You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, Code said:

How many years and transfer windows?

This is how it looked like when Klopp took charge of us, and how we finished the first season.

And how it looked like when Gerrard took charge of Villa and where they are now. 

0F160D50-EBDD-4423-9B84-5A944EDE3622.jpeg

A81B2347-2749-47DB-91F1-57CE9E6D8ACB.jpeg

96C95E82-E297-4FB9-8BE0-069A76A0373F.jpeg

CEB4EEC4-6BB6-4EA6-A9B5-31087BFF57BC.jpeg

Well not within a year obviously, or 2. But that should be an achievable long term objective which would demonstrate his capabilities. There's no way Steven Gerrard should be considered for the job of replacing Jürgen Klopp if the unthinkable happened and he left in 2024. He'd have to prove he has elite manager capabilities over a number of years

52 minutes ago, etho said:

Well not within a year obviously, or 2. But that should be an achievable long term objective which would demonstrate his capabilities. There's no way Steven Gerrard should be considered for the job of replacing Jürgen Klopp if the unthinkable happened and he left in 2024. He'd have to prove he has elite manager capabilities over a number of years

Remember that FSG's only decent managerial appointment has been Klopp. They sacked Kenny and hired Rodgers. Let's hope they've learned from that stuff too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I keep saying it, FSG wanted Jurgen as manager before he actually left Dortmund but he wouldnt break his contract. Knowing they were not going to get him and as results under the King had massively dropped off something had to give.

And the bottom line is Rodgers team came tantilisingly close to winning the title. Then when his results nosedived acted decisively to remove him and once again, approach Jurgen who this time accepted the offer.

They wasted no time getting rid of the owl.

35 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I keep saying it, FSG wanted Jurgen as manager before he actually left Dortmund but he wouldnt break his contract. Knowing they were not going to get him and as results under the King had massively dropped off something had to give.

And the bottom line is Rodgers team came tantilisingly close to winning the title. Then when his results nosedived acted decisively to remove him and once again, approach Jurgen who this time accepted the offer.

Do you reckon FSG already know who they want next? 

I reckon they want Jurgen to stay for the next 4 or 5 years. Why should the owners be looking for a replacement that being the case?

At the moment based on the fact Jurgen's contract ends 2024, who out there exactly would 'qualify' as a suitable manager to replace him? Fucked if I know.

Maybe Jurgen may make a recommendation? Personally, I dont think either Lijnders or Krawietz are elite manager candidates. Some people suggested Neil Critchley now at struggling Blackpool on the basis of a couple of League Cup games and no track record at elite level.

All Im saying regarding Gerrard is, his ability to be a Liverpool manager, not necessarily the one after Jurgen, will stand or fall on how he progresses at Villa and maybe beyond. But some people seem to have an almost obssession that he shouldnt be and not for some magical point 10 years in the future.

I see Bayern fans are in open revolt over Nagelsmann's late substitution that cost them last night. Tough game being a footie manager.

2 managers id keep an eye on are not the most obvious, Graham Potter at Brighton and Thomas Frank at Brentford. Not the biggest names but with players of a better quality the way they set teams up i think they both have a bright future plus both have PL experience. Im really not convinced Gerrard will become Liverpool manager and to be honest id rather him stay a club legend and not tarnish his reputation should he become manager and fail   

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, andyj said:

2 managers id keep an eye on are not the most obvious, Graham Potter at Brighton and Thomas Frank at Brentford. Not the biggest names but with players of a better quality the way they set teams up i think they both have a bright future plus both have PL experience. Im really not convinced Gerrard will become Liverpool manager and to be honest id rather him stay a club legend and not tarnish his reputation should he become manager and fail   

We are Liverpool and we need proven winners and massive personalities to succeed.

You know how I know?

Everything that's happened to us since Kenny quit in 1991.

This is even more important now that the Saudis are getting involved.

Graham Potter and Thomas Frank can get to fuck.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, m0e said:

We are Liverpool and we need proven winners and massive personalities to succeed.

You know how I know?

Everything that's happened to us since Kenny quit in 1991.

This is even more important now that the Saudis are getting involved.

Graham Potter and Thomas Frank can get to fuck.

The brighton fans are turning on potter because the team have been miserable in front of goal since the day he joined the club. 

5 minutes ago, Strontium said:

You must have been even more staggered when he scored, then.

I didnt realise he had! Who were the opposition?

I think Potter and Frank are genuine guys, I dont know what the future holds for them. But at the same time, I dont see them being in the running to even be considered as a manager of Liverpool myself.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I didnt realise he had! Who were the opposition?

I think Potter and Frank are genuine guys, I dont know what the future holds for them. But at the same time, I dont see them being in the running to even be considered as a manager of Liverpool myself.

San Marino and Ivory Coast.

He also tore us a new one last season. Decent young player tbh. 

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

They didn't really Dalglish in the 1st place. 

Rodgers results tailed off the season after we finished 2nd yet they didn't get rid until the following season.

Agree about them wanting klopp though.

My guess is they were going to give Rogers another full season but the likes of utd were sniffing around him, so they got him in pronto. 

As per gerrard, personally I'd give him.at least 1 full season before writing him off.

He is a young manager still learning and will make mistakes.

Part of me doesn't want him here as a couple of bad results and the phone in wools will want him gone.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

They didn't really Dalglish in the 1st place. 

Rodgers results tailed off the season after we finished 2nd yet they didn't get rid until the following season.

Agree about them wanting klopp though.

My guess is they were going to give Rogers another full season but the likes of utd were sniffing around him, so they got him in pronto. 

As per gerrard, personally I'd give him.at least 1 full season before writing him off.

He is a young manager still learning and will make mistakes.

Part of me doesn't want him here as a couple of bad results and the phone in wools will want him gone.

Yes, I agree about the King. If I remember rightly, he threw his hat in the ring due to the poor quality candidates being mentioned to replace the owl.

While we all wanted a decent manager to take over from the owl, I think if we're honest, the type of manager we as fans wanted just wasnt coming to Liverpool at that point in time.

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He has to start implementing some kind of football there soon enough. He's done little bar getting some high profile players to come, which is nice, but it's one part of the job.

This is a bizarre statement to make. He took over Smith's team that had lost 5 on the bounce and 7 out of 9. He's had 1 transfer window when he's hardly had chance to assess the players already on the staff.

He's been there less than a full season.

29 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, I agree about the King. If I remember rightly, he threw his hat in the ring due to the poor quality candidates being mentioned to replace the owl.

While we all wanted a decent manager to take over from the owl, I think if we're honest, the type of manager we as fans wanted just wasnt coming to Liverpool at that point in time.

Didn't Hodgson say something like he didn't think he could do it?(another pr masterstroke)

I think they wanted a young manager all along (remember martinez was their 1st choice)and kenny was just going to steady the ship and they weren't banking on him completely turning it around.

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

This is a bizarre statement to make. He took over Smith's team that had lost 5 on the bounce and 7 out of 9. He's had 1 transfer window when he's hardly had chance to assess the players already on the staff.

He's been there less than a full season.

He has a 38% win rate, and there is material to work with at Villa. You have international players in that squad. It's not a good start. This isn't Rangnick the interim manager, Gerrard wants to be a top manager. He needs to implement something. I don't know how they play.

I'm fully prepared to blame Villa here if it goes wrong for him as they aren't exactly the picture of competence, but he has to show ideas.

56 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Kenny threw his hat in the ring when they appointed the owl. Purslow was using Kenny as a consultant when hiring Rafa's replacement and Kenny said to him if hodgson is the best you can come up with, I want the job. Luckily purslow picked the owl that made results bad enough that it got loads of our apathetic fans off their arse and helped in the final push to rid us of H&G. I'm convinced they'd have survived if we'd have appointed a capable manager. 

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He has a 38% win rate, and there is material to work with at Villa. You have international players in that squad. It's not a good start. This isn't Rangnick the interim manager, Gerrard wants to be a top manager. He needs to implement something. I don't know how they play.

I'm fully prepared to blame Villa here if it goes wrong for him as they aren't exactly the picture of competence, but he has to show ideas.

This is the league table from when Gerrard took over Villa.

Apart from a 1-3 loss to Chelsea and a 0-4 loss to Spurs they have not lost any of their games with more than one goal. 

They have a positive goal difference and in his first 20 PL games they have 8 wins, 2 draws and 10 losses.

Before he got appointed they had 3 wins, 1 draw and 7 losses.

B7D6B0B3-36CD-44CA-851A-00D3ACE4FDCE.jpeg

02AF6508-5261-4FD0-BA68-8A2A7B0474B0.jpeg

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I am not buying that stuff about wanting Klopp originally. And Rodgers was only in the title race because we had probably the world's best player at the time,who was signed under King Kenny too. Like I say,I hope they have learned after those early days.

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I am not buying that stuff about wanting Klopp originally. And Rodgers was only in the title race because we had probably the world's best player at the time,who was signed under King Kenny too. Like I say,I hope they have learned after those early days.

Why arent you 'buying it' they wanted Klopp originally?

I dont think Suarez was the best player in the world when we signed him else everyone would have been in for him, bad boy image or not.

Was Ranieri instrumental to Leicester's title? No because he was called the tinkerman and the players got the club over the line. But the history books show him as a title winning manager as they would with Rodgers if we'd won in 2014.

27 minutes ago, Code said:

This is the league table from when Gerrard took over Villa.

Apart from a 1-3 loss to Chelsea and a 0-4 loss to Spurs they have not lost any of their games with more than one goal. 

They have a positive goal difference and in his first 20 PL games they have 8 wins, 2 draws and 10 losses.

Before he got appointed they had 3 wins, 1 draw and 7 losses.

B7D6B0B3-36CD-44CA-851A-00D3ACE4FDCE.jpeg

02AF6508-5261-4FD0-BA68-8A2A7B0474B0.jpeg

Did you get your assistant to work up those numbers?