You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Oct 30 - Nov 1 2021)

tlw content

I’ll kick this off with the mancs, who ran away with the ‘El Sackico’ against Spurs. It’s funny because the first time I heard that expression I thought it was daft as I honestly didn’t think Nuno was actually under that much pressure so early in the season.

Turns out he was. Either that, or losing badly to this United side is seen as a sackable offence all on its own. Daniel Levy should be sacking himself as well as Nuno though as he was the one who hired the fella even though virtually everyone else was thinking “what the fuck is he doing appointing him?”.

Nuno went in there and did what he does. He tried to set Spurs up like Wolves and in time he probably would have done just that. Of course, Wolves were boring as shit and could only really play on the counter attack. And when teams got wise to that, Wolves started to struggle and Nuno was moved on. None of this is a secret though.

So absolutely none of this mess at Tottenham is down to Nuno Holy Spirit. Not even the tiniest bit. He is who he is and nothing he’s done there should have taken anybody by surprise. Levy fucked up and it’s cost him a fortune because not only has he had to pay Nuno off, he’s now had to throw a load of money at Conte to replace him. 

Turns out he’s not the “shrewd businessman” he’s portrayed as. That reputation clearly  isn’t based on business acumen, it’s based on just being a stubborn cunt who won’t budge on transfer fees. The irony is, as each week goes by he probably wishes he’d rinsed Man City out of £140m and got rid of Sir Harold of Hotspur because the fella doesn’t seem to have any motivation left.

For all the (deserved) criticism they've had, United only have to be reasonably well organised and set up tactically to win plenty of games because they will score goals. This was a perfect example of that. They were set up better than they were against us but they were also up against a side not even remotely at our level. Spurs are a bit shit this year and, similar to United, they don’t equal the sum of their parts.

The amusing thing is that because he’s scoring loads of goals Ronaldo is seen as the only thing standing between United and obscurity. The truth is if you took him out of the team they’d be no better or worse. What they’d lose on the swings they’d gain on the roundabouts. 

All that’s happened is Ronaldo is scoring the goals now rather than them being spread around like they were before he came. He hasn’t made them better, he’s just made himself the hero that’s wrongly seen as their 'saviour'. Reminder; they finished second last season and third the season before. Ronaldo isn’t making them better than they were. If anything, he’s making them worse. But he looks like the hero and he’s banging in goals and that’s all that matters, right?

I don’t usually watch their highlights when they win but I did this time. Not sure why, I think it’s mainly because they’re just absolutely no threat to us so there’s no reason to avoid watching them, especially when the mute button means I can avoid having to listen to their fans.

Ronaldo opened the scoring with a brilliant volley. Not spectacular, just clinical as fuck. He then turned provider to send Cavani clear for 2-0. Rashford ran clear to make it 3-0 and the crowd turned on Nuno massively.

You could tell he was toast by that reaction. He subbed Moura and the fans went nuts. When that third goal went in it was proper hostile. He looked a broken man afterwards so there was no real shock when he got his walking papers a day or two later.

Hoijberg’s interview afterwards was a bit cryptic too. He was basically saying how shit they were and that it wasn’t acceptable. He didn’t say why that was but then goes “I better not say anymore”. It felt like he was pointing the finger at the manager without actually pointing the finger at the manager.

I like Nuno. I wouldn’t want to support a team he was in charge of, but he seems like a good guy. He’s made a fortune for a few months’ work so good luck to him. Spurs are a joke, but then other than that spell under Poch they always have been.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
  • dave u unpinned this topic