You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham (A) - Sun 7th Nov 2021 (4:30pm)

Trumo

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but the last big signing I was this underwhelmed about was that Geordie gonk Carroll!

He was shit before we signed him I'm not sure how you wern't as low as it can get before he joined us.  The only was up for him and he still fucked it up this piece of shit.

Just now, Boss said:

FSG have killed us. There's just no turnover in this team. Whereas beforehand we were signing the best defender in the league, the best goalkeeper in Europe, the best defensive midfielder in France, the best winger in Serie A. Who are we signing nowadays? Youth players from Fulham. Even in Klopp's first summer, we signed Gini after he scored 11 goals from midfield for a relegated team. He was Dutch player of the year. We don't sign these type of players anymore.

We should have sold more players and replaced them because we're never going to stack up big squads.

4 minutes ago, Mark M said:

He was poor along with a number of others today - But the worst player by a country mile when our keeper has cost us 3 goals.

Not having that sorry.

Well, he was the lowest rated field player on either team - it is not that strange a statement.

Perspective - he played 90 minutes and and had 90 touches and 63 passes.

Thiago, catching shit, was on for 30 minutes - 45 touches and 44 passes.

9 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

yeah because 4 points from top in november is a disaster

No it isn't a disaster being only 4 behind. But can we win a league with a porous defending like this. Conceding 3 at Brentford, losing a 2 goal lead versus Brighton. 3 again today. It doesn't bode well, does it? 

Im mitigation we can and will be better. We have actually started well but these lapses have hurt us. We need some players back to fitness and we really could do with more quality off our bench. Chelsea and city's bench prove as much. 

Just now, J-V said:

He was shit before we signed him I'm not sure how you wern't as low as it can get before he joined us.  The only was up for him and he still fucked it up this piece of shit.

No arguments mate! I remember the day we signed him, I was overjoyed when the barcodes knocked £30m back for him, couldn't believe we went back and offered £35m. I was willing to give him a chance because the King was the manager, but he lived down to expectations!

Lack of investment is biting us in the arse just as well knew it would. Compare the spending on squad improvement between us and our rivals in recent years and we look like a poverty riddled club. FSG are fucking useless and nothing anyone can say will make me think different about them. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

How far we've fallen in barely a year.

We dropped 15 points in our title win of 2019-2020.

11 games in to this season and we've already dropped 11.

I think it's because the players were not only angry at missing out on the title the year before but, were far more focused on not dropping points. Take that 2-1 at Villa in 19/20. In the last 5 minutes of that game, we turned a 1 nil defeat into a 2-1 win. There were other games when we came from behind and wouldnt take a defeat. Yeah, it all unravelled at Watford but the league was as good as won by then.

I really find it hard to grasp that Jurgen and the coaching team didnt look to give protecion to Alli especially for the first couple of corners considering the big players west ham have and, how 'dangerous' they've been at set pieces this season. Im all for playing to our strengths but that oversight was bordering on criminal. We left Alli to push and shove Ogbonna and Zouma around in his 6 yard box. It's a fucking joke the PL have given that as an oggie.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Covid spawned the easiest-money environment in human history. It was the best environment in which to invest, not the worst.

Yeah. That's why the only 2 Premier League clubs to make substantial buys during that period are city and chelsea while all the other clubs are posting tens of millions of pound losses.

Some people seem to forget we signed Jota and Thiago in that period.

We didnt lose today because of that. Just over 2 week ago, people were creaming their kecks at 5-0 at old trafford and saying we should not have taken our foot of the gas. What's the difference?

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah. That's why the only 2 Premier League clubs to make substantial buys during that period are city and chelsea while all the other clubs are posting tens of millions of pound losses.

We didnt lose today because of that. Just over 2 week ago, people were creaming their kecks at 5-0 at old trafford and saying we should not have taken our foot of the gas. What's the difference?

Since then we've been fucking shocking!

Edit: Also I hate to say it, but was that our cup final?

• Downvote 2

We’re suffering from a lack of continuous improvement in the squad overall.

With the players we have, we play the same way every week and half decent teams, well organised teams, are able to give us problems because they’ve been able to see how we are set up and counter that.

Fair play, we’ve scored goals against teams too, because not all teams are able to maintain the discipline that is needed to keep us out, but whereas we blew away even decent teams a couple of seasons ago, we’re not able to do that now, unless you count United as a decent team of course.

Changes in personnel are a part of maintaining success to keep things fresh and allow changes, they keep other teams guessing, it also allows you to alter your tactics and have variation.

We haven’t had too many of those changes and, not to forget, we’ve had our share of injuries, which don’t help either.

With the AFCON coming up, we’re going to be further weakened and I can see us dropping further points, however, I’m not convinced there’s a stand out team either from what I’ve seen so far, so it’s imperative we go again after the break and put together another 25 game run, today was poor, but that becomes a concern if there are similar performances in the future, we aren’t out of it, but we can’t afford to be as sloppy as we were today in too many more games.

7 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Since then we've been fucking shocking!

Edit: Also I hate to say it, but was that our cup final?

So we've been "fucking shocking" for all of 2 games and we'll ignore the Atleti game shall we? Who would have thought a team might have a bad spell during a season, eh?

As for our cup final, you mean the one we eased up on in the last 30 minutes or some other game?

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

So we've been "fucking shocking" for all of 2 games and we'll ignore the Atleti game shall we? Who would have thought a team might have a bad spell during a season, eh?

As for our cup final, you mean the one we eased up on in the last 30 minutes or some other game?

Yeah we eased up, at 5-0 up when they were content to kick the shite out of us! The 5-0 scoreline being the reason I asked if that was our cup final! We weren't great against Atleti either, but they were worse. The less said about Brighton and today.

You can't deny we've been very average, every time we've conceded we've drawn or lost in the league, and those teams we've beaten, United aside, are hardly big names are they?

Terrible all over the pitch today and frustrating watching Klopp letting the game drift by again when things start going against us. After all he’s won, it still freaks my nut out to this day how this is still a week spot of his. 

IMO, Robbo, Henderson & Mane were the ones who should have been hauled off today. They offered nothing and got worse as the game went on. 

Have we let ourselves get a bit too arrogant against the smaller teams after having a great result the game before. Cruising against Brighton then falling off a cliff at 2-0 up and getting back into that today only for us to take our foot of their throats once we equalised. 

3 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Yeah we eased up, at 5-0 up when they were content to kick the shite out of us! The 5-0 scoreline being the reason I asked if that was our cup final! We weren't great against Atleti either, but they were worse. The less said about Brighton and today.

You can't deny we've been very average, every time we've conceded we've drawn or lost in the league, and those teams we've beaten, United aside, are hardly big names are they?

Look we were shite today but  the rest of your post is just bang average bordering on shite. 

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

If you bothered to read my posts, I said earlier in this thread we could have lost to Brighton. Since the start of the season, we've played 11 PL games and lost once, today. Id prefer we hadnt lost today but in football, shit happens. Even chelsea dropped points yesterday and city lost to Palace the week before.

We lose and it's all down to covid, FSG and fuck knows what else. Alli had a mare today. He should have stopped at least 2 of the goals. He wasnt the only one to have a bad game which all in all, is why we lost.

The other worry for me aside from our high risk almost kamikazee football is that this season is beginning to look like following a similar trajectory to last.

A lack of investment in the squad in the summer with claims that our youth will step up and our experienced players will all step up and there is no need for us to buy.

A good start to the season - but with flaws that are concerning and seem to be getting exposed/costing us slowly but surely.

Injuries to key players exposing holes in the squad....Less than ideal line ups lead to dropped points...just look at that midfield 3 we had no other choice but to field for 70 mins or so against Brighton.

Last season we came totally unstuck around December as injuries bit hard and it was obvious investment was needed to maintain the momentum of the team. None of real consequence was made until the summer when the problems from last season were to be fair fixed with the addition of the centre half we were so short of.

But the widely anticipated/talked about problems for this season that was ahead of us were not dealt with - namely...

A hard working/offering us legs in the middle of the park experienced replacement for Wijnaldum.

More forward cover to offer more from the bench and cover for this AFCON shite in Dec/Jan.

This is IMO a big part of the reason people are so pissed off today....not just because of a shite performance today on the back of a shite performance last week and 1 pt from 6 as a result - but because the same issues that hurt us so much last season are in danger of doing so again but in a different part of the park.

And just to add as well that this is exactly why the pundits widely predicted Liverpool wouldn't be competing for the title this year....Not because of a lack of quality but a lack of depth/suitable cover/back up....and it just being too much of an ask to keep expecting the same small group of players to perform at a dead high level week in week out, and the big drop off when likes of Oxlade and Origi are our go to back up options.

This is the big problem we have....We have a very good 1st team. But not a particularly great 2nd one. In truth bar Jota and maybe Thiago our 1st team has barely changed in 3 years.....We are still relying heavily on the same names to do the business. Every year we should be re investing and striving to improve and building from a position of strength, just refreshing and upgrading in little steps....and we aren't.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I told you at the beginning of the season that the midfield is fucked under any pressure and consequently, we would be great at times without winning anything. It just takes some a little long to catch on. The United game is meaningless to that point - it simply shows the kind of sides we will thrive against.

Arsenal and Tottenham took on £295 million at 0.5% interest. You did not understand the meaning of my post.