijk videos of Shane Duffy trying to teach him how to defend.

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

Our central defence in the late 90s was just awful. A central defence consisting of Ruddock, Babb, Scales, Kvarme, Wright, Matteo. Have I missed anyone out? Our defending under Roy Evans was just diabolical. Good thing Houllier came along and shipped these jokers out.

Some of those players looked to be good signings at the time. Mark Wright was a very good centre-half at Southampton and Derby. Ruddock looked promising at Southampton and Tottenham.

6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Some of those players looked to be good signings at the time. Mark Wright was a very good centre-half at Southampton and Derby. Ruddock looked promising at Southampton and Tottenham.

Some one could have done a little due diligence on Ruddock, especially a side like Liverpool. Throw a prize nobhead like that into any dressing room and he's changing the dynamic. 

57 minutes ago, Boss said:

Moyes failed because the players didn't respect him. He got rid of Phelan - who's a glorified placer of cones. Muelensteen left on his own accord to become a manager. Our next appointment needs to be a manager that our star players can respect. Hiring a Potter, Gerrard or a Rodgers will doom us to failure. We need a Simeone, Tuchel, Flick or Zidane. Someone that can walk in with legit accomplishments at the highest level, so they are not showing Van Dijk videos of Shane Duffy trying to teach him how to defend.

Simeone isn’t right for this club. Zidane had only managed at reserve team level when he was given the top job.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Some one could have done a little due diligence on Ruddock, especially a side like Liverpool. Throw a prize nobhead like that into any dressing room and he's changing the dynamic. 

True, but that’s assuming he was as unprofessional and disruptive at Southampton and Tottenham, as he was at Liverpool. He certainly didn’t seem to have problems with his weight as a young player at Southampton, or during his second spell at Tottenham.

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Simeone isn’t right for this club. Zidane had only managed at reserve team level when he was given the top job.

If a man who has won two La Ligas, two Super Cups, two Europa Leagues and finished runner up in a Champions League final twice, isn't right for us, but a man who has won one title in Scotland against Neil Lennon is, then maybe we need to change our criteria on what being "right" for the club actually means. 

Just now, Boss said:

If a man who has won two La Ligas, two Super Cups, two Europa Leagues and finished runner up in a Champions League final twice, isn't right for us, but a man who has won one title in Scotland against Neil Lennon is, then maybe we need to change our criteria on what being "right" for the club actually means. 

His persona, his brand of football and use of the ‘dark arts’ aren’t right for this club.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

True, but that’s assuming he was as unprofessional and disruptive at Southampton and Tottenham, as he was at Liverpool. He certainly didn’t seem to have problems with his weight as a young player at Southampton, or during his second spell at Tottenham.

Suppose. Maybe he thought he'd hit the big time and it went to his head. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

His persona, his brand of football and use of the ‘dark arts’ aren’t right for this club.

This. Fuck him, brillo pad headed cunt 

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

If that was true Maureen would have been and gone by now.

He would have won us very similar, but was also a shithouse who plays boring shithouse tactics.

Just now, DalyanPete said:

If that was true Maureen would have been and gone by now.

He would have won us very similar, but was also a shithouse who plays boring shithouse tactics.

If Mourinho would've taken over instead of Benitez, he'd be a club legend now and everyone would've loved him. 

Just now, DalyanPete said:

Don't know any Reds who wanted him.

We would have been bored shitless, a bit like Ambramovich looked during his tenure there

A lot of that is based on latter-day Mourinho. His Chelsea team played good football and his Real Madrid team scored over 100 goals every season he managed them.

• Upvote 1

I decided to look for a Villa forum earlier out of interest. The majority said ‘Welcome Stevie’ or they weren’t that keen but said they’d get behind him now he was there. 
There was one hilarious chap who post a gif of Stevie’s slip….