You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atlético Madrid (H) - CL, Wed 3rd Nov 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Very good performance tonight. We played with the right hunger and desire, didn't try to overdo it, didn't fall for Atletico's shenanigans and just kept it professional. We had a job to do and we did it.

I thought the starting XI all played extremely well, and the subs found it harder to make an impact because Atletico were already all about damage limitation by then. Bobby didn't really do aything and then had to go off. Taki was busy but unable to do much. Thiago looked rusty as fuck. Not sure Big Nat had a touch of the ball. Div had more involvement, with a run down the right that was checked by the ref getting it wrong and giving a foul against him, a header at the back post, and that long ranger at the end that ended up smashing a bus window as it passed along Walton Breck Road.

Have to mention the ref though. He was a bit Mike-Dean-law-unto-himself with a lot of his calls. We might have benefitted from his decision to sent Felipe off for a blatant foul followed by even more blatant dissent, but there were a flurry of yellow cards in the game that were nothing such. Diogo and Big Bird especially.

Anyway, qualification for the knockouts achieved at the earliest opportunity, and no need to go strong in the remaining games. I'd rather not lose against Porto mind you, because I absolutely HATE losing at Anfield.

17 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Fascinatingly, I was listening to Jurgen post match - he was asked the question about being able to play weakened sides now in the last 2 CL matches, because Liverpool have qualified and he said ‘no - the club earns big money in the CL for every game won, and we have to do the best for the club’ !! That’ll rattle a few sabres on this thread I imagine ;-)

Is it true that we get more for winning one CL game than we'd do for winning the League Cup final? That's pretty sobering. I guess if we want as much cash as possible for signings (and Salah) then we can't really complain if we don't rotate as much as some demand.

32 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Gutted for Ox, because he looked decent before he got injured.

Feels like he's stuck in a cycle now, much like Keita. Injured, come back, struggle to make an impact, have a few stinkers, play into some form, get injured again.

At some point the question has to be whether the periods of good form are worth the trade off of the bad games as they get back up to speed.

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Suarez was ultimately a mercenary and he's a cunt. That doesn't lend itself to being remembered fondly. It's not embarrassing or small time from the supporters, he's just not likeable.

One of our greatest ever players, cunt or otherwise. As for mercenary: at least he worked for his cash.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Boss said:

Not arsed about Simeone, but I am surprised by the treatment of Suarez. I understand it's "win at all costs" but we shouldn't have booed him off. 

Disagree, he burnt his bridges with us when we played Barca a few years back. His behaviour - especially for a former Red who was given more support by us than any club in his career - was disgraceful. Our club's name was dragged through the dirt thanks to this cunt and he repaid us by forcing a move out, and behaving like an utter shithouse when we played him. Fuck him, he deserved the boos.

24 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Is it true that we get more for winning one CL game than we'd do for winning the League Cup final? That's pretty sobering. I guess if we want as much cash as possible for signings (and Salah) then we can't really complain if we don't rotate as much as some demand.

We get $3.3m for each Champions League group stage win, about £2.4m. Winning the EFL Final, a club gets £100,000.

I thought ox was excellent in that left of the three, moved up the pecking order above Jones, who looks subdued but is still not a bad 7th choice to have. Tsimikas surely making a case to start a few more games over Robbo. We're much better with Matip and Van Dijk

Cracking result.

Group nailed now.

What a bunch of shithouses Atletico are - the worst in the game.

Good to see a ref not falling for their shite and dealing with it too.

Hope they end up in the uefa cup.

Another fucking injury the blot on an otherwise good night - we really are fucking cursed injury wise.