You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

On 11/08/2022 at 00:38, Supremolad said:

This. Absolutely this.

He talks too much, gives too much away to the media in press conferences. And I'm still annoyed he has already released a tell it all book. How many assistant managers have ever done that while still at their current club?

I absolutely believe he would agree to an Amazon All or Nothing documentary if he ever became manager. I just don't see the appeal people have for him. He is a good coach but it would quickly become a cringe fest if he ever became Liverpool manager.

The book thing is a head scratcher. I've not read it & almost certainly won't read it but I would imagine other coaches & managers will be all over it & it worries me how much he is giving away in there.

12 hours ago, Mook said:

The book thing is a head scratcher. I've not read it & almost certainly won't read it but I would imagine other coaches & managers will be all over it & it worries me how much he is giving away in there.

Yep, I usually like reading books from players' perspectives. I just don't see why an assistant manager is releasing an "inside LFC" book while he is still at the club, when the manager himself has never done any book of any kind.

I reckon Klopp would have had to give permission for certain bits to be in there anyway, so maybe Ljinders isnt giving away as much in the book as imagined. I'd just rather he curbed his enthusiasm a bit. He can't hope to be a successful manager at a club of our size if he doesn't rein in the David Brent aspects of his character.

13 hours ago, Mook said:

Yeah, we're fucked.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mook said:

The analytics departments will be all over it. Don’t see the point of it at all. Comes across a bit “look at me” in my opinion. Keep your fucking counsel. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What is up with you and your sarky comments on almost every thread today?

Everything is fucking doom and gloom on every fucking thread and I'm sick of it.

FSG are cunts, Klopp is pissed off, we haven't strengthened yet again, we have the shittest net spend yet again, everyone we do have is injury prone, and now, we're giving our secrets away in a fucking book.

There's very little that's positive on here, so I'm going to sarky the fuck out of every thread that isn't.

• Upvote 1

On 13/08/2022 at 16:33, m0e said:

Everything is fucking doom and gloom on every fucking thread and I'm sick of it.

FSG are cunts, Klopp is pissed off, we haven't strengthened yet again, we have the shittest net spend yet again, everyone we do have is injury prone, and now, we're giving our secrets away in a fucking book.

There's very little that's positive on here, so I'm going to sarky the fuck out of every thread that isn't.

Get your arse to the GF .......

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching villa today. Gerrard could be in some trouble I think. They're a terribly dull and predictable team. It's strangely the 3rd time I've watched them this season and they've only looked half decent against Everton. It's hard to see where they get goals, they're so narrow - it reminds me a lot of how Rafa used to set up here, except narrower. It's like the aim is to 0-0 the other team to death and hope for a moment of brilliance from somewhere. Except he doesn't have those players. Watkins, fuck me, shite. Ings just doesn't get involved. Coutinho limping off again, buendia anonymous replacing him. 

West ham were shocking too - they stepped up for about 15 mins in the 2nd half and got their goal in that spell. 

The commentators were saying villa have city and arsenal coming up next. I reckon Gerrard genuinely needs points from those games to keep his job. 

Just now, bizzle10 said:

Left Rangers too soon should have stayed challenging for titles and competing in Europe every year the prem league would have come calling because  of his name anyway stay in Scotland and build up his experience and earn a reputation 

I thought the same, the league winning season apart he didn't really set the world alight, although he had a decent record against Celtic it was the "lesser" teams they struggled against.

2 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

Left Rangers too soon should have stayed challenging for titles and competing in Europe every year the prem league would have come calling because  of his name anyway stay in Scotland and build up his experience and earn a reputation 

Yeah it's a big mistake for young managers to try and take on a job in the spotlight so soon. He'll be a decent manager at some stage but it's fucking grind the prem and their fans are shit.