You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham (A) - Sun 7th Nov 2021 (4:30pm)

Trumo

The last game before yet another international break. It feels like there is one every fortnight, and managers like Southgate still feel the need to select a full-strength squad against the likes of San Marino whose only aim is to avoid a cricket score. The South American qualifying format is a big part of the problem too, with 18 matches per side, one of whom might require a 2-legged play-off against the top side in Oceania (the Aussies play in the Asian qualifiers) or a mid-table Asian outfit. And they want to play a Copa America every couple of years, AND take part in the Olympics. Anyway:

Class. Organisation. Ruthlessness. Bravery. Liveliness. Impact. Mindfulness. Effervescence. Yer ma. Grit. Urgency. Vim. Nous. Off-the-cuff. Rigour.

I don’t ask for much.

Last season’s game resulted in a highly composed 3-1 win with 3 really high-quality goals. Mo opened the scoring with a deft curler into the far corner after getting the ball on the right edge of the area. His second and our second was an absolutely beauty. A lightning counter attack saw Trent drive an exquisite pass cross-field into the path for Shaq. Ram Man had acres to carry the ball forward but instead played another inch-perfect cross-field ball to Mo on the edge of the area. Mo killed the ball stone dead with his first touch and tapped the ball past Fabianski with his second. It was glorious ‘Red Arrows’ stuff. Gini totally killed the game as a contest when some neat give-and-go’s between Bobby and Ox saw the Brazilian play it inside to Gini to roll past the helpless West Ham goalkeeper. I remember that game feeling like the first time in ages where Liverpool looked like Liverpool.

The last day of January 1976 saw the Reds travel to the old Upton Park. We were on our way to a second League and UEFA Cup double in 3 years, and the Hammers had won the FA Cup the previous season. This game was a totally one-sided affair settled by the old Toshack-Keegan combo. Batman claimed a hat-trick and Robin chipped in with the other. You can see the goals here 24 minutes in, and quality goals they are too. It’s noticeable just how little space there is between the pitch and the stands there. I know Upton Park got largely rebuilt in the 1990s but they seemed to also have loads more space. With fans getting tanked up before games, it would have been obvious which ones had turned up having imbibed an Aristotle of the most ping-pong tiddly in the nuclear sub.

January 1976 saw another great movie atop the box office. Anyone who argues that the 70s represents the greatest film era has a perfectly valid argument. It’s a decade unsullied by sequelitis, an over-abundance of CGI or absolute shite by has-beens who should have been put out to pasture long before. Stories were supremely well told and the emphasis was on the quality of the acting. Case in point? One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest. It won all 5 big Oscars (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay) and was only the second film ever to do so. Forget the Oscar plaudits as a sign of quality and just watch the thing if you haven’t already. The likes of The Shawshank Redemption owe it a huge debt of gratitude. Jack Nicholson gets all the plaudits as reluctant loony bin inmate RP McMurphy but believe me when I say everyone was at the top of their game for this one. That scene with the baseball commentary is something else.

West Ham are currently either one of the most improved teams in the league, or simply riding through a huge purple patch. It does appear that Moyes is getting a tune out of a lot of those players. At the very least, they don’t look like a 1-good-game-in-5 sort of team at the minute. But then, we are Liverpool. If we show up with the right attitude and do what we know we can, we could come away from the London Stadium with another emphatic win and 3 points. Just go there and get it done.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 13

Feels mad saying it when we are only just at 10 game mark, but yeah its a must win.

Chelsea are just not dropping pts and have another absolute nailed on 3 pts Saturday coming.

Gonna be tough as these are full of confidence at the moment and look decent - but that hopefully will mean they have a go at us and that could play into our hands.

Lets hope we get the 3pts we need and then all our players come through yet another fucking break for that poxy international shite unscathed.

I've got a bad feeling about this.... 

We need to keep the ball, control the game. Weird when we are under pressure and panic buttons are hit we don't keep the ball and play calmness back into the game we still try and back heel the ball between  two players in our own half. The whole being joint level on a record of unbeaten games gives me the heebeegeebees. 

The new breed of match going Arsenal fans are different, but I never used to mind Arsenal when they were at Highbury. The fans were sounder and less into the hooligan shit that Spurs, West Ham and Chelsea were in to. Always struck me they were less racist too.

Chelsea were always vile but West Ham get the silver medal.

Regarding the game, it will be very tough but we have to walk away with 3 points. 2-1 to us but some sketchy moments is my prediction.

14 minutes ago, Salou said:

Roberto Firmino has a serious hamstring injury and will be out for a while according to todays press conference...

Klopp reckons "more than four weeks although Bobby is a quick healer"

One bright spot is that for one of those weeks he won't be going away with Brazil and all the shite that entails  

Gomez and Jones out too and out of the international break

Back to reality with a reminder that the Uk number one at the time of the above mentioned trip to the fackin' east-end of 'that there' was this Spinal Tap rip off by Swedish au-pair triplets Abba. Originally born in the village of Braine-l'Alleud in Belgium the 3 of them were packed into a van by their dad and swiftly moved to Uppsala where they learnt how to cook and play chess. The inspiration for the song came when songwriter and gin fan Benny spent a summer in Liverpool on an exchange trip and the girl he played with spent too long hidden in an indoor game of hide and seek so tried to give her mum a clue. 

• Upvote 2