You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Is there any manager who Klopp has struggled against more than Potter? We have dropped seven point front the last three games against them. They have mostly championship level players. With a decent striker they would’ve qualified for Europe last season. 

Are you desperate for us to become a midtable club? Bamford upfront, Phillips in midfield, Potter as our manager. 

22 minutes ago, Boss said:

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Our football has been much more attritional, and less exciting, than years past. Football isn't about being exciting; it's about winning. Give me Simeone's Atletico any day over Rodgers Liverpool or Keegan's Newcastle. Look who's top of the league, and ask yourself why.

Do you think Chelsea fans will care - that they were defensive-minded - if they win the league?  We beat everyone that season we won the league and none of our rivals gave us any credit. It was all: LiVARpool, Laporte was out so it was easy for them. They're all on PED's.

Fuck 'em. Beat them any way we can.

That's a philosophical discussion. I don't care that much about style of football as long as a manager actually has one, but scoring goals and playing "good football" is way, way, way better to watch and the entertainment value is always going to be factored in. Football isn't just about winning, it's about how you win. I would take Simeone here because I think he has that special je ne sais quoi about him that makes a great manager but I'd probably get mighty tired of him at some point. You know who no one is tired of? Jurgen Klopp. 

The problem with shit football is that you have to win regularly.

I sat through some unbearable football with Houllier and Benitez and when they stopped winning, the style (and ultimately their positions at the club) became untenable.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think there is even the slightest chance of him ever managing us. I was merely questioning preferring Potter who has achieved almost nothing in the game. 

I'm not all that arsed about the moralising of how his teams played. He has twice broken the stranglehold of a supposed two team league, and done well in European competitions as well. He's clearly one of the best managers in the world and if he did come here would, albeit in a different style, keep us as one of the best teams around. 

Anyway, it won't be him. It's far more likely to be someone like Potter. 

To be fair I wouldn't want Potter myself.

The thing I can't understand is it seems people are looking at Stevie as if he has no understanding of football. Now that's not saying great footballers make great managers, history tells us that's not true.

For me, Stevie will be our next manager. It it fails it won't destroy his or the clubs legacy.

6 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

To be fair I wouldn't want Potter myself.

The thing I can't understand is it seems people are looking at Stevie as if he has no understanding of football. Now that's not saying great footballers make great managers, history tells us that's not true.

For me, Stevie will be our next manager. It it fails it won't destroy his or the clubs legacy.

I think it actually bodes pretty well that he did leave Rangers. He did a good job there, and now he's taken a job at another big club. He could have easily stayed at Rangers for another season or two winning more trophies, but if he does want the Liverpool job in the future then he has to keep testing, and proving, himself.

Personally, I would love him to be at Villa for two or three seasons, do well, and then do a couple of years in Germany, Spain or Italy. I don't think he will, but it would great for his experience as a manager.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

This just means there is more money available and the 'bigger' here relates to money,not trophies. Villa still come well ahead of Rangers on that score too though.

The bigger here relates to the immense popularity of the league, meaning an international broadcaster will pay that kinda money for what is the country's fourth most popular sport at best. 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

The bigger here relates to the immense popularity of the league, meaning an international broadcaster will pay that kinda money for what is the country's fourth most popular sport at best. 

My problem is that 'bigger' is now being applied to the financial side of the clubs rather than the trophies won. That doesn't work for me as I measure success by winning things. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

But, but.. Glasgow Rangers are a lot bigger globally than Aston Villa.

16286FED-0239-4C08-A138-FE4F92703ACA.png

They are. Anyone who can’t see that k led fuck all about football outside their bubble. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

This just means there is more money available and the 'bigger' here relates to money,not trophies. Villa still come well ahead of Rangers on that score too though.

Erm what??

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

They are. Anyone who can’t see that k led fuck all about football outside their bubble. 

Erm what??

Winning virtually unopposed cups and leagues in Scotland means very little these days even though you refuse to accept this harsh truth. I suspect this is the reason both Celtic and Rangers are desperate to join the English leagues instead. While I disagree with Chris regarding the 'big=financial clout' he is absolutely correct in the fact Villa are a bigger club than Rangers. They are bigger in both instances,financial clout and trophies won. It's a shame that the Scottish League has become worthless,I wish it hadn't but it has.

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Winning virtually unopposed cups and leagues in Scotland means very little these days even though you refuse to accept this harsh truth. I suspect this is the reason both Celtic and Rangers are desperate to join the English leagues instead. While I disagree with Chris regarding the 'big=financial clout' he is absolutely correct in the fact Villa are a bigger club than Rangers. They are bigger in both instances,financial clout and trophies won. It's a shame that the Scottish League has become worthless,I wish it hadn't but it has.

Right, they aren't a 'bigger' club. Not at all. Richer? yes, for being in the richest league in the world. And no, they haven't won more trophies not by a fucking long shot. 

Jesus wept 

On 24/05/2020 at 02:05, aRdja said:

This is a really difficult ask, almost impossible to do... I eat pretty much anything edible. I also love travelling. I find it very difficult to separate food and the context. For instance, Italian is probably my most favourite type of food, but how could you reduce it to one meal? I certainly can’t... it’s the fresh plump tomatoes, it’s the lovely earthy olive oil, it’s the cheap delicious vino, it’s the squirting burratta... but it’s not *just* the food... It’s the bustling piazza, it’s the pleasant mild air, it’s the people; the locals and your companion... it’s the fact that it’s fine to sleep-in the following day and spend the first couple of hours nursing a mild hangover, because you know a quick dip in the Adriatic is all you need to make yourself feel whole again. What meal would I choose to have in a cold dark cell a couple of hours before they inject poison into my veins? I don’t think I could have Italian, it’d just be too sad. In that context, I’d probably have to say... a Full Irish Breakfast.

- 1x pork and fennel sausage with high meat content

- 2x middle bacon cooked to perfection

- 1x fried egg over hard

- 1x black pudding

- 1x white pudding

- toasted sourdough

- tomatoes

- mushrooms

- properly reduced beans in a ramekin.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Right, they aren't a 'bigger' club. Not at all. Richer? yes, for being in the richest league in the world. And no, they haven't won more trophies not by a fucking long shot. 

Jesus wept 

Yeah mate, Villa have won the European Cup, the League 7 times and the FA Cup 7 times. They are probably the 5th biggest team in England. This is bigger than the second biggest team in Scotland.

8 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah mate, Villa have won the European Cup, the League 7 times and the FA Cup 7 times. They are probably the 5th biggest team in England. This is bigger than the second biggest team in Scotland.

They aren't the 5th biggest team in England at all mate. Not far off but not the 5th biggest. They also haven't won more trophies than r*ngers. You might cock your nose up to scottish titles and cups but do you think fans of them give a fuck about the english league title or cups? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They aren't the 5th biggest team in England at all mate. Not far off but not the 5th biggest. They also haven't won more trophies than r*ngers. You might cock your nose up to scottish titles and cups but do you think fans of them give a fuck about the english league title or cups? 

Look it’s an argument, but would you take Villa, or Anderlecht or Rangers? 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Take them to what? Remember Jose, I fucking despise r*ngers 

Take them to a park and show them your underpants.

What I guess I’m saying is that Rangers are third level, they are not as “big” as us , Real Madrid, Ajax, Milan, etc.

Rangers are not on the level of PSV or Inter Milan or Atletico Madrid from European success.

Villa are proper old school football, old European champions, and the standing of the premier league these days as well, they are bigger than Rangers at present.

28 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Take them to a park and show them your underpants.

What I guess I’m saying is that Rangers are third level, they are not as “big” as us , Real Madrid, Ajax, Milan, etc.

Rangers are not on the level of PSV or Inter Milan or Atletico Madrid from European success.

Villa are proper old school football, old European champions, and the standing of the premier league these days as well, they are bigger than Rangers at present.

Ok, if you think Villa are a bigger club than r*ngers then fair enough. You're wrong, but fair enough. I couldn't care less to be honest. 

For people to say they've won more trophies than r*ngers is absolute lunacy. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Rangers have been around for 149 years and have won 119 trophies if that helps put that into perspective.

Pretty sure up until recently they were acknowledged as having won more trophies than any other professional football side in the world