You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

• 1 month later...

Bring him home.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/why-steven-gerrard-expects-liverpool-finish-season-strongly

Steven Gerrard expects a refreshed Liverpool to perform strongly in the second half of the season.

The Reds are currently on a training camp in Dubai before their campaign resumes with a Carabao Cup tie at Manchester City on December 22.

And Gerrard feels the pause enforced by the World Cup, along with the second ‘pre-season’ it has afforded them the opportunity to complete, will benefit Jürgen Klopp’s squad.

“Yeah, it is [like a second pre-season]. It’s an opportunity to get a lot of work in on the training ground [and] reset a few things,” Gerrard told Liverpoolfc.com of the ongoing camp in Dubai.

“I’m sure Jürgen and his staff are doing a lot of things tactically but [it’s] also an opportunity to have a much-needed rest.

They’ve played a lot of football over the last few years, they were involved in every competition last year.

“So to have a small pre-season before a ball was kicked [and then] to have this opportunity to rest and then have a second build-up, I’m hoping that Liverpool come flying out of the blocks.

“I expect a really strong six months and finish to the season because important players have had the chance to rest and recover and the players [who have been] in the World Cup should come back full of confidence, in a good place, physically ready.

“I expect a really strong, exciting finish to the season for the Reds.”

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

He lacks the personality and intelligence to be a successful top-level manager.

Well he made some good choices for his coaching staff. Like several other young-ish managers, he sounds like he's absorbed a text book full of cliches as far as his public comments are concerned, but personally he's seemed better than I expected when it comes to projecting a personality. In terms of intelligence I've no doubt he reads the game as well as many, and his tactical decisions up in Scotland were pretty good. The Villa episode was a bit bewildering, from indulging a 'Dogs of War'-style attitude at times to picking the wrong fights with his own players, but many others have been chewed up and spat out by that club. The jury's still out on him; he needs to make the right decision for his next move. It would be wise to avoid the PL and maybe try his luck abroad for a while.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Arniepie said:

and one of the best managers the country has ever seen.

some other great managers with sparkling personalities.

ancelotti

wenger

kenny

cappello

You seem to equate personality with being demonstrative. Those four managers are all charismatic individuals, I would say. Whatever Gerrard is, he ain't that.

But it isn't only a matter of personality, as I said.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/12/2022 at 20:19, Carvalho Diablo said:

I'd bring him back on a pay-as-you-play 6 month deal until the end of the season.

He's still faster than most of our midfielders and he has the vision, tackling, determination, leadership, creativity and finishing that none of the useless puddings we have to pick from has.

I tend to agree, except I do have a soft spot for a good Yorkshire.