You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, Haan'sThunderbolt said:

Wish him well - but I'd have preferred him to move to another club, probably in Europe ( I liked Neil from TAW's suggestion about Germany)  to finish his education before taking a job in the PL.

While that's sensible from a footballing point of view (and not having to play against him/us), I don't think that'd work for Gerrard. He's a home bird. He was pretty miserable in LA and back every chance he got. 

15 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Think he should stay at Rangers until at least the end of the season. I know there isn't much loyalty in football but they did give him a chance in management and have backed him with money. He also has European football to help him develop. 

While I agree that he should have stayed at Rangers for a little longer, I don't think he's been disloyal just because they gave him a chance in management. They hired him primarily to stop Celtic winning 10 in a row, and he achieved that in spectacular fashion. He's taken a club that was miles behind Celtic and made them the best club in Scotland by far.

7 minutes ago, Baltar said:

While I agree that he should have stayed at Rangers for a little longer, I don't think he's been disloyal just because they gave him a chance in management. They hired him primarily to stop Celtic winning 10 in a row, and he achieved that in spectacular fashion. He's taken a club that was miles behind Celtic and made them the best club in Scotland by far.

Nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Doesn't mean we should appoint a manager with no experience in a proper football league though does it? We're savvier than that. This is a good move from his point of view. 

"No need to prove himself, he's Steven Gerrard" – thank Christ you're not in charge of recruiting our managers, because that preordainment could land us in a world of shit if he, you know, doesn't turn out to be a very good football manager. 

Reds who want Gerrard back at Liverpool should be happy with this move. It's another realistic step towards it happening. 

I didn't mention Liverpool at all. I'm talking about him. 

38 minutes ago, Baltar said:

He did really well, but he joined at a time when Celtic were completely imploding after getting fat and complacent after continuous domestic success. 

Villa is probably a good fit for him. I think he’ll have a hugely positive impact initially given his status as a brilliant footballer who current players grew up watching, but time will tell on whether he has everything else outside of motivational skills to be a top level manager. 

Football fans love to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I remember a celtic fan in our Labour club going on a real, vitriolic rant about the King when he left celtic to come to Liverpool. The bile was incredible and I had to step back to avoid the flying spittle!

Looking at some reports, it appears a few rangers fans have similarly turned on Stevie. I can understand the view that maybe he should have stayed to the end of the season but the plain fact is, opportunities in football present themselves at what to some are the wrong time.

But elite sport tends to be one of grasp the opportunity while you can because if you dont, it wont be there when you want it to be.

I imagine Stevie will be Liverpool manager one day. Whether that's when Jurgen decides to leave or some time later. I'll hold the same trepidation as I did when the King became manager. You dont want to see a legend's reputation trashed because things dont work out.

Stevie's move to Villa is a good one for him. He's taken a club that wasnt doing too well and turned them into title winners. Not sure I go with the idea celtic had become bloated on success so he was bound to succeed. If that kind of vacuum existed, other clubs could have stepped into the breech but they didnt, Stevie's team did.

Barring a miracle, he's not turning Villa into title winners but there again, you never know. Since their promotion, I get the impression Villa have been dining out on that 7-2 result against us with nothing else to shout about.

At least those Villa fans will now have a legitimate reason to celebrate his birthday. They're still a bunch of cunts though and I hope they feel very sheepish about it.

All the best Stevie, except when you play us.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Gerrard has regularly said that managing Liverpool is his dream job however he has an awful lot to prove to even be considered for the job once Jurgen Klopp departs.

He can say that to be nice. The reality is; he doesn't.

Lampard managed Derby, Pep managed Barca B, Zidane Real Madrid B, Pirlo, a Juve youth team before managing Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid and Juve. They didn't have to prove shit. Neither does Gerrard. Gerrard will be wasting his time at Villa. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He can say that to be nice. The reality is; he doesn't.

Lampard managed Derby, Pep managed Barca B, Zidane Real Madrid B, Pirlo, a Juve youth team before managing Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid and Juve. They didn't have to prove shit. Neither does Gerrard. Gerrard will be wasting his time at Villa. 

Well he will be learning how to manage a premier league club for a start 

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont want him to manage us unless it turns out he's bloody good at it first. Nostalgia fucks clubs up. Anyway good luck to him and fuck those rangers fans spewing bile now, he prevented the dreaded 10 in a row.

Unbeaten league season.

Klopp fucked up our chance of doing the same.

Bottled it at Watford.

Shithouse.