You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

• 2 months later...
On 13/04/2022 at 23:12, dockers_strike said:

Why arent you 'buying it' they wanted Klopp originally?

I dont think Suarez was the best player in the world when we signed him else everyone would have been in for him, bad boy image or not.

Was Ranieri instrumental to Leicester's title? No because he was called the tinkerman and the players got the club over the line. But the history books show him as a title winning manager as they would with Rodgers if we'd won in 2014.

But we didn't win anything under Rodgers and Leicester did under Ranieri. That's all the history books will show. I never called him a tinkerman so what a bunch of whoppers in the media called him makes no difference to me. A hell of a drop from Klopp to Rodgers. Why not just keep Kenby then?

• 1 month later...

I had a gander at an Aston Villa forum and they're really not impressed with our Stevie, and they want him out already. Apparently there's a split in the Villa dressing room as Gerrard has dropped various former first teamers into the reserves. Not handled the Mings situation well either, apparently. This season could well demonstrate whether Gerrard has what it takes to eventually manage Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I had a gander at an Aston Villa forum and they're really not impressed with our Stevie, and they want him out already. Apparently there's a split in the Villa dressing room as Gerrard has dropped various former first teamers into the reserves. Not handled the Mings situation well either, apparently. This season could well demonstrate whether Gerrard has what it takes to eventually manage Liverpool.

I always hoped he would do well (to a point obviously) but I can see Villa unraveling pretty quickly if I’m being honest. 

Outside of our own club, which seems remarkable in teams of the relative humility of the stars, can you imagine trying to deal with young players and their entourages today?

He’s probably like Souness or Roy Keane in the sense that he expects the same high standards and drive from them that he held himself. Not going to happen. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Outside of our own club, which seems remarkable in teams of the relative humility of the stars, can you imagine trying to deal with young players and their entourages today?

He’s probably like Souness or Roy Keane in the sense that he expects the same high standards and drive from them that he held himself. Not going to happen. 

I mentioned it on the podcast thread but Harry Redknapp had Barnes on and they were talking about man management at Anfield with the boot-room. Redknapp then says from the days of the manager having an open office to sit down and have an honest discussion with a player, nowadays if a player is unhappy and being dropped or played out of position they go to their agent who goes to the chairman who then goes to the manager. 

Agents are probably the biggest cause of problems in football. Utter vultures. 

• Upvote 2

I’m glad he’s failing tbh, it fucking stinks of a Souness like appointment when Klopp goes, I don’t want him anywhere near the club as a manager so him struggling at Villa means he won’t get the job here….

I think it’s nailed on that Pep Ljinders succeeds Klopp.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I mentioned it on the podcast thread but Harry Redknapp had Barnes on and they were talking about man management at Anfield with the boot-room. Redknapp then says from the days of the manager having an open office to sit down and have an honest discussion with a player, nowadays if a player is unhappy and being dropped or played out of position they go to their agent who goes to the chairman who then goes to the manager. 

Agents are probably the biggest cause of problems in football. Utter vultures. 

The same agent Wheeler Dealer Harry would have met a few times in motorway services for a few brown envelopes.....

54 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Can’t wait for him to get here.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

I’m glad he’s failing tbh, it fucking stinks of a Souness like appointment when Klopp goes, I don’t want him anywhere near the club as a manager so him struggling at Villa means he won’t get the job here….

I think it’s nailed on that Pep Ljinders succeeds Klopp.

Nothing like judging a young manager after just over a half a season.

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

The Mings situation is weird - club captain, England regular, now shut out - but even weirder is that it's practically identical to Coady's situation at Wolves.

Not arsed really though, I don't particularly want Gerrard as our manager, and I don't think there's that many people in the "Give it Steveh" camp.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Think he's a strong contender to be the first manager sacked this season. He should have stayed in Scotland. He was never likely to achieve anything with a club like Aston Villa.

Yeah, stupid decision to go there. There wasn't a level of success that was possible and he will always have been hungrier for that success than the level of player at his disposal would allow. He was never going to get them to the CL, even Europe is a tough ask. He should have at least seen his EL run through with rangers and then looked for a gig with a decent club in somewhere like Holland. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, stupid decision to go there. There wasn't a level of success that was possible and he will always have been hungrier for that success than the level of player at his disposal would allow. He was never going to get them to the CL, even Europe is a tough ask. He should have at least seen his EL run through with rangers and then looked for a gig with a decent club in somewhere like Holland. 

Yep very true, he would have been better off at a smaller premiership club or ambitious championship club. The trouble with Villa is that they are large enough for the supporters and owners to believe they should be competing at the very top level but in reality they aren't big enough. Their title and European Cup win 40 years ago doesn't help.

According to my died in the wool Villa supporting mate, the dressing room is split about Gerrard and Mings is apparently suspected of playing a leading role in the division hence the public dressing down.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Strontium said:

The Mings situation is weird - club captain, England regular, now shut out - but even weirder is that it's practically identical to Coady's situation at Wolves.

Not arsed really though, I don't particularly want Gerrard as our manager, and I don't think there's that many people in the "Give it Steveh" camp.

Mings is shite

He's a 6 yard box defender

But because Villa fans love him they are up in arms. 

Gerrard gone in the international break or during the world cup. He does himself no favours,always quick to throw playes under the bus

8 minutes ago, clangers said:

According to my died in the wool Villa supporting mate, the dressing room is split about Gerrard and Mings is apparently suspected of playing a leading role in the division hence the public dressing down.

Stevie has apparently said ' When he can look me in the eye and tell me 100% wants to play, then I'll consider him for the team '. All seems a bit ott, a bit of deflection for the Bournemouth defeat and not something for the newspapers.

Be interesting to see what happens with him if nothing else. He won't get a big club job without doing it further down the tree but I remember reading about Roy Keane's biggest problem in management - that he simply lacked the imagination to understand how some of his players aren't capable of what he was technically or give as much of a shit as he did, or both. So he ended up falling out with them as he judged his playing staff by his own standards - and at Sunderland, those standards are generally going to be miles lower than at the mancs in their heyday.

As an aside I wonder if that's why for the most part the best managers are the more limited players, those who were frustrated that their technical ability couldn't take them where they wanted to go but understand the mindset of that kind of player and what makes them tick; they understand that players need guidance and leadership and the more you can give them the further they can go. Maybe the good players just don't fully appreciate the nuances of that - they just think "it's a piece of piss - why can't you just play boss and you'll win?"

Perhaps I'm doing them a disservice there, I dunno.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, clangers said:

Yep very true, he would have been better off at a smaller premiership club or ambitious championship club. The trouble with Villa is that they are large enough for the supporters and owners to believe they should be competing at the very top level but in reality they aren't big enough. Their title and European Cup win 40 years ago doesn't help.

For me Mings sums the challenge he has. And that's without discussing any attitude issue there might be. He's one of their main players and is dogshit and wouldn't look out of place in the championship. He's taken over at a club with a turnover not much beyond Burnley, a squad that was very championship and expected to transform.

His signings had to be spot on and I'm not sure he's managed that. Digne hasn't set the world alight, I'm not sure even coutinho has. But it's such a challenge to get where they want (I think I read at the backend of last season his target was 4th or 5th). You're not getting there without players who are miles better than what they had, but nobody is going there in their prime. So he gets youngsters or players at the tail of their career and maybe less hungry like coutinho and digne. It's an almost impossible task, especially if you've come in because the previous manager was deemed to be taking them down and in 18 months you've got to get in the CL.