You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

Good move for him I think. A decent stepping stone perhaps. Rangers fans might disagree but the timing is about right as well.

He’s probably got 2.5 seasons to prove he can replace Klopp. 

Needs to keep Villa up first mind. 

p.s. I was worried he might have replaced Bielsa at Leeds next season so another reason to be sort of pleased. 

• Upvote 1

He's not gone there yet. If he does, I hope he does a decent job. I can gradually go back to wanting him to succeed again. Strange move though and no matter what Chris says, Villa aren't a bigger club than either of the Old Firm. Bigger league? Absolutely. Bigger club? Not a fucking chance. 

If he can get Villa challenging for Europe in the next 2/3 years then it's possible he could do well here. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He's not gone there yet. If he does, I hope he does a decent job. I can gradually go back to wanting him to succeed again. Strange move though and no matter what Chris says, Villa aren't a bigger club than either of the Old Firm. Bigger league? Absolutely. Bigger club? Not a fucking chance. 

If he can get Villa challenging for Europe in the next 2/3 years then it's possible he could do well here. 

Fan Of Old Firm Club Says Old Firm Clubs Are Huge.

This is a giant leap forward for Gerrard.

29 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Hate Villa after they kicked me out when @RedKnight flogged me some stolen tickets. Hard to take for me this. 

I think the 2001 FA Cup Semi-Final was the last time I saw a match a Villa Park. I’ve never been a fan of Birmingham, though. I had the worst chippy food I’ve ever had from a place in Digbeth. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I think the 2001 FA Cup Semi-Final was the last time I saw a match a Villa Park. I’ve never been a fan of Birmingham, though. I had the worst chippy food I’ve ever had from a place in Digbeth. 

Digbeth is a brilliant place. Loads going on there now. 

6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

It has been gentrified, hasn’t it? It was a bit of a shithole when I was last there.

Yeah, there's a really good brewery there now called Dig Brew. The Dining Club is ace too and there's loads to do of a night too. Historically it was a really cool place too. I wrote about it last year. 

Cheap plug: https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/2020/7/13/beer-pizza-and-reforging-digbeth-in-the-city-of-1000-trades

• Upvote 2

Just now, Chris said:

Decent sized clubs, relatively speaking. Nothing more. You're living in the past. They're only relevant to each other.

You're just showing your ignorance. Both have been to European finals since Villa won their European Cup. Both are huge globally, Villa aren't. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They are huge cubs. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. 

Yea, big cubs. At most you can suggest Celtic are better represented worldwide. They have won nothing in Europe for near 60 years.

Villa won a few since then and make double the revenue. FFS Villa were to crack the top 20 revenue sides in the world like 5 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You're just showing your ignorance. Both have been to European finals since Villa won their European Cup. Both are huge globally, Villa aren't. 

Have you got anything to back that up mate? Huge globally? Exactly who is watching Scottish football around the world. I'm in the US most of the year. Premier League's fucking enormous now. Villa games are often on the equivalent of ITV. I've never had a conversation with anyone about Rangers or Celtic. Premier League? 3-4 times a week. 

If you're going on the basis of 'there's loads of Scots and Irish in other countries then they must have a huge global following' then that's a bit flawed. Honestly mate, god love ya, but no one cares about them apart from each other.

To use an American analogy, it's practically minors to majors for Gerrard. 

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Have you got anything to back that up mate? Huge globally? Exactly who is watching Scottish football around the world. I'm in the US most of the year. Premier League's fucking enormous now. Villa games are often on the equivalent of ITV. I've never had a conversation with anyone about Rangers or Celtic. Premier League? 3-4 times a week. 

If you're going on the basis of 'there's loads of Scots and Irish in other countries then they must have a huge global following' then that's a bit flawed. Honestly mate, god love ya, but no one cares about them apart from each other.

To use an American analogy, it's practically minors to majors for Gerrard. 

Both have a far bigger global fanbase. If they came to the premier league they would overtake Villa in 2 seasons at most and Villa wouldn't get near them again. They're suffering from the league they're in.