You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

15 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I disagree. We werent that bad at actually defending but the ability to handle any kind of pressure was severely lacking. Our goalkeeper was worth at least 10 points a season, to the opposition.

Don't get me started on David James again, my hatred for him in a Liverpool shirt is limitless.  

8 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Hard to argue with that, but prefer to remember the good times.

So, did you want Maureen?

Nope but in an alternate universe it would have been interesting to see what would have happened. 

We wouldn't have had Istanbul but he may have won us the league and he would have been idolised here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boss said:

Yeah, I think Frank would've done exactly the same at Rangers. Gerrard pilfered our academy for players. I bet if Frank took Gilmour, Mount and Conor Gallagher to Scotland they'd be smashing teams left and right. He also easily outspent Celtic and they had a massive turnover of players. The minimum expectancy was a title challenge. 

Ten Hag's team destroyed Real Madrid - a feat we've failed to do under Klopp - and were a whisker away from a Champions League final. Pochettino got to a Champions League final with Spurs - which is crazy when you think about it. 

Fwank couldnt get Derby out of the Championship with a couple of chelsea players on loan.

Ten Hag will need to prove himself in a stronger league. If he legitimately wins a couple more titles in the Netherlands, I dont see how that makes him a prime candidate for being manager here. Ajax current sit level on points with PSV so it remains to be seen what he does.

I don't think anyone wants Gerrard to be given the job without having proven his credentials as a manager, but I can't understand people that dismiss him outright. Like even if he does well you'd not want him?

I guess there's Dave's view, which makes a bit more sense. But don't get it otherwise.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Boss said:

Flick was assistant to Low for nearly a decade and managed Hoffenheim for five years, hardly inexperienced. I agree with needing a manager that can continue the journey though. I have, maybe, an irrational fear of Gerrard managing us after the Souness era and watching the club do nothing for a decade trying to reanimate the spirit of the boot room. Nostalgia doesn't usually pay well in football. Pirlo at Juve and Lampard at Chelsea are two very recent examples. If Gerrard had the mentality of Xavi I could get on board with it but he thought Joe Cole was as talented as Messi and backed Curbishley and Hodgson. I don't think he's going to be the next Guardiola or Klopp but - as they say - the future is unwritten.

So what Flick was an assistant to an international manager? International football is an irrelevance. Next you'll be suggesting we should get in Steve Holland for masterminded england to their best tournament since 66. And hoffenhiem? So time at hoffenhiem is in the plus column, but rangers title wins and time at villa wouldn't be? Don't be silly. 

Lampard failed at Chelsea because his only job on his CV was failed time at derby. What Gerrard has done already is chalk and cheese and he's not our manager today. They started at the same time, lampard has been there and been fired all while Stevie is learning his trade. 

As for the Souness part, he failed because he's a fucking prick with no man management skills. Kenny had no management experience and was a success. He was a success though in the backdrop of a stable backroom team, which if fsg do their job the next manager will have too. Listen to any of the players who came in while Gerrard was captain. Don't worry about his man management skills. They all loved him as a man as well as a player. 

And as for the Joe Cole comment, klopp turned down mane once and had to be persuaded to buy Salah. It's ok for people to make incorrect assessments, it's how they deal with them and what they learn from the experience. Klopp also said he'd never spend stupid money on players till we sold Coutinho and he got to go wild signing vvd and alisson. 

About the most rational thing you've posted on this subject is saying you have an irrational fear. That should tell you everything you need to know on this subject. 

42 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I don't think anyone wants Gerrard to be given the job without having proven his credentials as a manager, but I can't understand people that dismiss him outright. Like even if he does well you'd not want him?

I guess there's Dave's view, which makes a bit more sense. But don't get it otherwise.

Assuming their is an aim for him to step in when his and klopp's contracts expire in the summer of '24, what do you think he needs to have done with villa? My biggest issue with him going to villa, is I don't really get what is achievable in that job that would make him look any better than what he could have done at rangers. The only positive I see he can take from it is living and breathing the premier league for 2 seasons. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

So what Flick was an assistant to an international manager? International football is an irrelevance. Next you'll be suggesting we should get in Steve Holland for masterminded england to their best tournament since 66. And hoffenhiem? So time at hoffenhiem is in the plus column, but rangers title wins and time at villa wouldn't be? Don't be silly. 

Lampard failed at Chelsea because his only job on his CV was failed time at derby. What Gerrard has done already is chalk and cheese and he's not our manager today. They started at the same time, lampard has been there and been fired all while Stevie is learning his trade. 

As for the Souness part, he failed because he's a fucking prick with no man management skills. Kenny had no management experience and was a success. He was a success though in the backdrop of a stable backroom team, which if fsg do their job the next manager will have too. Listen to any of the players who came in while Gerrard was captain. Don't worry about his man management skills. They all loved him as a man as well as a player. 

And as for the Joe Cole comment, klopp turned down mane once and had to be persuaded to buy Salah. It's ok for people to make incorrect assessments, it's how they deal with them and what they learn from the experience. Klopp also said he'd never spend stupid money on players till we sold Coutinho and he got to go wild signing vvd and alisson. 

About the most rational thing you've posted on this subject is saying you have an irrational fear. That should tell you everything you need to know on this subject. 

You were saying Flick had no experience before Bayern, I was merely pointing out he had 13 years of high-level experience under his belt. Nothing silly about it. It's silly that you think he just arrived at Bayern with no experience in 2019.

The things you're seemingly pulling up Klopp for are signing Mane, Alisson, Van Dijk and Salah. That's some astronomical leap to connect those things to wanting Hodgson to replace Benitez and wanting Alan Curbishley as our manager. 

5 hours ago, Boss said:

He also easily outspent Celtic and they had a massive turnover of players. The minimum expectancy was a title challenge. 

Huh?

Gerrard spent like 10 mil at most in any window. Celtic sold Tierney to cover the best part of all three windows. They never had a massive turnover - it was Tierney, Frimpong and Dembele.

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Huh?

Gerrard spent like 10 mil at most in any window. Celtic sold Tierney to cover the best part of all three windows. They never had a massive turnover - it was Tierney, Frimpong and Dembele.

I meant Rangers had a massive turnover of players. He signed 19 players in his first season.

56 minutes ago, Boss said:

You were saying Flick had no experience before Bayern, I was merely pointing out he had 13 years of high-level experience under his belt. Nothing silly about it. It's silly that you think he just arrived at Bayern with no experience in 2019.

The things you're seemingly pulling up Klopp for are signing Mane, Alisson, Van Dijk and Salah. That's some astronomical leap to connect those things to wanting Hodgson to replace Benitez and wanting Alan Curbishley as our manager. 

You seem to be moving the goalposts on what high level experience is. Being the number 2 in an international setup just isn't high level experience. And hoffenhiem is no better than Fulham, where our beloved Owl came from or curbisbly for that matter. Fucking hoffenhiem. 

Look we're not going to agree on this as you can't even agree with yourself on what are the experience prerequisites for the role. Let's just leave it at this. 

I don't buy into the idea that Klopp leaves in 2024.

Where's he going to go, exactly? Italy doesn't give him anything, the big 2 in Spain are the antithesis of the man (you can include PSG and Bayern Munich in that too), and he's done what he needed to do in Germany.

He'll leave here when he's ready to retire, in my opinion.

As for anyone who doesn't rate Zidane as manager, what the fuck is that based on exactly?

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

I don't buy into the idea that Klopp leaves in 2024.

Where's he going to go, exactly? Italy doesn't give him anything, the big 2 in Spain are the antithesis of the man (you can include PSG and Bayern Munich in that too), and he's done what he needed to do in Germany.

He'll leave here when he's ready to retire, in my opinion.

As for anyone who doesn't rate Zidane as manager, what the fuck is that based on exactly?

You'd imagine he'd fancy a chance at the German national job when his time is done here. 

Oddly enough, I reckon he'd fancy the English job. No idea why, but he loves the challenge of restoring glory. And what's more glorious than managing an English team to winning the world cup 

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

You'd imagine he'd fancy a chance at the German national job when his time is done here. 

Oddly enough, I reckon he'd fancy the English job. No idea why, but he loves the challenge of restoring glory. And what's more glorious than managing an English team to winning the world cup 

Yeah, I'm not buying it. International football gives him nothing he values in the game. In fact, I reckon he hates it as much as I do.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Assuming their is an aim for him to step in when his and klopp's contracts expire in the summer of '24, what do you think he needs to have done with villa? My biggest issue with him going to villa, is I don't really get what is achievable in that job that would make him look any better than what he could have done at rangers. The only positive I see he can take from it is living and breathing the premier league for 2 seasons. 

Trophies, Europe, showing leadership. Earning a job at a big club in Europe? I don't know for sure, but how do you rule out the possibility entirely. Even if he flops and goes elsewhere, I don't think it would rule anything out.

Doesn't have to be taking over Klopp anyway, can be down the road from that.