You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

13 hours ago, Boss said:

I don't think some people understand that we're in a very precarious situation when Klopp walks. Teams like Juventus, Bayern, Real Madrid and Barcelona can take chances on unheralded managers because the lowest they'll finish is top 4. They'll play Champions League football regardless of who their manager is. We don't have that luxury. We fuck up this next appointment and we're 8th - if we're lucky. We have the 10th highest net spend in the league. Before Konate it was about 14th. 

We need someone that can perform miracles on a shoestring budget. Some of you lot think that FSG are responsible for the success. You'll be in for a rude awakening when Klopp leaves. Klopp has succeeded in spite of FSG, not because of them.

Losing klopp is a disaster no matter who comes in after. He's not just a brilliant manager, but he has the ability to work with the handcuffs placed on him by FSG. I don't think there is anything in the CVs of Flick, Zidane or any of the other names you've thrown about that suggest they have the capability to manage in that situation. On the plus side though, I see no reason why the coaching and fitness staff will be dismantled, so we will hopefully not need another klopp. 

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Simeone is obviously one of the best managers in the world, and if you asked a thousand people who was a better manager between him and Gerrard, 998 would go for Simeone.

But he plays an absolutely dire style, and what makes you think he would want to come here anyway?

Seems a bit of a weird argument to be making.

I can't begin to think why Simeone is in the discussion. He's on a basic salary of about £20m per year and has earned as much as 40m some years with bonuses. FSG aren't paying that for a manager. The only way he becomes any type of an answer is if he gets fired and that wouldn't appear too likely. 

13 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Are we going to ask our next manager to go somewhere else for seven years first?

Simeone is one of the best managers in the world.

Don't think anyone would disagree however, as said before he's a shithouse, managing shithouse players and shithouse tactics.

I do find anyone banging his drum has a strange opinion of how we want to see football played.

But to each his own.

• Upvote 1

We haven't played great attacking football since the season we lost in the Champions League final to Real Madrid. Most of our play nowadays is attritional. We play the ball side to side and whip in crosses. Simeone played alright when he knocked us out of the Champions League. They pinned us back when we went 2-0 up at their place with waves of attacks. It's not as if he plays dogshit hoofball or anything. His players dive and play-act - see every other club in La Liga. 

32 minutes ago, Boss said:

We haven't played great attacking football since the season we lost in the Champions League final to Real Madrid. Most of our play nowadays is attritional. We play the ball side to side and whip in crosses. Simeone played alright when he knocked us out of the Champions League. They pinned us back when we went 2-0 up at their place with waves of attacks. It's not as if he plays dogshit hoofball or anything. His players dive and play-act - see every other club in La Liga. 

He dives and play-acts as well the cunt 

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Don't think anyone would disagree however, as said before he's a shithouse, managing shithouse players and shithouse tactics.

I do find anyone banging his drum has a strange opinion of how we want to see football played.

But to each his own.

I don't think there is even the slightest chance of him ever managing us. I was merely questioning preferring Potter who has achieved almost nothing in the game. 

I'm not all that arsed about the moralising of how his teams played. He has twice broken the stranglehold of a supposed two team league, and done well in European competitions as well. He's clearly one of the best managers in the world and if he did come here would, albeit in a different style, keep us as one of the best teams around. 

Anyway, it won't be him. It's far more likely to be someone like Potter. 

Is there any manager who Klopp has struggled against more than Potter? We have dropped seven point front the last three games against them. They have mostly championship level players. With a decent striker they would’ve qualified for Europe last season. 

9 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think there is even the slightest chance of him ever managing us. I was merely questioning preferring Potter who has achieved almost nothing in the game. 

I'm not all that arsed about the moralising of how his teams played. He has twice broken the stranglehold of a supposed two team league, and done well in European competitions as well. He's clearly one of the best managers in the world and if he did come here would, albeit in a different style, keep us as one of the best teams around. 

Anyway, it won't be him. It's far more likely to be someone like Potter. 

I think moralising is inaccurate. Football ultimately is entertainment, and watching grown men dive and cheat is just not at all entertaining. It’s what’s hurting Spanish football at the moment and Atletico are the worst culprits.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think moralising is inaccurate. Football ultimately is entertainment, and watching grown men dive and cheat is just not at all entertaining. It’s what’s killing Spanish football at the moment and Atletico are the worst at it.

For you. 

Most Spanish football fans would find your view that it is "killing Spanish football" utterly ludicrous.

10 hours ago, Boss said:

We've scored 2 goals or more in every game but one this season. We're a far better attacking team than Atletico despite the fact they spend big money on forwards every season. Simeone has made an effort to be more attacking, but the football is still shite. Attacking is not why they're good.

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think moralising is inaccurate. Football ultimately is entertainment, and watching grown men dive and cheat is just not at all entertaining. It’s what’s hurting Spanish football at the moment and Atletico are the worst culprits.

What's hurting Spanish football is that almost no one has any money. There have always been massive shithouse teams in Spain, it's never hurt the quality or popularity of their football.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I edited it to “hurting” but not fast enough.

Fair enough. You're going to have to accept that your view simply isn't shared by fans in Spain. They simply don't care about the sort of stuff that you don't like in Spanish football. 

They'd find watching Burnley against Wolves a slightly odd way to spend an hour and a half.

41 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We've scored 2 goals or more in every game but one this season. We're a far better attacking team than Atletico despite the fact they spend big money on forwards every season. Simeone has made an effort to be more attacking, but the football is still shite. Attacking is not why they're good.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Our football has been much more attritional, and less exciting, than years past. Football isn't about being exciting; it's about winning. Give me Simeone's Atletico any day over Rodgers Liverpool or Keegan's Newcastle. Look who's top of the league, and ask yourself why.

Do you think Chelsea fans will care - that they were defensive-minded - if they win the league?  We beat everyone that season we won the league and none of our rivals gave us any credit. It was all: LiVARpool, Laporte was out so it was easy for them. They're all on PED's.

Fuck 'em. Beat them any way we can.