You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Classic" films that you have never seen.

Total Longo

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'd rather listen to Michael Jackson than Mozart, music experts could explain to me at length the mechanics of why I'm wrong, quavers and all that business, but it doesn't change the fact that that's simply what I prefer. 

Rocky films (after the first one) are pop music. I like pop music. 

If you don't like Quavers, you're a wrong'un.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not in to horror or 'psychological' films so never seen stuff like The Exorcist or the Hellraiser films, Freddy Kruger and all that bollocks. 

Watched Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time the other night. Had no interest in the story, just watched it for a few locations that I've been to.  Then just turned it off. Also never watched the Excorcist or Halloween.

They always seem to use the same couple of streets for films in Pasadena such as Back to the Future etc. 

31 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The boxing theme aside, Rocky and Raging Bull are quite different films. Rocky is an inspirational, rags-to-riches story, Raging Bull is anything but.

I wouldn't sneer at people who enjoy Rocky, the same way I wouldn't sneer at people who get joy from the crayon drawing on their fridge that their three year-old did; if they try to argue that it's superior to, say, Las Meninas, then I'd have questions.

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I wouldn't sneer at people who enjoy Rocky, the same way I wouldn't sneer at people who get joy from the crayon drawing on their fridge that their three year-old did; if they try to argue that it's superior to, say, Las Meninas, then I'd have questions.

The first Rocky film is a widely acclaimed classic. The crayon drawing analogy doesn't really stand up.

The sequels are daft popcorn stuff however & don't really belong in the same conversation.

Personally I enjoy Rocky & Raging Bull greatly but Tony is correct, they are hugely different films. Also, Section should really just watch Raging Bull.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Top Guns brilliant mate it’s a lot more than baby oil and the beach 

I'll take your word for it mate. Like i said earlier, the Tom Cruise element puts me off. 

Having looked through his filmography on wikipedia, there are so many that i haven't seen. 

There are three on the list that i genuinely enjoyed. Minority Report, War of the Worlds and Edge of Tomorrow. 

American Made wasn't awful either, but i can barely recall a thing about it. Surprising just how many of his 80's and 90's efforts that i didn't bother with, though.

2 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I'll take your word for it mate. Like i said earlier, the Tom Cruise element puts me off. 

Having looked through his filmography on wikipedia, there are so many that i haven't seen. 

There are three on the list that i genuinely enjoyed. Minority Report, War of the Worlds and Edge of Tomorrow. 

American Made wasn't awful either, but i can barely recall a thing about it. Surprising just how many of his 80's and 90's efforts that i didn't bother with, though.

You’ll be telling me you haven’t seen Cocktail next 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

The first Rocky film is a widely acclaimed classic. The crayon drawing analogy doesn't really stand up.

The sequels are daft popcorn stuff however & don't really belong in the same conversation.

Personally I enjoy Rocky & Raging Bull greatly but Tony is correct, they are hugely different films. Also, Section should really just watch Raging Bull.

Even the first Rocky is a formulaic fairy tale with nothing but the soundtrack to distinguish it from a hundred other competent, enjoyable films. It's reputation is almost entirely down to the way it caught the mood of an America that was desperate to return to the country's founding myths after the mess of Vietnam and Watergate and the unforgiving light shone on American culture by the Civil Rights movement.