You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham (A) - Sun 7th Nov 2021 (4:30pm)

Trumo

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I told you at the beginning of the season that the midfield is fucked under any pressure and consequently, we would be great at times without winning anything. It just takes some a little long to catch on. The United game is meaningless to that point - it simply shows the kind of sides we will thrive against.

Arsenal and Tottenham took on £295 million at 0.5% interest. You did not understand the meaning of my post.

Arsenal and Spurs took loans and bought who? Only  City , Chelsea , United and PSG were really active FFP and covid doesn't apply to them.

That idiot Atwell says VAR cleared Cresswell of a red card because his tackle 'lacked the required force'. How exactly does someone watching on the VAR monitor decide what is the 'required force'? Do they look to see if Hendo's foot is separated from his shin? Have they got an x-ray facility alongside their stupid blue and red lines? The crap they come out with to excuse their own incompetence is astonishing.

• Upvote 2

On 05/11/2021 at 16:39, manwiththestick said:

David Moyes stands between us and a record breaking unbeaten run.

I had a bad feeling this was going to be a banana skin of a game. Our two fullbacks playing like proper jerks. Robbo needs resting and Trent needs to do his main job first, actually defend, the amount of times he left Matip completely exposed was ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Arsenal and Spurs took loans and bought who? Only  City , Chelsea , United and PSG were really active FFP and covid doesn't apply to them.

Arsenal had a net spend of 125 mil this year - they used the rest to cover losses.

That said they paid 50 mil for Ben White so it might not be a shining example of exceptional value during Covid.

Spurs bought a fullback and Levy swallowed the rest.

40 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I told you at the beginning of the season that the midfield is fucked under any pressure and consequently, we would be great at times without winning anything. It just takes some a little long to catch on. The United game is meaningless to that point - it simply shows the kind of sides we will thrive against.

Arsenal and Tottenham took on £295 million at 0.5% interest. You did not understand the meaning of my post.

Id like to see documentary proof, not internet mythology that arsenal and spurs took on loans at 0.5% interest rate. The only loans I know that Spurs took on where business loans under the corona virus scheme which, apart from being taxpayer mone,y has to be repaid and not used to buy players. Im aware arsenal took out loans to buy some players in the summer window.

Which arsenal players would you have in our team that they bought with their £125m? Which spurs players would you have in our team that they bought with their supposed share of the remaining £170m+?

Having had time to digest that - it was fucking shit. 

Bullied out of it by West Ham who had more heart. 

Klopp HAS to figure out how to deal with sides that play like that. The magic and eternal mystery that is the low block. 

Either that or we have to hope we do something in Europe because we sure as shit aren't winning the premiership again. 

Well, obviously disappointing, and we’ve missed a chance to grab 2 points on Chelsea and put the pressure on.

We lost the game in the first half by failing to capitalise on being the much better team, WHU freak goal aside. We really needed to go into halftime with another goal, just to dent their confidence and put them on the back foot. West Ham are a very confident team at the moment, and ours has been knocked a bit by too many draws, and goals conceded. Mane’s header should have given us another draw today to be fair, that was a miss we didn’t need. We were in control most of the first half, and their first goal will be debated for a long time. I’m calling foul, and no goal. We could have been 2 goals ahead at the break, and on another day we would have been.

Our goals were sublime. Origi’s goal reminded me of the winner in the European cup final - he’s not only strong in the box, but has amazing control and a sense of where the goal is. If Ronaldo had scored that yesterday, the whole of punditry would be wanking themselves. What does Ian Wright say about it? “It was a very good goal.” Trent’s goal was brilliantly executed as well. World class.

No, our problems are defensive and it starts with weak challenges in midfield - we either get too tired too quickly and lose focus and / or physicality when the opponent is counter attacking, or, the combination of midfield is defensively lacking. Also, our set piece defending in this game was poor. We must have known that they would bring box physicality to their game, and we didn’t seem to have an answer.

Some big decisions did not go our way today, and the foul on Hendo was fucking shocking - that for me was a straight red. How Hendo hasn’t got a broken leg there is unbelievable. I’d be amazed if he starts an International over the next couple of weeks. Injuries are continually fucking us over. 

It’s not the end of the world. West Ham will fade. Luck won’t win them anything. We need a bit of luck ourselves now. We also need our coaching staff to give key players a bloody wake up call and learn to tackle. Our midfield is looking very lightweight defensively.

43 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Arsenal spent 100 million net on transfers. Tottenham spent 40 million net on transfers + Mourinho/Nuno/Conte salary packages + stadium spend.

Just now, Alex_K said:

Arsenal spent 100 million net on transfers. Tottenham spent 40 million net on transfers + Mourinho/Nuno/Conte salary packages + stadium spend.

So spurs spent their money getting 3 managers, paying off 2 with the rest on a stadium that's currently a financial millstone even if it does look impressive and stages NFL games! Erm, yeah ok, your logic stacks up!

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

So spurs spent their money getting 3 managers, paying off 2 with the rest on a stadium that's currently a financial millstone even if it does look impressive and stages NFL games! Erm, yeah ok, your logic stacks up!

? You’re confusing data with approval.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I don't think that's the point. Others spending on shite shouldn't be an excuse for us not to spend at all.

1 minute ago, ManéMan said:

I don't think that's the point. Others spending on shite shouldn't be an excuse for us not to spend at all.

Bingo. I don’t care who Arsenal & Tottenham bought - you’d be hard pressed to find more incompetent implementation teams in Europe. That is not the point. I care that a myth circulates that LFC were misplaced to spend funds, when never in human history were funds so easy to come by. West Ham spent 50 million net well. LFC should have been primed to build an epoch. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Paying off two failed managers is not investing. Neither is borrowing money to cover operating losses.

Sigh. You still don’t get it. As you were.

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Sigh. You still don’t get it. As you were.

Yea man I don't. 

Stating that the biggest economic downturn in history is the easiset time to borrow money is not that deep tbh.

Unfortunately the two examples you gave are exemplary of what you wouldn't do if you were investing.

Do you have a better example?

There is absolutely no need at all for us to need to take loans out to buy players.

There is also absolutely no financial reason at all we shouldn't be refreshing our squad/plugging holes we have.

That is not to say we just have money to throw around in carefree manner in huge amounts, but we really should have the money we need....our issue is clearly we have chose not to act/feel we don't need to.

• Upvote 2

Shit game ruined my weekend and the joys of work tomorrow.

We were poor but it still took 3 mistakes from Alisson for a Moyes team to beat us.  Whether individual mistakes or gung ho defending we are conceding far too many goals & chances this season.  Their is a lack of cohesion in our play and a togetherness in defneding.  Runners aren't being picked up and there is too much space for opposition players to break into.  The balance of the team isn't quite right somehow. 

Robbo needs a good rest. His form has dipped but quite honestly given the amount of games he's played over the last 4 years with very little break its understandable imo

I do think a lack of investment is starting to hurt us.  Unprecedented injuries at CB may have cost us last season but not replacing an experienced outgoing CB (probably due to lack of funds) really didn't help.  This season we haven't replaced an experienced & dependable CM and we look bare/weak in that department already.  Thiago & Fabinho need a run of games to get fit & sharp. the problem is they keep breaking down after a short run of games & we're back to square one.  A couple of years ago the midfield trio of Gini, Henderson & Fabinho were strong & imperious. No frills but they often dominated & smothered opponents. We look a long way off that right now. 

We need to regroup during the international period, maybe look at a slight tactical change/tweak and try and get as many players fit as possible ready for a hard winter slog.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Butch said:

Robbo hasn't been good this season and neither has Virgil, maybe a break would be good for them. Bit of a mess today and even mo wasn't at it. 

A break would be great for both. But they’ll play every minute of the matches they’ve been called up for unfortunately