You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerald Sinstadt

Bellflower

4 hours ago, Stickman said:

That was after Forest knocked us out the European Cup, then whenever Granada turned up to do are match and we were giving somebody a shellacking the Kop would sing "the party's only just begun"

Bit unfair for anybody to say he hated us and comparing him to Tyler, unlike Tyler he didn't sound like he was having root canal surgery when we scored, I mean just listen to him when Fairclough scored a last minute winner v the Bitters

And Kick Off was a great football show on a Friday night 

RIP to a great old school commenter ...

Look at that indeed, breaking the shites hearts for decades.

13 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He settled in Stoke on Trent but didnt reveal an allegiance to anybody according to Wikipedia.

Correct, he didnt. As a regular watcher of Granada's Sunday Game, I cant say Sinstadt showed any bias for or against us and apart from the Granada studios being in Manchester, dont get why some people who probably never heard him commentate on our games think he was.

13 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

A Manc mate at Uni said Sindstadt was a season ticket holder there. I already hated him but that just confirmed it. Tyler for the less hyperbolic age.

Wonder how he got to use his united season ticket when he was commentating on games every Saturday at 3pm?!

He was nothing like Tyler.

12 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

If you imagine the kop as it is now I must have been in every block during the game. Top, bottom, left and right.

Same. Our speck was centre of the Kop goal, level with the stanchions.

I was with my Dad. and we got separated and pulled all over the place.

What a night though. It had everything that game, highs, lows, praying for the final whistle then relief followed by sheer joy. The atmosphere was the best I'd ever experienced to that point, absolutely electric.

They were brilliant times.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

It was rather scary, exciting and ecstatic at the same time.

I was built like a racing snake at the time so it was easy, even when a corner was being taken, to find yourself 20 steps below the one you were on before the ball went out of play.  You just had to focus on not falling over, and hope no-one around you wanted a piss.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I was built like a racing snake at the time so it was easy, even when a corner was being taken, to find yourself 20 steps below the one you were on before the ball went out of play.  You just had to focus on not falling over, and hope no-one around you wanted a piss.

The trick was never to get behind the crush barriers. Games against the mancs, Leeds and the bitters were a true test of fitness.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

yep, get on the barrier, or just in front of it

Took my wife to be on the Kop for the European cup game against Forest back then. It finished nil nil she has never let me forget how the movement of the crowd scared her shitless. 

16 hours ago, stringvest said:

Ha ha, ain't that the truth. 

16 hours ago, stringvest said:

yep, get on the barrier, or just in front of it

As a kid being on the barrier if you could. Hands on the shoulders of the fella in front.  When they pushed forward you got pushed off so you had to be quick to jump back on when they come back. If you missed it you had to duck under or you got  crushed. 
I fucked up a few times. Got passed out once. Had to bluff the St. John’s ambulance I wasn’t well. We scored so we ran on the pitch then jumped back into the lop.  Miracle cure. Happy days. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/11/2021 at 00:14, Lee909 said:

Brilliant commenter. 

They were all much better in them days imo. Today they seem to just talk for the sake of it and often get in each other way. 

Summed up after the first goal by how much dead air time(nearly 15 seconds) he gives and just let's the atmosphere tell the story

On 11/11/2021 at 00:14, Lee909 said:

Brilliant commenter. 

They were all much better in them days imo. Today they seem to just talk for the sake of it and often get in each other way. 

Summed up after the first goal by how much dead air time(nearly 15 seconds) he gives and just let's the atmosphere tell the story

Like this clip too when he mainly lets the crowd do the talking